Caruso and self-parody

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by chardman, May 11, 2010.

1. chardman

chardman Civilian

Many of my friends dislike David Caruso. They think that he, and all of his characters are pretty uptight. But I've noticed that he, especially as Horatio, often pokes subtle fun at himself. There's an almost Shatner-like sense of good natured self-parody.

The best example I can remember dealt with the way Hotatio often accentuates a point by either putting on or removing his sunglasses.

It was during the teaser. Horatio was walking down a stretch of tarmac. It may have been a road, but I seem to think it was a small rural airstrip, with water in the background. IIRC, he's talking to someone on his cellphone. As he walks and talks, he uses his free hand to whip off the shades to emphasize a point,e then tucks them into his jacket pocket to emphasize another. He then swaps which hand he was using to hold the phone. With a new free hand, he accentuates the next few statement by reaching into his other jacket pocket, fishing out an entirely new pair of shades which are utterly identical to the first pair, which he then flicks open to emphasize a point, and dons to emphasize yet another.

It was so subtle that at first I almost couldn't believe I'd actually seen it. But then the reality of it sunk in, and I had to laugh.

I'm hoping that others spotted this too, and can tell me which episode it occured in, as I'd love to get a copy of this ep, on general principle, andto prove to myself I'm not crazy, and more importantly, to be able to show it to friends who claim Caruso is too humorless and still.

Likewise, if anyone else has another example of Caruso endulging in similar self-parody, I'd really love to hear about it.