BRITAIN'S drinking problem!

Desertwind

Head of the Day Shift
Lawmakers see glass too full in Britain's drinking problem

LONDON--Super sized servings of savignon blanc, giant goblets of grenache..wine glasses in Britain's bars are larger than ever and deepening the country's problematic relationship with alcohol, lawmakers and health officials warn. Hugh measures of wine and a glut of cheap alcohol on sale at supermarkets are fueling a worrying rise in problem drinking among adults, particulary women, authorities say. Britain has won notoriety for reckless drinking among the young. Drunken, brawling teens and 20-somethings have became a familiar sight in town centers. Relaxed laws mean pubs whose opening times used to be strickly regulated, can now serve drinkers round the clock. The minimum drinking age at pubs is 18, but lawmakers say the crisis of excessive drinking is no longer confined to yhe youth. They warn that a steady rise in alcohol among older adults, both in bars and at home, could have a calmitious impact on the nation's health. Some legislators are putting it down to the size of the glass. "Almost by stealth, we have ended up drinking much more than we used to in the past..everyone is suscepitible to it", said lawmaker Norman Lamb. Lamb, the oppositio Liberal Democrat party spokesman on health, claims tha almost all pubs have ditched the once standard sized glass, which held 4.2 fluid ounces. Instead they offer one twice as big. "It's leaving many customers drinking more than they really want to", said Lamb's fellow lawmaker Greg Muholland, who has called for a law requring all venues to reinstate the smaller glass. Government research has found that up to a quarter of adults also are consuming dangerous amounts of alcohol at home. Ministers said last year, that middle-aged, middle-class professionals were the worst offenders!
drinks.gif

David Stringer..The Associated Press

And it is really as bad as that. I know, because I'm kind of part of it. You go out on a Friday planning a quiet night out, and you just somehow end up off your face stumbling out of a club at 4 the next morning. And i've been in a pub/restaurant for brunch at like 11 o clock once and people were already drunk. It's terrible.

Note to self: plan trip to Britain sometime within the year. See the problem firsthand.

Reminds me of the old saying: "I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, no problem!"

Although, glut of cheap alcohol in supermarkets? Come to New Jersey, where you cannot buy alcohol in supermarkets and convenience stores.

Exit 8A said:
Come to New Jersey, where you cannot buy alcohol in supermarkets and convenience stores.

Really??? :eek: :eek:

Here in MA you can get some alcohol in gas stations, some grocery stores and some convenience stores.

At least at gas station it's a very limited selection and to be honest I've only seen those a bit further west in the state and in Manchester NH.

Chep alcohol? haha well in our supermarkets they sell bottles of vodka for 4.50 (thats about $2.50) they're not small bottle either... It's just encouraging people. And although our law says you can't buy alcohol if you're under 18 there's not law to stop them drinking it after it's purchased. Silly that.

I think you just have to look at the cities and towns in England where there is a pub on every corner and each pub having there own brew. It's been many years since I've been to England so things may have changed. Some of the TV shows I watched over the years seem to have there characters always meeting up in the pub. Maybe they need to stop glorifying drinking on TV so people will stop.

Here in Ontario you have to go to a government run store for your beer and another one for your liquor and alcohol. You can get specialty beers and beers from other countries at the liquor store but they usually only have them in small cases, a 6 pack rather than the usually 24. I think that drinking is a problem here but it doesn't appear to be as much a problem as England has. We hear everyone weekend of reports of someone being stabbed or shot in 'The Entertainment District' and I do wonder how much drinking has played a factor in this problem.

:lol: Britain doesn't have a drinking problem, it's people that do. The view of the British drinking culture that is reported, both at home and abroad, is of drunken street brawls, teenagers throwing up and disrespectful and rude behaviour. Of course it does happen, but the article quoted is so general and broad in it's reporting that it makes little sense in my opinion. I would argue that the majority of bars and pubs still serve smaller glasses of wine, and if you order wine you are usually asked 'small or large', but the places that serve large by default should be stopped, likewise for anywhere that serves spirits in double measures. There is no need for it, or they should at least be more open about it. But really, alcohol should not be served to people who are openly drunk, so the bars need to be better managed and staff better trained.

