can i ask something

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by christiane_13, Feb 23, 2008.

1. christiane_13

christiane_13 Civilian

hi! i know this is not the right place to post this question! But i really need to find an answer to this one! Is there someone in the history who doesn't have fingerprints? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. allmaple

allmaple Judge

this is probably better suited for the forensic forum, ill send it over there for you ;)

3. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

we have genes that determine our fingerprints...i don't know if someone could have a genetic defect that would change it. It is a continuous trait with multiple alleles (i am pretty sure), so i don't know how likely that would be. That is a good question...

well, i just did a little google work, and found a disorder called dermatopathia pigmentosa reticularis, which is an extremely rare genetic disorder, and one of the symptoms is no fingerprints.

4. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

Genes? The way I understood it, the ridges in the skin that form fingerprints is formed by embryonic fluid. *shrugs* Not 100% sure, can anyone clarify?

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

genetics determines the general pattern of ones fingerprints, but the microenvironment in the uterus determines the fine details. thats why identical twins will have similar but not identical finger prints ;)

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Haha, I was just coming in to say that... you beat me to it!

I'm really sad, I love fingerprints... they're cool!

7. CSI_Tipping

CSI_Tipping Victim

everyone has a unique fingerprint. its like DNA as it can be compared, collected and used to slam suspects. However, DNA sometimes can have more than one person, for example father and son but fingerprints are different for everyone.

8. Grissom_Nick

Grissom_Nick Dead on Arrival

fingerprint have only been know to be an identity aid for summit like 300 years, but i dont recall someone not having fingerprints, you can alter them by cutting skin and replacing in diffrent places, but that would be extreamly painfull!!!

9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

im confused by what you mean here. a father and son don't have the same dna, the son has 50% of the fathers dna and 50% of the mothers. only identical twins have the same dna.

10. Grissom_Nick

Grissom_Nick Dead on Arrival

yes i know that but a male dna profile is XY and femail is XX but fingerprint can corrispons noto two fingerprint totaly as you know no two fingerprints match but some patterns are the same, it has been know that some silly people ghave cut parts of there own fingersand moved them about, really stupid idea to be honest and the patten hanges to an irregular pattern