CaRWash - The Last Smile

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by _Calleigh_, Aug 21, 2006.

1. _Calleigh_

_Calleigh_ Coroner

Oneshot. Song: Angels Fall First, by Nightwish.

THE LAST SMILE

An angelface smiles to me
    Under a headline of tragedy
    That smile used to give me warmth
    Farewell - no words to say
    beside the cross on your grave
    and those forever burning candles...

Hundreds of pictures scattered on the floor. The window left shut open despite the rain pouring outside. The lights all off even if the night has fallen.

Silence.

Only silence and nothing more.

Because tears have no voice.

The large living room is dark. The only pale lights come from the outside, from the city and the lightnings. Spring has just begun, but winter won’t seem to pass.

It’s cold. It’s too cold.

The room might look empty, but there’s a petite figure sitting on the floor.

Her arms are wrapped around her knees, where her forehead is leant. Long blond hair lies lank on her shoulders, hiding her face. Soundless sobs shake her bare shoulders.

There’s no one else around. It’s just her and her memories. Old, useless memories that are driving her crazy.

There’s a broken frame next to her. The pieces of a torn picture lie among the glass fragments. There are hands friendly holding each other and two smiles lost in that chaos. A birthday party. Happiness. Two smiles that nobody will ever see again. Two hands that have been separated forever.

The phone starts ringing, but she won’t answer. She hasn’t moved from her spot for hours, or so it seems.

A long beep comes from the answering machine. The red light is blinking.

Calleigh.” Eric’s voice suddenly fills the room. “Calleigh, please. I know you’re there, just answer, please. I’ve been trying to call you all the night. The guys and I are very worried for you. We’re here if you need us, you know… Take care, okay? Will you?

A loud beep follows the message, then the red light stops blinking.

She doesn’t want her friends to worry, but she can’t do anything to reassure them. She can't tell them she’s fine, because she isn’t, and they know. They know so well.

And she would like to run away from there, away from that place so full of painful ghosts, but all the strength and the courage she once had, now are gone.

She can feel the emptiness around her. She can sense the emotions buried in all those pictures coming back to haunt her. They were happy days. Other days. Days that would never rise again.

She wonders why it happened and why so soon.

There are some things she’s never managed to say, and it hurts to know that the words she most wished to pronounce will never be spoken.

She lifts her head from her arms and, shaking, she looks up.

Her pale face is crossed by cold tears. She can’t remember when she started crying, but the pain seems never-ending and she just can’t stop.

“Where are you?” she sobs, looking out of the window.

Her voice gets lost in the air, and she knows all her prayers will remain unanswered.

“Where are you?” she desperately cries, holding her head with her hands. “Why aren’t you here? Why?”

Nobody can hear her.

Nobody will walk in with a cup of hot chocolate and tell her that everything is going to be fine. Nobody will make her stand up and face life again.

She doesn’t know what life is anymore.

They were friends, but lately she has realized there was something more.

There was something that went beyond friendship in the way he used to wrap his arms around her whenever she felt lonely or frail. She used to find his eyes on her every time she looked up searching for him. He was always there when she needed him, and now she wonders what she’s going to do without him.

Because she needs him now, but he isn't there anymore.

She’s sure he knew how she felt, how she still feels, but they never had the chance to tell each other about what they had inside.

And now it’s too late.

She has a withered rose in her hand. He gave it to her on Valentine’s Day, blushing when she noticed he hadn’t brought any for Alexx and Valera. She has kept it on her night table since then. It was like having him near, protecting her through the distance.

Now she needs him more than ever, and all she has of him was that rose. Lifeless and colourless.

She’s going back to work tomorrow, faking a broken smile, pretending that time will heal her wounds, but the bruises and the scars on her heart will always be there.

“I miss you so much.”

Her voice dies in a whisper and soon angst overwhelms her again

She’s alone and she’ll be forever. No matter how many people will come to find her.

He left her and he took her soul with him.

The phone is ringing again, but nobody will answer.

A newspaper lies under the couch, untouched. She doesn’t want to look at it.

The title on the front is big, to stress the importance of the article.

Young hero gives his life to save a child.

There’s a large picture in the middle of the page, a face that people have already forgotten.

But she will never forget of him, because he is the man she loved. He is the man she will always love.

That’s how she will always remember Ryan: with that bright smile on his face, and his hand in hers.

Needed elsewhere
    To remind us of the shortness of our time
    Tears laid for them
    Tears of love, tears of fear
    Bury my dreams, dig up my sorrows
    Oh, Lord why
    The angels fall first?

2. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Excellent! really excellent **claps hands**

Sissi

3. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Lunie-Pooh, I just absolutely love it, hunn!

4. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

aw I'm crying you killed Ryan, UGH. OH but that was awesome, really awesome. At least he died a hero. Seriously though that was really great and I love it.

5. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

aww i loved it! my eyes were watering :) your really goodd.