All of that said, large glasses of wine are not responsible for much of the behaviour, yes I'm generalising but so is the article, I'm pretty sure that the majority of appalling behaviour seen is not by people that primarily drink wine. And a pint of beer is still a pint of beer, so that hasn't changed.

Drunken, brawling teens and 20-somethings have became a familiar sight in town centers.

Ministers said last year, that middle-aged, middle-class professionals were the worst offenders!
Er, which is it? The drunken brawling teens, or the middle aged professionals? Or just everyone? :rolleyes:

CalleighD said:
well in our supermarkets they sell bottles of vodka for 4.50 (thats about $2.50) they're not small bottle either... It's just encouraging people.
Cheap alcohol is available in many countries, it's not unique to the UK. But as for encouraging people, I believe that we live in enough of a nanny state as it is, if anything there is over regulation on a lot of issues in the UK, people should be able to decide these things for themselves. Supposedly alcohol abuse is still rising despite the tax increases announced in the budget every year. So more people are buying it year on year even though the price is technically going up? I believe that things like cigarettes and alcohol will be bought no matter what they cost to the consumer.

And although our law says you can't buy alcohol if you're under 18 there's not law to stop them drinking it after it's purchased. Silly that.
Ah, the latest reports on alcohol abuse in the UK. I was surprised by that, although obviously it has been noticed to be a problem and they are currently looking at how best to tackle this. Laws like that are ridiculous, although I guess it could be argued that there are other laws on public behaviour that would apply in such cases, so that youths couldn't technically drink in public without consequences.

I read that Gordon Brown may be reviewing the licensing hours at some point. But overall I don't believe that 24 hour drinking is really an issue, because it doesn't really work like that. Drunk people in the morning? Yes, but it's hardly the norm. And let's be honest, most pubs and bars definitely do not have 24 hour licenses. In rural areas extended licensing is actually only keeping up with what pubs were doing anyway. It's just that the fun of the country pub lock-in is now a thing of the past! :lol:

eta: Jacquie, I don't really think that TV shows do glorify alcohol use. If they do they may be breaking broadcasting rules and attract complaints. They usually show it as simply a social occassion where alcohol is consumed in moderation. If they show excessive drinking then there is inevitably negative consequences associated with it. However, they do seem to show people in the pub every night of the week, and I think it is an old fashioned view which doesn't necessarily reflect today's society.

I have to say I probably come somewhere in that. I'm a student, i don't drink like all the time but when i do drink i enjoy myself... tendency to get a tad drunk.

Its strange my mate is british and is out in the US for a year on a student programme to go to a uni in Indiana and she said alcohol is actually cheaper out there but hardly as many people actually drink. She was used to drinking and she said it was surprising, but it meant when she came back at xmas she was a lightweight because she wasn't used to how we do it here.

I think there is a binge drinking issue but its not related to the country its the people. Pubs are part of english culture its known. And yes students are probably the worst of the lot i mean i know friends who would get drunk most nights just because they wanted to. its not as bad as people make out i dont think i mean you have to go to areas to see it that bad and you look its mainly the university cities.

If i'm honest i had my first drink at 14 probably which was a barcardi breezer to celebrate the millenium and i never really liked the stuff. Tho at 16 i could drink vodka. It is the age issue i think because so many younger people are pulling it off i mean i know 16 yr olds going to clubs and getting drunk.

UK always like to be different...

Ah, Britain! Look at your people for a while like that and you'll get laws like us!

A year ago, we got a law that alcohol cannot be sold before 9am. We have beer and cider and mild wine in stores where you can by food and in certain kiosks and so on... and because some opened at 7am ... this should prevet people continue drinking the next day :p

This year, they planned to put warningstickers to alcohol bottles, just like tobacco has but erm... I guess EU said no to that - it really pissed off the big wine countries like France, but then they don't know the problem we have here.

