CaRWash - Here Without You

_Calleigh_

Coroner
My first (and non beta'd) attempt with CaRWash ff (I'm such an incurable multishipper :lol:). Hope it's not that bad. :D

Summary: Ryan and Calleigh have secretly been together for six months, until one day something horrible happens to one of them. How will the other cope with this? [Angst and Romance]

HERE WITHOUT YOU

The night was peaceful and silent in Miami. Winter had come and it was the coldest of the last few years. The house was dark and quiet and the only audible noise was the faint ticking of the clock in the sitting room.
Suddenly a phone rang and a perfectly manicured hand reached out sleepily for it.
“Hallo?” Calleigh said in a husky voice, rubbing her tired eyes with the free hand.
“Calleigh, it’s Horatio.” Said the voice at the other end of the phone. “There’s an emergency, I need you to come to the lab as soon as you can. Eric’s already coming, I’m try to find Ryan too, but he’s unavailable.”
Calleigh’s heart skipped a beat as she glanced down at the bleeper lying on the floor in front of her bed among several pieces of clothing.
“I’ll be there in ten.” She said. “And don’t worry about Ryan, I’ll find him.”
“Thanks, Calleigh.”
She closed the call and sighed, pulling some hair away from her face.
“Hey.” She whispered, leaning down on the figure sleeping on her side.
A groan emerged from the blankets and the figure stirred, turning to her.
“Cal.” He mumbled, opening his eyes. “What the hell-?”
“It was Horatio.” She said, brushing his hair and placing a soft kiss on his lips. “There’s an emergency at the lab.”
The young man yawned and sat up, exposing his bare chest to her sight.
“This means we’ll have to put off our breakfast in bed, I assume…” he replied complainingly.
Calleigh stood up, wearing nothing more than her lingerie.
“Precisely.” She confirmed, as she headed out the room, brushing her long silky hair.
“Oh, and, Ryan?” she added, turning back for a moment. “I think you should charge your battery.” And she pointed at the bleeper on the floor.

“Thanks for coming, guys.” Horatio said when Calleigh and Ryan entered the lab. “The whole night shift is on a tough case. We’ll have to handle the other cases.”
Calleigh and Ryan looked at each other questioningly. Apparently Horatio hadn’t noticed the fact they had arrived together even though Calleigh’s house was five minutes away from the lab, while Ryan’s was at least half an hour.
“Ryan, you and Eric are going to the port. DB found on a yacht.”
Ryan nodded and cast a quick look at Calleigh, blinking while he knew Horatio wasn’t watching, and went to find Eric.
“Calleigh, you have a robbery. Someone stole forty-eight guns from a private collection in Cuconut Grove.” Horatio added, handing her a folder.
“Are you kidding me?” she exclaimed, examining the contents of the folder.
“No kidding.” He answered. “Nobody got hurt. You only have to talk to the owner of the guns and inspect the crime scene.”
“Fine.” She sighed, checking the time on her watch. Three o’clock in the morning. It was going to be a long night.
On her way to Coconut Grove, Calleigh nibbled a couple of croissants Ryan had bought her on their way to the lab. She smiled thinking about how caring and loving he had proved since they had started seeing each other.
It had happened so naturally they had barely realized they were actually dating. It all began with a beer and a friendly chat at a pub after a shift, then they started having dinner together and going out, planning their days off together.
The real twist had happened six months before, when, after one of their dinners, Ryan had brought her home.

