"Code Blue Plate Special" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Oh ok, re Brass.

Anyone else really want to see Sara talking with Gil at the end of the ep? I'd have loved to hear what they talked about re the diner shooting.

2. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Okay, I mostly liked it excpet for a couple of things

I knew who did it at the beginning :(

Not so much on the Sara centric :(

Not a good night for me when it came to ships. Don't like Modges and I'm sensing a disturbance in the Force when it comes to GSR

Even DB and Barbara aren't in a good spot, guess it's understandable but soon let them work it out. Guess I'm terrified they might try DB/Finn

I think Greg was on a hair more than the premiere but then he vanished in the second half. Is this what the season will be like for him? If it is, I won't be a happy camper :shifty:

Got some more Brass this week :) but I wish he had been with Nick when interogating Vincient at the end

Hodges has never been to Franks? Aw :( maybe someday. I thought that's where they went post 73 Seconds

I thought Ecklie was going to end up back in the hospital
    or is that next week since Morgan was running through the hospital

Opening shot was cool :thumbsup:

Go Al! :thumbsup:

Glad there was more forensics, not sure how I feel about all the personal stuff. I guess I like and dislike it, I don't know

Can't think of anything else

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I thought it started off very, very strongly. The opening ten minutes or so honestly ranks as one of the best in the series' history in my opinion. It's just a shame it sort of fizzled out a bit as the story went on. I had a feeling that Vincent would be involved initially but not to what extent, but once they established the second guy I had a good idea what the result was.

It was pretty obvious that the stalker guy wouldn't be the perp but I still liked that last moment with him and Sara. I was disappointed there weren't a few more moments with them and if anything they could have done an almost separate case with the amount of material they had.

Is it just me or were some of the characters particularly feisty yesterday? (I mean that in a good way!) Sara with the stalker, Doc Robbins in his scene (how awesome was RDH last night!) and Brass was firing on all cylinders last night! :)

Quite liked the Morgan/Ecklie/DB moment in the hospital and I think the continuity from the premiere was nice but I could have done without that final last scene. I hated DB congratulating Finn for what was essentially a team-effort.

Speaking of Finn, did anyone notice that Sara/Nick/Greg seemed a bit miffed with her when she demanded an hour for the blood? I particularly noticed that Greg's look at her and his "there's no blood in the walkway" sounded a little sour or is that me? Anyway, I got the impression that those three weren't particularly thrilled with her leading the scene there.

It was a pretty solid episode overall, a lot better than the season premiere and I really, really loved seeing Sara/Nick/Greg/Brass as first responders and DB taking more of a backseat. Nothing fantastic but highly enjoyable.

Rating: 7.8/10

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I share your same concerns, Fang.

I was excited about the episode, but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I was ready to. I thought some 'stuff' detracted from the power of the crime story itself.
    This should have been an episode like Empty Eyes where we were drawn into the sadness of the situation: innocent lives lost, and these were ones who had a personal connection to the CSI's. Instead it was very uneven. Sadly, I wasn't as affected by the crime as I should have been, maybe because there was other storylines injected into the episode. Ecklie and Morgan and Hodges and DB's continuity issues from the premiere interfered with the flow or tone of the show, IMO.
    I loved seeing Sara's involvement and passion; I thought Brass and Al and Nick were appropriately intense; but the rest of the stuff just got in the way and seemed to be forced into the hour. And DB's and Finn's presence at the crime scene didn't have the same impact that a Sara/Nick/Greg/Brass scene would have had. I know Finn is suppose to be the blood spatter expert, but the original CSI's can more than carry their weight; her telling them to leave was off-putting, IMO.

And, yeah, I also knew who the killer was early on, especially when Greg was in the cooler. And that whole convoluted retelling, re-enactment with characters I didn't know was a mess. They should have spent more time on the victims, maybe. Just my opinion. IDK, I just thought the episode was off in the storytelling department. Weird flow.

