Broken Frame

dl_shipper34

CSI Level One
A/N: Some of you may have seen this on my FF page. This is an idea I've had for a while now and I've finally completed it. I'll say it here since it's the prologue and first chapter. MAJOR CHARACTER DEATH NEAR THE ENDING. This story includes all the NY characters but leans towards D/L. Enjoy and I'll post more tomorrow. Below is the synopsis:

An evil shadow returns from the past to haunt the CSI's. The team is determined to hunt them down...at any cost.

PROLOGUE
A full moon hung over the eerie land, and somewhere nearby an owl hooted mournfully. Breaking through the clouds, a ray shone down into one cell and pooled onto the cold floor, sectioned by the four metal bars that served as a window.

He sat calmly on his bed, patiently waiting for morning to arrive. In just a few hours he would walk out of this god-forsaken place a free man. Then he would get his revenge.

Revenge. The word sucked at him like a leech, burying into his veins and taking over his brain. It was clear his insanity had snapped at some point during his captivity. His eye twitched manically, fingers tapping gently on the tiny metal sink, and his breath came out in rasps. The other prisoners stayed well clear of him, knowing how dangerous a temper he held. One minute he could be laughing, the next beating a fellow inmate until he passed out.

A spider crawled out from the corner, seemingly ignoring the man who had barely moved since returning to his cell. A swift flash of metal, and the arachnid was impaled on the tip of the knife. He snickered gleefully as he watched the creature’s life wither away.

“Revenge!”

CHAPTER 1: CONSTANT STRUGGLE
Many a month had passed since the hostage scare, and the entire CSI unit was settled in their modernistic quarters. All equipment and tools, with the most up-to-date technology, lined the tables and desks of the freshly-built lab.

Lindsay drank this in as she shuffled through some forgotten pictures. The young woman’s memory would never let her forget that horrific day. Danny’s battered features were burned into her mind like a red-hot iron. She had worried about him for weeks, and still did, but he grew stronger with each day and eventually returned to work. At first it was painstakingly slow, as he didn’t want to injure himself more, but he always managed to get the job done.

She would watch him through the window of her office, which they had shared for some time now. She loved how his eyes focused so intently on his work, either piecing together evidence or typing coordinates into the system. They had officially announced their relationship a few days after the lab re-opened. Nobody questioned their decision, although they sensed that their closest co-workers had a bet going on. Mac seemed cheery the day they had both revealed what everyone knew had emerged the first day the two met, though he warned them to not let it interfere with their work.

---

It was a constant struggle for Danny to wake up every morning and go to work. However, Lindsay made it easier by being there. She had moved into his apartment some time ago, both happy to be starting on a new path in their lives. Not a second went by that he didn't regret taking her shift that day. He was glad he had taken the blows, for he knew all too well what could have happened if the gang had gotten their filthy hands on Lindsay.

The pain wasn't the only thing on his mind. He had heard nothing of Louie since his older sibling was admitted to the hospital. Danny could still see the light fading from his brother's eyes, body hooked up to several machines as the doctors wheeled him off. He had struggled to get near, but they held him back. Danny was ecstatic. Spittle flew from his mouth as he wrestled in their grip, blood rising in his eyes at the thought of his own brother possibly dying. Weeks turned into months, but for some unknown reason Danny never found the courage to visit Louie. He was almost scared to show his face.

---

He was out. Finally, after so long of waiting, he was free. The two years he had spent in prison vaporized into the night air. It was his first full day away from the pitiful cell he had once called home. All thoughts of sleep were banished from his crazed mind as one word stole upon his breath, causing him to shiver with anticipation.

"Revenge!"

Wow...I will refrain from saying too much now but I had to go read the whole thing and though it was sad, I enjoyed it. I will return later to read more of your stuff.

CHAPTER 2: SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT
“What do we have?”

Danny lifted the police tape to allow Lindsay by. She gave him a soft smile before turning her attention to the body lying face-down in the Central Park soil.

Stella gave her a nod. “Female, 20 years old. Identified as Rebecca Flint from Staten Island.”

“Who found her?” Danny inquired.

Stella pointed to where an older man was being questioned by police. “He was jogging through here and noticed her hand poking out from a bush.”

Lindsay bent down to examine the body. “Her arms and legs are covered in bruises. Rape maybe?”

Danny sniffed apprehensively. “Probably. She’s young and pretty enough. But that’s not our department, Montana. We’ll let Sid do that work.”

---

“Rape kit came back positive. She was beaten, raped and most likely dumped in the park.”

Lindsay could not hold back a shudder as Sid explained the victim’s last moments of life. Danny patted her back gently, which seemed to calm her.

The coroner looked from one to the other, grey eyes gleaming in the light. “I did find something strange though. Take a look at this.”

He rolled the body towards him and motioned for the two CSI’s to focus on her back. Etched cruelly into her skin, obviously fresh, was the letter T.

Danny scratched his head in confusion. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“I was hoping you’d tell me.”

Lindsay glanced at the monitor that held the image. “We’ll look closer at the evidence. Maybe that will give us something to work with.”

She wandered off to start the task, leaving Danny with Sid. The older man placed the body back down, a slight worry playing on his voice.

“Is she okay?”

“Yeah, sometimes cases like these get to her, y’know? I’ll check on her later. Thanks Sid.”

---

It has become increasingly cloudy as the day wore on, but Lindsay and Stella continued to work at the scene, knowing it could rain at any moment. The former found some blood on nearby leaves, while the latter focused on the area where the victim was found. They worked in silence for a while before Stella finally spoke.

“Are you feeling okay, kiddo?”

Lindsay flashed a smile at the nickname Stella had given her. “I’m fine. Why do you ask?”

“Well, Danny said that you seemed a little uneasy while in the autopsy room.”

“This girl was young, Stel. She had her whole life ahead of her.”

“I know,” the slightly older woman said reassuringly. “But the least we can do is find her killer. Just remain focus on the job, Lindsay. That’s all we’re asking for.”

---

For some unknown reason Mac felt uneasy about the case. He had been made aware of the strange marking on the victim’s back, and instinct was telling him to be wary. He had seen unusual scratches or smears before, but nothing like this.

“Mac, as soon as we find out what it is, we’ll let you know. Until that time, let Lindsay, Stella and I work this case.”

The older man paced his office nervously. “Something isn’t right here, Danny. I can feel it. This may be tougher than we think.”

Back