BRITAIN'S drinking problem!

Yeah, I think for a lot of people, university is the time when they get out on their own and learn about life. Often, part of that involves drinking and learning their limits. :lol: I can honestly say that, whilst I rarely drink now, I certainly had a couple of nights out at university which were memorable for all the wrong reasons. :rolleyes:

Ducky, back when I was at university I remember it being discussed over here about a ban on pubs and clubs advertising cheap alcohol, or two for one type offers on it. I think that certain advertisements are restricted now, but I'm not sure what. I like the law about alcohol costing the same no matter what quantity is purchased, that seems sensible to me.

adorelo, yes over here drinking is shown on all TV shows too, and I guess it could be seen as advertising. I think that it is how it is shown that is important. When it's shown in a social setting, with a meal etc. and not over indulgence then it's usually OK. But when it is shown as people getting drunk, or underage drinking then it is usually shown with a negative side. Someone gets injured or collapses, someone gets arrested, or does something stupid and eventually gets found out etc... It isn't really glamorised in a way that suggests drinking to excess is fun or acceptable. And obviously it isn't realistic, but realistic youth and excessive drinking would seem much more like advertising and condoning the behaviour.

Actually, an interesting thing that I read recently about a pub chain in the UK that caused a bit of a furore... Wetherspoons (pub chain) decided to limit the amount of alcohol that people who were in their premises with children could order. Basically, if you are there with a child you can only have two alcoholic drinks. They say that they are happy for parents to come in for a meal with their children, but that they don't have facilities for children so it isn't appropriate for people to stay in the pub for long periods of time drinking alcohol.

OFFICIAL::BID TO CHANGE BRITISH DRINKING HABITS FAILS

London...Changing Britains drinking laws by letting pubs stay open later has failed to curb binge drinking, government officials acknowledged Tuesday. By allowing some pubs, restaurants and bars to stay open beyond the traditional closing time of 11 pm, ministers had hoped to end the nightly scramble to dwon as many drinks as possible before 'last call'. The gov. had hoped to overhaul Britain's dangerous relationship with alcohol, curb violence and foster a more relaxed approach to drinking more common in European countries such as France & Spain. But Culture Secretary Andy Burnham said Tues. a review shows the 2005 changes instead let to some increses in alcohol-fueled violence in major towns and cities. "Alcohol-related violence has increased in the early hours of the morning and some communities have seen a rise in disorder". Burnham said in a written statement to lawmakers. Though Burnham said there are no plans to scrap the laws, he has ordered new studies of drinking patterns, after midnight and confirmed he may propose changes to the policy. In a report last month, the British Medical Association said Britain is among the hardest-drinking countries in Europe. The country's alcohol-related death rate nearly doubled between 1991 & and 2005, from 6.9 to 12.9 per 100,000 people. Though there has been a slight fall in the nation's over-all alcohol consumption since 2005, researchers have not found any significant shift in Britain's drinking culture, a report for Burnham's culture ministry said. 'Lcensing regimes may be one factor in effecting change to the country's drinking culture..and it's impact on crime..but they do not appear to be the critical one", according to the report. Britain's young, saying intoxicated teens and 20-somethings now drink heavily longer, rather than sipping wine or French coffee in cafes. "It was simply unrealistic to expect to transplant one drinking culture, which has grown up according to specific tastes or climate, to another country" said Frank Sooden, a researcher at the Alcohol Concern charity. Burnham said there had been an overall 4 % rise in crimes reported between 3am and 6am, likely to be a result of drink-fueled offenses. Some hospitals also reported a rise in alcohol-related admissions, he said. "The overall reduction in alcohol-related disorder we wanted to see across the country has not materialized consistently in all areas" Burnham said!

David Stringer..The Associated Press

Well to be honest I never thought it would work! I think especially in the larger cities where young people go out on various nights they weren't going to slow down their drinking because they have longer. They're going to drink more and more until they end up in hospital!

Well lets put some of these into pespective.

I am English, I dont have a drinking problem never have and never will.

Not everyone in Britain is a drunk shaking from lack of their favourite toxin.

To be honest, there IS an exemption to the drinking laws- i believe that some pubs in residential areas do close at the normal times.

Personally I've never been in a pub that stays open 24 hours a day. Most close at midnight or 3 am. Clubs have to by law i think. Well the last time I went to a club it closed its doors and that was only a few months ago now.

Some people do have issues with booze- im not disputing that. Just not everyone lol.

:klingon:

Back