“Thanks for the beautiful dinner. I really enjoyed it.” She said with a huge smile, as he walked her to her door.
Ryan returned the smile, looking straight into the green of her eyes.
“You say that every time.” He said.
He had that sweet look he had been wearing for a while lately and she simply adored the way he shyly put his hands in his pockets when he was secretly embarrassed.
“Because every time you make it beautiful.” She replied automatically, opening the door.
They stared at each other for a couple of seconds without saying a word, simply enjoying each other’s presence.
“Want to have a coffee?” she asked casually, pointing with her head at the inside of her house.
The grin on Ryan’s face widened.
“I would love to.”
Calleigh closed the door behind them and turned to him.
“Why don’t you-“
He didn’t let her finish the sentence. Calleigh barely noticed she had dropped her purse when Ryan’s lips met hers in the hottest kiss she had ever experienced. For a second she felt dizzy and unaware of the circumstance, then he suddenly pulled apart, staring at the floor.
“Calleigh, I’m sorry. I’d better g-“
“Don’t.” she whispered, caressing his face, leaning her forehead on his. “Don’t” she repeated and she kissed him again.
After a moment of surprise, his hands wrapped firmly around her waist, gently stroking her back. Calleigh knew what was going to happen, and as her shirt fell on the floor, she chose not to stop it.

Due to works on the road, Calleigh had to park the car a block away the address Horatio had given her and cover the rest of the distance on foot. When she arrived at the mansion, she found a young cop waiting for her in front of the gate.
“Agent Duquesne?” he asked her when she got off the car and approached him.
“Yes.” She answered, looking around. There was nothing but darkness. “Where’s the crime scene?”
The man shrugged, sighing.
“I’m Officer Tyson. Apparently it was a false alarm.” He said. “Whoever made the call wasn’t the owner of this house. Mr Harrison, the real owner, has been away for a fortnight and the house is empty. Besides he declared he hasn’t got any firearms collection, so I guess it was just some bad joke.”
Calleigh rolled her eyes.
“Oh, great!” she commented, exasperated. “No crime scene, no crime, no criminologist needed.”
“I’m sorry.” The cop said, getting into his car.
“It’s not your fault.” Said Calleigh with a sigh. She watched the cop drive away, then she turned on her heels and walked back to her car.
The cold of December was sharp and she shivered under the piercing touch of the wind. She had never heard such a creepy, unnatural silence.
When she finally spotted her car on the other side of the road, her lips curled up with relief. She normally wasn’t afraid of darkness nor of being alone, but that night there was something strange in the air, something that made her feel uncomfortable.
She quickly reached the Hummer and opened it nervously. She barely had the time to put her kit inside that someone suddenly grabbed with violence and put something on her mouth. She knew it was choloform. She knew she had not to breathe and not to struggle, but she couldn’t help it. After a short while she started feeling sick and everything went black. All that was left of her was a lost earring.

“Horatio, have you seen Calleigh?” Ryan asked, entering Horatio’s office at the beginning of the day shift.
Horatio looked up from his desk and shook his head.
“Nobody has seen her since tonight.” Ryan said. “I thought she’d be back by now.”
“Call her. Maybe she found something important, or she may be struck in the traffic. I know that zone is being restored.”
“I’ve already tried several times, but she won’t answer.” Said Ryan. His voice showed he was clearly nervous.
Horatio’s face became worried. In that moment the phone rang.
“Caine.” He said. “Tripp, slow down, I can’t- What?”
Ryan listened stoned, his heart furiously beating. The more the conversation between Horatio and Tripp went on, the more he felt agitated.
“Are you sure?” Horatio was saying, his brows furrowed. “Ok. Thanks, Frank.”
When at last he lifted his eyes, Ryan immediately felt something was wrong.
“What’s up?” he asked in concern. “Horatio, what happened to Calleigh?”
Horatio sighed, joining his hands and bending his head.
“Tripp said there was no robbery. The officer who was with her got back to the police station three hours ago.” Ryan clearly felt his heart stop in that precise moment. “A few minutes ago a patrol found her Hummer parked in Coconut Grove.”
“No!” he muttered in disbelief. That was not happening.
“Calleigh’s missing.”

TBC...

Oh, it's great! And there aren't many mistakes as far as I can see. I really like it (duh, it's CaRWash! :p) Continue soon!