And I couldn't get passed the idea that the stalker reminded me of Nate Haskell. With the resemblance he could have been his son, or younger brother. lol

I did love the opening fly-over of Vegas, though. And Jorja rocked it throughout the episode. Loved her final scene with the stalker dude. That really should have been the final scene of the episode, and not the DB/Finn one.

I guess an average episode overall; could have been so much better with the scenario they had to work with.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Yeah, Catherine never needed one of them to leave when doing the blood work. She (Finn) is not much of a team player and that is not a good thing imo. It makes it harder to warm up to her

Some good continuity and I liked that the department having some dirty people in it is still haunting them

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

This would have been a nice premiere episode (maybe with a few changes, though) and it was a satisfying installment. I think we saw Sara coming from a place that was similar to last season's "Bittersweet." I'm glad she's not constantly moody and upset like the early years, but I do like when she gets to have a case every once and again that she can get angry about.

It was good to see Akers and Metcalfe and I hope we see them more frequently this season. Keeping them in constant rotation with Mitch would be cool; they don't have huge parts but they are a part of CSI's history.

Funny how most crime shows are dealing with departments that are under the microscope as of late. :lol: Last night's SVU dealt with a case that the prime suspect quipped was only made to get the department out of the public eye after their corruption scandal.

A solid first episode from Andrew Dettmann. :thumbsup:

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I liked this episode more than the premiere episode because it had a little more team work until Finn had to take over and chase all the others out to do the blood splatter analysis. Sorry, but they are not making me like Finn anymore by having her boss the others around.

I kind of figured Vincent was guilty from the start.
    Agreed, the continuity was nice and on DB congratulating Finn once again for something that was a team effort.

The re-enactment was a little confusing to follow or maybe it was because Finn was leading the way again. I want to like her because I love Elisabeth Shue but the character is just rubbing me wrong like she seems to be some of the team.

Yep I noticed that and was not happy either.:scream:

8. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

I wasn't thrilled with this episode :/ I think because it was Frank's and with 12 years of sentimental value, I had too high hopes. I liked a lot, but there were some things I didn't at all.

Liked: Sara-centric. Jorja kicked ass once again like in Bittersweet. Did the last scene remind anyone of her leaving in Goodbye and Goodluck? I got that vibe. I liked the Ecklie/Morgan scene. Even a bit of Hodges was cute ;) Brass was phenomenal. I was really proud of Doc, too! I liked how Nick took charge near the end with Vince, even though it was a soft spot for him.

Disliked: Finn taking charge of the first scene! I was beginning to like her, but Catherine never did that. I think the team took offense. I would too, being that there's no I in TEAM! I didn't particularly like the last scene either. Why is it always leading back to Jules and DB??? It should've ended with Sara's scene! I'm not sure if I'm for Modges...I had a feeling Vince was involved, but still I don't know, I might have to watch again. Maybe I'll like it more a second time around. Is it bad that after all the hype I might like the premiere more?

I just really hope the writers don't fall back on DB/Finn city here. I want a team effort. And more Sara-centric (even another episode or two with crazy stalker guy :D) and some more Greg as others said wouldn't hurt. I agree with whoever said it would've been interesting to see Sara and Gil talk about this case. Frank's was a big part of his life, too. I'd give this a low b.

*Yes, the stalker did remind me of Haskell!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Why do you say that? I didn't notice anything unless I missed it.

10. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

It did bother me that DB left Finn in charge. Nick would have been the logical choice in my opinion.

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'll have to watch again to be sure, but the whole "leaving Finn in charge" idea never even crossed my mind. I thought he was referring to that particular crime scene and that she couldn't figure out on her own what happened by looking at the blood. I don't know...you guys are probably right, but I am going to choose not to think about it or I'll get mad. ;)

I guess that's the end of Frank's as far as happy little eating get-togethers?

I don't know that I totally thought it was Vincent up front, but when Greg's cell phone didn't work in the freezer (at first) I wondered how Vincent was able to call out. Then the stalker was such an obvious red herring that I never even considered him.

