CHRISTMAS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Desertwind, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Normally I put up the lights in december, My mom use to start after thanksgiving, but thats because it was a seven foot tree very large around and then there were the lights that went up over the fireplace, and up doorways, we only put the icicle lights up around the front of the house. Now its me and dad, we use a four foot fiber optic tree and 2-100 count blue lights around the room. Course it now takes me this long cause I have to go through storage to find all the stuff lol.

Christmas eve the relatives (sibs and neices, nephews) come out open gifts have snacks and we ship them home as early as possible lol. I love my relatives but its torcher. Then on christmas day (when mom was alive we had turkey and the whole nine yards) now we have a small ham (one brother with no kids or a wife comes out) and we have dinner. my other brother is married with kids and my sister has her daughter.

Okay my two songs for the christmas season.

Grandma
    "Grandma got run over by a reindeer.
    Walking home from our house Christmas eve.
    You can say there's no such thing as Santa,
    but as for me and grandpa we believe.

Jeff Foxworthy "Redneck Christmas"
    12 pack of bud
    11 wrestlin' tickets
    Tin a' copenhagen
    9 years probation
    8 table dancers
    7 packs of redman
    6 cans of spam
    5 flannel shirts
    4 big mud tires
    3 shot gun shells
    2 huntin dogs
    and some parts to a Mustang GT...

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Thanks for the music Destiny ! Redneck Christmas is genius.

Well, it is officially Christmas time as my work Christmas party was last night! Which also meant I got to open my first present from 'secret santa' in the office...It was a pair of socks, which is not a promising start, although they are Christmassy ones! My secret santa was the young guy who has only worked for a company for 5 weeks, so he did quite well considering, whereas I drew my sister (we actually sit next to each other, so weird) so she got to choose her own present.

I have just been to my Mum's house to 'discuss' Christmas day and apparantly we are having turkey this year. I don't know why we needed to discuss it as we have turkey every year, even though I don't like it. This year it will be just me, the husband and my Mum. And to add to the Christmas joy, my Dad and his wife will be coming over to my Mum's in the morning as well as my sister and her husband. Great family get together.... The usual tale of broken families...

Well, I'm off to go and make myself into a dancing elf to send to everyone at work! :lol:

3. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

You were being a smart-aleck, so a smart-aleck gets the five-year-old version of his name, just like kindergarten. :lol: How's Mudpie doing? And yourself? How are you doing, Shane? See, I'm attempting to be nice again and mend fences. :p

4. lovers

lovers Civilian

i love Christmas its so great.I mostly always get clothes or other boring stuff but friend might get the CSI game or season 6 yes i love CSI

5. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Well, I guess it was the bad, ugly and evil WillowsWannaBe to come up with that for first in this thread. :p

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

^LOL. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut to that. :lol:

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Here's a list of probably every Christmas Carol.. ever.. and then some.. I love almost all of these ;)especially "Oh, Holy Night" and the Halellujah Chorus" sang it in choir in school & it still gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes :(

http://www.christmas-carols.net/

8. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I love O Holy Night, too. I remember listening to The Corrs singing it one year. It's such a beautiful song.

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I actually don't know. It's same with every holiday we spend (such as MayDay). I mean on 24th you eat Christmas dinner (and some people still leave the food on the table for that night, so everyone can eat whenever they want), you go to sauna and Santa Claus visits :D I guess 25th is meant to be calm and quiet and in respectful athmosphere.

I mean, the meaning of sauna on 24th is the fact that you are clean when the big day comes. It's like for getting ready for the 25th.

I cannot find the reason. Probably has some traditions... mixed with our own beliefs and christianity.

Or then it's just because booze hasn't been allowed on 25th so we've needed to drink on 24th :rolleyes: :p

As for keeping food on the table.. well fridge food goes to fridge. I keep eating ham thru the night tho :rolleyes:
    Man it's so good with mustard.

So yeah...stores used to be closed on 24th and now there's big argument should those be open or not.

10. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Thanks Ducky. :) It seems fitting that Santa starts his journey in Northern Europe, as Lapland is there, and he lives there, right? :D
    Aha! Sounds like the real reason is coming out now. ;)
    I love ham and mustard! I also love cold turkey with stilton. Christmas food is such a treat, plus the port, sherry and liqueur chocolates. :D

11. Ducky

^I know :D Our christmas food contains: ham, trout (ugh), potatoes + white sauce (boiled eggs in it), then these four... carrot-casserole, turnip-casserole, liver-casserole and potato-casserole. Tho I only eat liver one... but it's the most rare (since it's eaten often otherwise, others are mostly on Christmas).. then salad where's beetroot, apples and carrot. (it's eatable :p )
    and then all kinds of saltfishes, such as baltic herring it's something called "suutarinlohi" Picsy here the salad I mentioned is on the right. and herring of course!

There's few options what kind of fish (garlic or just onion or mustardd) and rice porridge of course :D with plumsoup (orthatwhaeverthickenedfruitjuicething).

Ah I'm so going to love the food :D

12. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Letters to Santa Flood Alaskan Town
    North Pole, Alaska, Flooded With Letters to Santa, Even Ones Without Stamps and Addresses

By RACHEL D'ORO

ANCHORAGE, Alaska Dec 9, 2006 (AP)— It's a name that needs no address. Everyone knows Santa Claus lives at the North Pole. So letters sent to the roly-poly icon find their way to the small town of North Pole deep in Alaska's interior, including those simply addressed to Santa. Last year, 120,000 letters arrived from 26 countries, not counting the thousands with no return address.

Those that do have return addresses usually get a reply and a North Pole postmark in a holiday effort that has delighted children all over the world for decades.

Letters trickle in year-round in the community of 1,600, where light poles are curved and striped like candy canes and streets have names such as Santa Claus Lane and Kris Kringle Drive. Around Thanksgiving, they start pouring in by the thousands each day as Christmas approaches. Even stampless letters get through, a rare exception for the U.S. Postal Service.

Full story at: http://i.abcnews.com/US/wireStory?id=2712947

13. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

^ That's insane :eek:. I remember writing to "Santa" when I was a young child but these days I help my younger cousins do that. They've almost caught on but they're still not there yet :lol:. I think I was 11 or 12 when I caught on.

Man, all I want this year is a one way ticket to Greece & to spend the rest of my holidays basking in the sun on one of the southern islands, like Paros or Thira or even Tinos. My papou's village of Steni just had 5 meters of snow not too long ago so I probably won't be going there. :(

14. Ducky

Santa so does not live in North Pole :|

Damn americans giving false info to the kids! He lives in Finland! Damnit!

Check this out

SantaClaus.fi (english)
    Then you can order official letter from Santa (lol, typed Satan first :lol: ) to your kids...

Santa Claus Greeting Letter

So why the people... English, Americans, Japanese, Spanish, Italians fly to Rovaniemi in December and not to North Pole? :rolleyes:

The letter thing is awesome, me thinks, even you have to pay for it (well it's damn lot of letter what they create). Seen a few kids and they've been so excited when recieving those :D

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

^ yeah, he definately lives in Finland! You can do daytrips from England to visit him...When I have children I will definately take them! :lol:

Sadly (it is still a painful memory) I can remember when I found out that santa wasn't real. I went to a church school and our vicar told us all during assembly that he wasn't real and was just fictional and that really it was the parents who buy and distribute all the presents. Obviously this was a long time ago but people around here still talk about how mean he was, I was 5 at the time, and some parents were so annoyed (probably because their kid's childhood had been ruined) that they contacted a national newspaper and he was front page news! Must have been a slow news day. :)