New chapter, sorry for the long wait! It's very short, I know, but I have to study for my exams, so i did my best.(let me know if you find any mistake, especially typing, since I haven't re-read it yet ^^) :D

TRAPPED

Calleigh didn’t know where she was. She was lying on a wet stony floor and her hands were cuffed behind her back to a pipe on the wall. The room was dark and cold and there was one only window near the ceiling, not large enough to let a person pass through it. The morning sun was shining out side, among the leaves of a tree. There was a strange sweetish scent in the air.
Why was she there? What had happened? Whoever had locked her in there had taken her gun and her distinctive and anything else she had with her.
She struggled to sit up and when she managed, she felt dizzy and weak. She knew she might have had a concussion, so she tried to stay calm and rested her head against the wall, reflecting. All she could remember was the fake robbery and the call she had received from Horatio.
She looked out of the window again and she noticed she was in a basement and the leaves didn’t belong to a tree, but to a bush. According to the position of the sun it was about ten. She thought about Ryan and how worried he must have been.
In that moment she heard someone unlock the metal door. The head of a young man appeared in the faint light.
“Miss Duquesne,” he said with an evil grin, approaching her. “I’m glad you’re awake.”
Calleigh stared at him stoned, her green eyes wide open, while he knelt down next to her and placed one of his hands on her cheek. She didn't wonder how he knew her name, she knew he had her badge and her distinctive.
“You’re even more beautiful than I remembered.” He continued, brushing a lock of her hair behind her shoulder.
“Get away from me!” She hissed, wriggling.
He chuckled, grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at him.
“You’d better behave yourself, princess.” He warned her. “You’re mine now.”
Calleigh’s eyes were full of hate, but she had to admit to herself she was scared. She was completely powerless in front of a stranger who seemed to have anything but good intentions.
He tried to caress her face, but, again, she wriggled.
“Don’t be so coy, sweetie,” he whispered in her hear, violently grabbing her by the hair. “You know, I’m a shrink, I can interpret you behaviour.” He gave a faint laugh. “And if you act like this, it means you’re trying to hide something else.”
Calleigh swallowed, her wrists aching because of the cuffs.
“I can sense your fear, princess.” He continued. “How’s it feel? Uh? Doesn’t it give you chills? It does to me."
“What the hell do you want from me?” she burst, feeling nauseated under his touch.
“Oh, princess, I’m disappointed and even a little hurt you don’t remember of me.” He made her turn her face to him and fleered. “But it’s okay, we have time to remember and to know each other better.”
He released her and stood up, then went to the door and opened it.
“We have a lifetime,” he said. “As long as it lasts.” And he went away, locking the door again, leaving Calleigh frozen.
Ryan, please, I need you.

“Whoever it was, he wanted her.” Horatio stated, inspecting the Hummer. “He left the car and everything else. He knew what he was looking for.”
“And he found it.” Said Eric, frustrated and angry.
He and Ryan were bent on the ground, searching for any piece of evidence. Ryan couldn’t stand the thought Calleigh was somewhere out there, probably in danger, and there was nothing he could do about that.
“Damn bastard!” he cursed.
“Mr Wolfe.”
Ryan lift his eyes and saw Horatio looking at him, his shades in his hand.
“We’ll find her.”
Ryan nodded with a sigh.
“I know.” She whispered. “But I still have an unpleasant feeling.”
“Hey, guys, look at this.”
Eric was standing up, holding something in his gloved hand. It took Ryan a second to recognize what it was. the first time he had seen it had been when he was still attending university, during a lecture, and now he would always remember that minuscule white golden flower. It was one of the pair of earrings Calleigh was wearing the first time he saw her.
“It’s Calleigh’s.” he said, studying it in Eric’s hand.
“Are you sure?” Horatio asked, joining them.
“One hundred per cent.” Ryan confirmed. “And here” he reached out to collect something from under the Hummer. “there is something else.”
He stood up and opened his palm, showing a black button.
“She fought.” Horatio observed. “And if the kidnapper let her fight, this means that he wanted her alive.”
Ryan cast him an anxious look. Who could ever want to kidnap Calleigh?
“There are traces of a white powder on the auto body.” Horatio went on.
“Cocaine?” Eric guessed, still holding the earring.
Ryan observed the substance and relieved a sample.
“I don’t think so.” He answered, then he run a finger on it and took it to his mouth. “It tastes sweet.”
Horatio placed his hands on his hips, furrowing.
“Sugar?”
Ryan nodded.
“Probably.”
“We have a missing CSI, one of her earrings, a button and traces of sugar. What does this lead us?”
Horatio put on his shades and looked away.
“Let’s go to the lab and find out.”