I guess here it was reported that teenagers drink less... but guess what was the biggest cause of death in this country...was it last year? Yes, alcohol. It finally beat cod that had lead for long: cardiovascular diseases.

But to Britain... have you noticed that in British shows they spend lots of time in the pub? :lol: But it's a different thing to grab a beer than be wasted everytime :p

I'd have lots to say about this, but me is tired.

I have to say I probably come somewhere in that. I'm a student, i don't drink like all the time but when i do drink i enjoy myself... tendency to get a tad drunk.

:lol: University in Canada is pretty similar...lots and lots of drinking. And yeah, cheap alcohol is everywhere...we have it as well. I buy this cheap champagne, for like $15 and it can get two people pretty drunk. Classy.

University life in the UK is about parties/ clubbing and ok the little part of actual studying but we have shots for £1 and student nights and drink on special offer, its far to tempting sometimes to say no.

They are thinking of starting new law but i can't for the life of me remember it.

Cheap alcohol is so easy to get hold of and most shops don't always ID tho i'm 21 and still get occasionaly ID'd.

I can't believe that they didn't mention or someone did, on the drinking here in Las Vegas, it flows like a fast river.. and it's free, if your gambling, I was stunned when I first moved here, noting that one can walk around with a drink anywhere, you can buy it at a 7/11 and stand and drink outside, but not get in a car, or big time bust, and there's cops everywhere monitering that.. Super Bowl Sunday was crazy, boos galore :eek: One thing they've got a few great "don't drink and drive" services, you call, they pick you up and another person drives your car home.. I drink club soda, with lime mostly, the tourists are the worse offenders.. so drinking here is plenty, but the circumstances are harsh, as it should be!

It's not only Britain that has been suffering from this. In the Netherlands, drinking is a big problem too. Every year, there are many kids getting themselves in a coma by drinking too much. The legal age here is 16, which is too early, I think. I'm 16 too, and well, I don't want to say I'm too good or anything, but I think I can handle alcohol with responsability. There are just too many kids who can't.

A colleague of mine I went out with last night (he's 20/21, not sure), is aaaaaalways drunk. Alcohol isn't good for him. I think they should make alcohol more expensive, so it'll be less easy for kids to buy it. Also, the inspection system should be renewed. I was able to buy alcohol when I was 14, let's say, without any problems. It's sick.

Here you can buy alcohol at supermarkets, cafés, cinema's, etc. Just any normal shop.

Elsie said:
:lol: Britain doesn't have a drinking problem, it's people that do.

Precisely! It's not right to say the entire country has a 'problem' when certain individuals drink 'too much'. What happened to not making generalized comments? :rolleyes:

And, out of interest, what makes a country have a problem? Alcoholism is defined as a "preoccupation with or compulsion toward the consumption of alcohol and/or an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption". But that refers to individuals. At what point does the entire country have a problem? There are many who drink, but wouldn't necessarily be defined as having a 'drinking problem'. Does this then mean that are not a contributer?

And, like Elsie said, we can't restrict peoples drinking without making the 'nanny culture' even more pronounced. I do disagree with you though on one thing, and that's the media's role in the matter.

I'll admit, I don't know much about British TV, so I can't comment on that. But, I think, soap opera's over here do glorify drinking. It's definitely not as bad as it used to be but if people are continually bombarded with images of people drinking, it has to have an effect. It is kind of a form of advertising in a way.

Just my two cents. :D

Dawni said:
University life in the UK is about parties/ clubbing and ok the little part of actual studying but we have shots for £1 and student nights and drink on special offer, its far to tempting sometimes to say no.

I think it's the same way in every country :p

Another law, what has annoyed most of people, we got now is that beers have to cost the same, no matter how much you buy. I mean... 6-pack has probably cost 6.90 and then 12-pack around 10€. Now those cost about 13€.

Also, when bars had these beer 1€ nights, if I remember right, they still can have those, but they cannot advertise those.

Back