Canada Says 'No' To New York

CSI Files

Captain
The debate over the presence of CSI: New York on Canada's History Television has come to an end.

In April, we shared the news that the History Television was in hot water for airing New York multiple times per week. The Canadian Radio-Television and Communications Counsel (CRTC) requested that the network (which is owned by Alliance Atlantis Communications Corp., the company that co-produces the CSI shows) remove the show from its schedule because it did not belong on the network.

The initial complaint was made by <font color=yellow>Maureen Parker</font>, the executive director of the Writers Guild of Canada. The station argued that the show gave "viewers a critically acclaimed look at forensic policing in post-9/11 New York City." In the end, the CTRC decided to rule against the History Television.

"t didn't seem to fit their conditions of licence, which provide for historical programming or programs with overtones of important current events," Parker told the Canadian Press. "Nor, of course, did it come close to providing any sort of Canadian perspective on world history." The History Television has until January to remove CSI: NY from its schedule.

The original article is from AHN Media.<center></center>

I'm not surprised that they ruled against having it on a History Channel. Actually, I would have been a bit saddened if someone had ruled to let it stay. It's not a history program and as noted, no Canadian perspective at all.

as much as i hate the crtc on other channels and on the radio, this time they do have a point. as much as its a good show there really is no reason for it to be on the history channel 83 times a day. but this should just go to show them there arent enough canadian shows to fill their required content rules :lol: i swear, a lot of the shows were only on because they had to be to fill the canadian content rules :lol:

I think the original article said that they played NY something like 18 times a week--that's just insane! :lol: They must really be trying to fill slots if they can play anything that many times in a week. :p

^^ we had a show called 'train 48' about people in toronto taking the subway home and talking to each other. that was all they did. it ran for 3 seasons :rolleyes: i dont think anyone ever watched it but global needed their canadian content :lol:

^^ Oh my God I hate Canadian shows. :lol:

I always thought it was rather odd to put a CSI show on a channel about Canadian History so this seems like the right choice. :p Although I didn't mind seeing CSI:NY 18 times a day. :lol:

allmaple said:
^^ we had a show called 'train 48' about people in toronto taking the subway home and talking to each other. that was all they did. it ran for 3 seasons :rolleyes: i dont think anyone ever watched it but global needed their canadian content :lol:

Oh my god! That sounds like hell! :p

Train 48... is that what that crap show was called? I'd always come across it when I was channel surfing, and I'd keep on surfing! Yikes.

Canada's had some good shows: for comedies- Corner Gas and Little Mosque on the Prairie are both funny, and also This Hour Has 22 Minutes; for drama, the DaVinci series and Intelligence are good; The Hour with George Strombolopoulos and The Mercer Report are both awesome...

Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand... :lol: Yeah, it was nice to be able to catch NY all the time, but I could never figure out why it was on History.

Ugh, I wish they wouldn't be doing this. I watch it on my lunch at work with some other people, and it's quite relaxing. Granted I have the first two seasons on DVD, but I've always looked forward to watching it at noon. They'll probably finish the first season and then change it, though I'm hoping they show the second season as well *crosses fingers*

As much as I am really sorry for those who used to watch it *huggles stuffy*, it makes sense. I mean, CSI is not related to canadian history :rolleyes:

NOO! I loved flicking between New York, Miami and Vegas at 7 :lol: The History channel shows so many crime shows now anyway, what difference does it make...

As much as I am really sorry for those who used to watch it *huggles stuffy*, it makes sense. I mean, CSI is not related to canadian history

Awww thanks Dani *huggles back*. I understand why they're doing it, but we're so close to season two! Lots of DL goodness there....I was hoping the people I watch it with would be able to see that ;) ah well. They said they like it, which was my plan :D *evil grin*

Back