TBC...

EVIDENCE OF THINGS UNSEEN

“Lieutenant, I have the results you asked me.”
Ryan looked up and saw Valera standing on the doorstep, holding a piece of paper in her hand.
“Thank you, Valera.” Horatio said, taking the document and giving her a tired smile.
Valera lingered for a moment and her look moved to Ryan.
“I hope you’ll find her soon.” She faltered. “Of all the people I know, I can’t believe this happened to her…”
Ryan noticed her eyes had become watery and he felt his heart sink. Why couldn’t it be him?
“We’ll find her.” Horatio assured her. “This is a promise.”
Valera nodded, fighting back the tears, and went away in silence.
“I shouldn’t have let her go on her own.” Ryan sighed in frustration. “I should have known something was going to happen. I-“
“This is not your fault.” Horatio said. “But I understand your feelings.”
Ryan studied him questioningly: he had a strange sad smile on his lips, and his look was full of sympathy.
“I know how much you care for her,” Horatio continued, going to face him. “Better than what you think.”
“I don’t wanna lose her, Horatio.” Ryan said, feeling his own voice trembling for the angst he was bearing inside. “I- I-“
Horatio put an hand on his shoulder and squeezed it.
“I know, Ryan, I know. This is why I need you to be strong.”
Ryan realized it had been the first time Horatio had called him by his first name. He felt Horatio trusted him, and so did Calleigh: if he wanted to save her, he had to give the best of himself.
“The analysis of the substance we found on the Hummer” Horatio explained, reading the paper Valera had given him. “Confirm what we had already guessed: it’s sugar. More precisely, it is a type of sugar cultivated only in South America, mainly destined to be sold in supermarkets.”
Ryan read the results.
“Maybe someone who works in a bakery?”
“I doubt that.” Horatio replied. “The sugar we found had not been refined yet.”
“This means it had recently been cropped.”
“Correct. And this peak in the composition” Horatio pointed his finger onto the chart. “is amid.”
Ryan frowned.
“Amid?” he took the paper in his hand. “It is used as anti-binder in the refining process. This means that sugar came from an industry.”
“Exactly.” Horatio said. “And there are two sugar industries in this area: Williams and Bradford.”
“Fine.” Commented Ryan. “Now all we have to do is-”
But all of a sudden something sparkled in his mind. It had been one year before, but he still could remember very well.
“Horatio!” He exclaimed. “Last year we had that case, the murder of Jenny Price…”
Horatio’s look went wide..
“Bradford Jr was one of the main suspects.” Ryan breathed.

