CSI: Blood Quantum false advertising

Discussion in 'Merchandise' started by phantomscreams, Jun 6, 2010.

1. phantomscreams

phantomscreams Hit and Run

So I just finished CSI: Blood Quantum by Jeff Mariotte and I have noticed that on the back of the book they have the cast shots they usually have... Dr. Robbins, Brass, Sara, Ray, Grissom, Cathrine, Nick, Greg, Hodges, and Wendy.

My problem is two of those characters aren't even in the book, Sara and Grissom... why are they on the back of the book then?

I figured they weren't in the book when I bought it this afternoon (I read fast), but I can't imagine why they were on the cover in the first place, other than to dupe less astute fans.

Other than that the book was very good and I recommend it to CSI fans.

2. Meta

Meta Hit and Run

I kinda wondered about that myself when I first got the book, not really sure why though...

3. Arkle

Arkle Dead on Arrival

Simple; whoever was in the main cast (i.e. the credit sequence) when the book was approved will be in the picture on the cover. Publishing moves slower than TV after all.

4. phantomscreams

phantomscreams Hit and Run

Except Grissom, Sara, and Ray have never been in the credits together. Grissom and Ray have never been together int he main cast roll, and Sara is just a guest star and has never appeared with Ray.

5. Arkle

Arkle Dead on Arrival

Oh, my bad. I missed Ray's name in there for some reason. Yeah, put that way it is a bit of a faux pas.

6. sheela2000

sheela2000 Civilian

Regarding your "Blood Quantum" story, back before the first European contacts, marriage outside the tribe was the norm (removed for spam). In my studies on biology and genetics, I learned that our Native elders did have extensive knowledge of biology, ecology, genetics, lethal recessives and the like. The only difference is that Western science quantifies, categorizes and classifies while Native science looks at the whole story. (The overused term is "holistic.")
    In California, where I come from, marriages were made at Big Times, or between tribes or families, in order to keep bloodlines from becoming inbred. I've heard about other parts of the continent where ritual kidnapping ensured that marriages were made outside the community; other tribes have other ways of solving the biological problem of inbreeding. (Ever heard a Navajo explain his or her clan relationships?)
    The myth of blood quantum is just that, a myth. Today, when a tribal member says he or she is a "fullblood," unless that person belongs to one of the really huge tribes like the Navajo, the extreme likelihood is that person has several tribes' worth of blood, and she or he is only a fullblood on paper -- the Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood, to be precise. In fact, the whole idea of blood quantum is an invention of the United States government that was meant to ensure that only tribal members were able to access the programs set aside for Indians (you know, inadequate health care, insufficient educational benefits and the like).

removed for spamming

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  7. shella2000

shella2000 Civilian

In California, where I come from, marriages were made at Big Times, or between tribes or families, in order to keep bloodlines from becoming inbred. I've heard about other parts of the continent where ritual kidnapping ensured that marriages were made outside the community; other tribes have other ways of solving the biological problem of inbreeding. (Ever heard a Navajo explain his or her clan relationships?)
    The myth of blood quantum is just that, a myth. Today, when a tribal member says he or she is a "fullblood," unless that person belongs to one of the really huge tribes like the Navajo, the extreme likelihood is that person has several tribes' worth of blood, and she or he is only a fullblood on paper -- the Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood, to be precise. In fact, the whole idea of blood quantum is an invention of the United States government that was meant to ensure that only tribal members were able to access the programs set aside for Indians (you know, inadequate health care, insufficient educational benefits and the like).

removed links

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010