Character dynamics on CSI: Cyber

Discussion in 'CSI: Cyber' started by Faylinn, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

To make use of our shiny new CSI: Cyber forum, I thought I'd open a new thread. I was originally going to ask 'who is your favorite character?', but then I realized I couldn't answer that question myself. :p For me, the best part is the dynamics between the characters, and I was curious about how you all felt about them as well.

My thoughts: The Krumitz/Nelson/Raven trio (and the Krumitz/Nelson pairing in particular) is a funny, entertaining dynamic, of course. I really love the way Ryan and Elijah interact with each other as well, and the way each of them works with the ~younger and hipper~ hackers. The relationship between Ryan and Nelson in particular is nice to see, with him still coming to terms with his role in the team and his change from a blackhat hacker to one of the good guys (while she deals with Tobin's past betrayal). I can understand why TPTB opted to get rid of Sifter for season two, but I will miss his dynamic with Ryan in particular, but also with the young'uns. ;)

So what about you guys, do you have any favorite character dynamics on the show? Any you dislike? Any you'd like to see explored? How do you think DB Russell will fit in and interact with the rest of the cyber team?

2. whennow

whennow Dead on Arrival

Ryan and tobin had the best interactions in that flashback episode. The faith turning to betryal! Then ryan and Russell but that was on CSI but maybe coming soon to cyber. The professional admiration! Next is ryan and Nelson for her trying again.

3. Faylinn

Yeah, the dynamic between Ryan and DB was interesting on CSI, I'm curious to see how that translates to Cyber. And Ryan/Tobin was a good one, too, especially in the scene where she confronted him in CTOC about what he'd done before he was arrested. (I thought they were going to have her be tricked by him in jail, but I was pleasantly surprised that she was a step ahead of him. I half-expected them to let him escape or something, setting up another longterm nemesis to chase. Of course, that could happen in season 2 for all I know. ;))

4. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Ok. Now you've got my attention... I'm totes gonna seek a deeper info/spoilers of this show..

5. Faylinn

;) Can't hurt to give it a try. If you got annoyed by overly high-tech stuff on the other CSIs, it might not appeal to you, but I've enjoyed it. I think it has the potential to really improve during season two, thanks in no small part to the characters and their relationships. It seems like it should be a weird combination, Patricia Arquette and James Van Der Beek and Bow Wow--but somehow, it works for me.

6. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I'm actually curious about cast here. Techs just makes it more cool for me bc I like high tech stuff (a bit fancier than Miami, lol)

And since such is quite popular these days (cyber crimes gets more on spot nowadays) I believe show will be good.
    And just when I complain abt it not being on the airing list here I hear commercial saying otherwise.. So if I get the undisturbed chance I'll give it a try

7. Faylinn

And I'm curious about your opinion of the cast/character dynamics. :D I always thought Miami was a little bit cheesy (and that's not necessarily a bad thing lol!), so I think the comparison might be apt (because Cyber is kinda cheesy, let's be honest haha). When you think about it, there was actually quite a bit of the high tech stuff on the other CSIs over the years, especially more recently. Cyber just takes it farther than that, obviously. ;)

Avery has that ~profiler thing going for her, where she reads people. Elijah is the muscle, although he's also surprisingly knowledgeable about the tech side of things (surprising because the character has that added dimension, when I might have expected him to always be like 'explain it to me, nerds.' lol). Simon was the older boss who didn't understand most of this stuff but generally trusted the young ones to do their jobs--I'll miss him, but I'm curious to see the dynamic between DB and the young techs. DB isn't stepping into the same role, but as an older guy I'm curious to see how he interacts with them. Anyway, I'm rambling. :p What I was getting at is that the three techs have a fun dynamic as the young, brilliant ones, and it's really interesting to see how the other (older) characters interact with that.

Probably because I'm 30, and it's always interesting to think about how my little sister (who is 21) grew up with computers in a way I didn't. My family didn't have a computer until I was a freshman in high school, and right now I'm one of the more tech savvy people in my family--but this isn't saying much, my mom still has trouble using the internet sometimes. :p So I'm kind of in a transitional position, I use technology without having been immersed in it my whole life the way younger kids these days seem to be--I'm kind of in between Elijah and the three techs in terms of age, and I find Elijah the most relatable tech-wise. I don't get all of it, but I'm savvy enough to understand most of what's going on. ;)

Who am I kidding, I'm probably more like Simon. I couldn't hack or do anything impressive to save my life, haha. :oops:

Let us know how you feel once you've watched it. It's the kind of show where I'm like 'You might not like it, but you might not hate it!' You never know what someone is into.

8. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

As I already posted on another thread, I got to watch second episode (tvplay app had only that, possibly they have that "allowed for this number of days" rule) and I can say I liked it.
    Dunno yet their names except for that blonde hacker girl- Raven, I believe.
    She seemed rather cool lass and liked how she calmed the new guy at the end.
    That smartalec guy (fat with glasses) was just hilarious with his attitude towards the newbie, lol.

The boss seemed rather serious but with a hint of having slightly less "I'm all about work" attitude.
    And yeah that profiling thing about her was so like Lie To Me or CM to me.

Though dunno about the show title being CSI when they are actually under FBI. I would find FBI Cyber bit more appropriate. But that's just me and my "point-on" thinking :D

9. Faylinn

I guess profiling gives Avery more of an old school talent, to contrast with the young hackers and affect how she interacts with the rest of the team. That said, I thought it was a little too obvious with the zooming-in and whatnot. :p

Haha, yes, I love the interaction between Krumitz (the one with glasses, lol) and Nelson (newbie, heh). There's a lot of banter, and it's obvious from reading the cast members' twitter accounts that they all get along well offscreen and have a blast working together--I think that translates onscreen as well, and I really dig their (admittedly still-developing) friendship. I dig all of the friendships, really. :D

10. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I know what you mean. And I truly adore when cast gets along on and off-screen. It always gives to both sides some good that shows in a way.
    Actually, if I were an actress, I'd defo be looking into having great off-screen frienship with fellow mates because I do actually believe it adds value to the on-screen appearance (or whatever if I made any sense at all, lol)