“Wake up, princess.”
Calleigh was awoken by the unpleasant sound of that voice and as she opened her eyes she found a pair of dark eyes staring at her, only a few centimetres away from her face. The light was golden and she knew it must have been about eight o’clock in the evening.
“I have something for you.” He whispered in a caring tone, kneeling next to her.
He moved, so that she could see a tray on the floor, on which lay a plate of pasta with tomato sauce, a bottle of champagne with two glasses and a burning candle.
Calleigh stared at the evil grin of the man, wondering what was going on in his mind. He was acting very weird and yet he seemed to know very well what he was doing.
“I’m not going to eat that.” She stated.
The young man’s expression became hurt.
“This food comes from one of the best restaurants of Miami,” he said, and showed her a bill of Novecento. “I promise this is good. Look,” he took the fork and collected some pasta, then ate it, keeping his eyes on her. “I’m alive.”
Calleigh felt her hunger growing. It had been more then ten hours since her last meal and whatever she was going to do, she needed food, but still she knew she couldn’t eat that.
The man took another forkful of pasta to her mouth.
“Say ‘I love you’.” He bid her, opening his mouth wide while saying ‘I’.
“Tell me what you want from me.” She said, ignoring him.
“I want nothing from you, princess.” He answered ambiguously. “I want you.”
“Why?” she insisted angrily. “Why me? What did I do to you?”
“Shush,” he whispered, still holding the fork in front of her face. “Eat this before it gets cold. It tastes very good.”
“I said I’m not go-“
“Yes, you are!” he yelled, pointing a pocket knife at her throat, then his voice became gentle again. “Don’t make me hurt you, princess. You’re far too beautiful to be spoiled by a nasty cut on your pretty neck.”
Calleigh swallowed. She had no choice now.
“Say ‘I love you’.” He repeated, pushing the blade in her flesh.
“I- I love you.” Calleigh hesitated.
“Say it again.” He asked her, his grin growing wider.
Calleigh felt the tears collect in her eyes, as the image of Ryan holding her in his arms appeared in her mind. She had never told him that and it was terrible to be forced to tell such an important thing to a stranger.
“I love you.” She said again, now unable to keep the tears.
The man fed her and she swallowed almost without chewing. She was making a big effort trying not to sob.
“Don’t cry, princess, there’s no reason to cry. I’m taking care of you, you see?”
He caressed her face and offered her another forkful.
“I- I can’t eat that.” She said, feeling her stomach hurt. A drop of cold sweat crawled down her forehead.
“Of course you can.” He said, thrusting the fork into her mouth.
Calleigh felt horrible. The sweetish smell in the air was making her sick and the taste of the pasta in her mouth was making her feel even worse.
“Please, stop.” She pleaded, turning away.
The man looked at her for a while, then tossed the fork on the tray and stood up.
“Fine.” he said calmly. “As you wish, my lady.”
Calleigh watched him leave and heard the familiar noise of the lock closing behind the door. When she was sure he had left, she tried to free her hands from the cuffs. She struggled harder and harder, until she felt her wrists ache. She was sure her skin was cut, but she didn’t care about the pain. She had to manage to slip at least one of her hands out of the cuffs, then she could use one of her hairpins to fix the other one.
After several minutes, at last her left hand was free. When she looked at it, Calleigh found it covered with blood, but she didn’t have time to think about the wounds.
She was about to pick one of the hairpins from her hair, when she suddenly felt a retch in her throat, and before she could realize it, the food she had eaten just a few minutes earlier was thrown up on the floor.
She coughed a couple of times, feeling an unpleasant acid taste in her mouth.
“Dammit.” She cursed, cleaning her lips with the sleeve of her shirt.
She knew her body was reacting to the psychological stress, but she needed to stay calm if she wanted to get out of there. She didn’t know how she would make it yet, but first of all she needed to get rid of those cuffs. Without wasting time, she took a hairpin and started working on the latch.
She didn’t know how much time had exactly passed, but when even her right hand was free, the sun had already set. The room was dark, but the candle on the tray was still burning, it’s light reflected on the glass of the bottle of champagne.
She massaged her aching hand for a moment, then she looked at the bottle again: maybe she was locked inside an empty room, but her kidnapper had made a mistake by leaving that stuff in there. A big mistake, indeed.

TBC...

I liked the chapter too. :)
I hope that Calleigh is able to flee and that ryan finds her.

Evil arent we? I need more! (im kind of bossy so better watch out ;) )
Go Calleigh! Kick some evil man butt! Plz post A.S.A.P.

Back