It wasn't as Sara-centric as I thought it would be...lots of good Nick time. :) And it was very light on DB which was a nice break after the first episode. I pretty much liked it...was a bit distracted by all of the mystery CSIs in the re-enactment tho. :lol: And I don't like the new flashback/transition technique much, but maybe I'll get used to it. Oh, and Doc and Dave were great too! :)

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

lol. Maybe that was my problem with the re-enactment and the flashback scenes. I didn't know who was real and who was fake, or much about who all the players were; except for Edie, whose compelling story sadly was buried under other stuff.

13. GrisApprentice

GrisApprentice Victim

Hi, everybody ! As I'm a newbie here I'm asking for permission to give my opinion ;)

I don't believe that Nick - after all that situation with Ray in LA - should be the logical choice. For me, Sara or Greg could be the one in charge. Actually, Greg has been doing a amazing job. He should be the elect.

By the way, it is only me or each episode that is centered on the old crew ends up being better that the ones centered on the new characters? :confused:

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Welcome to the boards, GrisApprentice! Of course your opinion is allowed! :)

I have to say tho that I think every member of the team has had their share of doing things that they shouldn't have or that weren't exactly in line with lab policy. If that's the criteria for a good leader, then I think they're all out of luck! :lol:

15. Dark CSI

Dark CSI Hit and Run

Finally! A return to the show we know and love! Thoughts on this episode:

Fantastic opening scene; set up the whole episode so nicely. It also established the characters of the victims so that it packed a bit more of a punch than usual. LOVED the interaction between Nick, Greg and Sara as they pulled up. It was so nice to see that moment between the original team, CSI seriously needs more of these (shout out to Greg not carrying a gun! :)). Also liked the emotion from Brass, we really haven’t seen enough from him in the last few episodes.

Finn’s ‘give me an hour with the scene’ was so precious, drama queen and irritating. :rolleyes: I am liking her less and less with every episode. Although we did get a nice irritated look from Nick and a smart but controlled comment from Greg; that tells me that they don’t consider Super-Finn so super. Catherine never needed everyone to leave her crime scene so that she could concentrate. I think if Finn needs silence to work it shows that she sucks at her job and should be FIRED.

Greg in the freezer; priceless! Especially when Morgan later questioned how Vincent got locked in the freezer and Greg gave an awkward ‘it happens easier than you think’ reply.

Nice interaction between DB and Ecklie; shows the mutual respect between them both. And I’m delighted to see that Morgan and Ecklie have started to work on their relationship. Oh and DB, FYI, Finn has nothing handled; see above and FIRE her!

Doc Robbins response when the stalker showed up was so cool. I wanted to applaud him. Also, the guy playing the stalker was nicely creepy but an obvious red herring. But I very much liked how Sara interacted with him; it was a nice nod to the early days of the show and how her character used to get so emotionally involved sometimes.

Brass’ phone call with the sheriff when he guessed the answer was staring at him in his office and then he hung up on her? Then proceeded to rip her a new one? Classic Brass and one of my favourite scenes in the episode.

I didn’t see the end coming. That scene between Nick and Vincent was very powerful, nicely played by George Eads. He’s always been very good at the emotional scenes. The scene with Sara and Ronald also packed a punch; that Edie shouldn’t have been there for the shooting but stayed because of Ronald was very poignant.

Irritated that we still had to get a family moment with DB and the wife. DB, I love ya buddy but I don’t CARE that you’re having marital troubles. I’ve seen quite enough of your family in previous episodes and from what I’ve seen of other fans, so have they. Time to dial down the family visits and phone calls by several decibels. Oh, and good work to Finn? :eek: What the hell did she do except get stumped!!! The big work in the end was done by Nick!

Overall, a very solid episode reminiscent of the early days of the show. Plenty of showcasing of all characters (not enough of Greg but then, I’m only saying that as a Greg fan! ;)) and a strong, interesting plot that focused on the case and the science. I really didn’t like the new changing between scenes they were using in this episode, it felt very jarring and not as smooth as older episodes. But I know they’ve just gone digital so maybe that’ll improve.