Carmine Giovinazzo

CSI Files

Captain
<font color=yellow>Carmine Giovinazzo</font> plays abrasive young criminalist Danny Messer on the newest CSI spinoff, CSI: New York, a character the 31-year-old actor can relate to. Both are native New Yorkers and share a curiosity about the forensic science the show delves into on a weekly basis. Giovinazzo has done both film and television work, with roles in movies such as Black Hawk Down In Enemy Hands and For the Love of the Game and guest roles on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Providence and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. His starring role in the comedy series Shasta McNasty as a slacker musician was a far cry from the role he would eventually take in CSI: NY. September saw the launch of the actor’s official website, CarmineGiovinazzo.com, which features exclusive photos and the actor’s own artwork. Giovinazzo took a few minutes out of his busy shooting schedule to talk to CSI Files about how he's adjusting to life on the set of a hit television show.

CSI Files: Congratulations on the success of CSI: New York! Did you predict that it would do as well as it has?

Carmine Giovinazzo: No, I didn't have any predictions. I was just kind of happy to have a place of employment. It was more people around me were reaffirming that this was a really solid project to be involved in. So I didn't really think about that much; I was just more worried about what I gotta do with it.

CSI Files: Were you familiar with the CSI shows and how popular they are before taking the role?

Giovinazzo: Not really. Somewhat. I have a friend or two who were really into it and I had done an episode of the Vegas show ("Revenge Is Best Served Cold"), so I kind of knew what it was from working on it. That was a good time and a good experience. But that was the extent of it.

CSI Files: What drew you to the role of Danny Messer initially?

Giovinazzo: When the character came through, it was first and foremost being a native New Yorker. You'd be surprised how rarely those parts come along for me. When that came through, it was very exciting to see it. I couldn't wait to meet for it after I saw the character description. You're rarely in a position to pick and choose [roles]. I was up for a couple things around that time, so I was just looking for a job and this one was the most appropriate.

CSI Files: Do you find the forensics in the show interesting?

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full interviews, please click here.<center></center>

If ever, you manage to snag an interview with David Caruso, please ask him how he can kick so much ass.

--iMat

An interesting interview, though I feel bad that I'm having problems remembering any of the characters other than Mac and Stella. :/

He's the good looking one with the glasses and the real New York accent. Don't feel bad it takes time for characters to develop when they are working with talents like Gary and Melina. Like unfolding the chapters of a good book.

Posted by PsychoPere:
An interesting interview, though I feel bad that I'm having problems remembering any of the characters other than Mac and Stella. :/
That's what I thought too! So it's not just me. It sounded like this guy is a little full of himself, and I'm not sure why. I have no idea who his character is. Must not be all that memorable.

^Well, if they'd stop preempting the damn show!!! :mad: , we'd have more of an idea. Grrr...two weeks of preemptions, and now I have a bad feeling it might get preempted AGAIN because of the game tonight. :rolleyes:

I hate sports preemptions. :mad: Yeah, I understand the reasoning behind it, but it seems bad to preempt a new show two or three weeks in a row, even if it is a CSI show.

Back