Book Agents!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ericisacutie, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ericisacutie

ericisacutie Lab Technician

Okay, so here's the deal. I finished my first book that is 370 pages long a few months ago, I'm now looking for literary agents so I can try and get it published, if anyone knows of people or sites that might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks! :)

2. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

WOW, congrats. What is your book about?

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

That was going to be my question :D

4. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I may not be the biggest help but you could go and check your local library. They usually have books that specifically have info on literary agents like there contact info and the type of stuff they are interested in looking at. I hope this helps a little though :)

5. ericisacutie

It does, I've actually been through several books and contacted several agents. No one has liked it yet. But 'm going to submit some more this week.

As for what it is about, it's based in the south and it's about a teenage girl who has cancer and is very close to her father. She wants to be a country singer too! She helps solve several problems with her friends and family, and she has ten other siblings!!!! :lol:

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I found this site: Click Me for you.

You have to sign up, so I don't know what it's like once you get in there, but it may be helpful to you.

Let me know honey and good luck.

7. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

You might try the following web site: http://www.writers.net/agents.html

Oh, and if you haven't done this before, be sure to (first) send out a not-more-than-2-pages query letter (just like you would do if you were contacting the publisher directly ... which you shouldn't!) that concisely describes your plot, story arc and main characters, and asks if they'd like to see the entire manuscript. And when an agent does ask to see your manuscript, be sure to submit it in the more-or-less standard format: double-spaced, courier 12 type or equivalent, approx 1-inch margins all around, with your name, story title and page number in the header.

Hope you find a good agent for your work!!

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I just noticed this thread and was going to suggest asking Mr. Goddard (see above post) and Keith R.A. DeCandido (who goes by the user name of KRAD). Being published writers, I figured they could provide some tips. They have both posted in the CSI book thread over in the Merchandise forum.

9. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Be happy to offer what little I think I know about the publishing business.

First, a few things that most of you who have been working to publish a story/novel/book probably already know: 1) you really do need a literary agent to represent your work because the publishers have long since been overwhelmed by the volume of unsolicited manuscripts that arrive in the mail every working day; 2) there are fewer publishers (because of consolidation) and fewer readers because (my opinion) of competition from TV, DVDs, blogs and the internet, and thus fewer paid-publishing opportunities for new writers; 3) publishers are increasingly less likely to spend limited advertising funds on new authors; 4) you need to have a first manuscript completely --- and well --- written before contacting literary agencies to look for an agent; 5) you should expect --- and not be discouraged by --- rejections from literary agents (until you convince them otherwise, you simply represent a potential drain on their time and profit-margins); 6) you shouldn't have to pay a good literary agent to look at your work (that's their job!); 7) be prepared to describe your plans for future manuscripts (they don't want to waste their time on "one-shot wonders"; and finally: don't ever give up (the only guarantee in publishing being that if you give up, you don't ever publish)!

On the bright side: 1) older authors (myself more-or-less included) are continually wandering off, dying, or getting tired of meeting deadlines ... so there are always going to be opportunities for new authors as long as publishing exists; so 2) one of those new authors might as well be you.

Having said all of that, I suppose I should add that while I've been lucky to have one very good literary agent over my entire writing career, I still argue with her (and my publishers) over what I'm going to write and when it's going to be completed ... and I still have to do the vast majority of my own marketing and advertising. And I would never give up my day job to write full time (that's a great way to either starve or be done in by your spouse)!

Okay, enough of my ramblings. I'll be happy to respond to any other writing/agent related questions.

Oh, and "Ken" will do fine. "Mr. Goddard" sounds like one of those old-fart authors I used to be amused by at writing conventions ... the ones who would wander off muttering to themselves. :)

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Sorry. My full time job is a desk clerk at a hotel, and I am used to being more formal. Just a thought... Pocket Books (div of Simon and Garfun... er... Simon and Schuster) has had several annual volumes of Star Trek Strange New Worlds fan fiction leading to small cash awards and writing contracts. Any chance of something similar for the CSIs? Strange new cases?

11. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Not a problem ... formality always has its place (I certainly have to alter my 'casual' demeanor when I enter a federal courtroom!).

Have no idea what Pocket Books has in mind with future CSI publications, but you'd think they'd be open to considering opportunities to either publish marketable books ... or perhaps "publish' in the electronic market?? In any case, the one thing I'm sure of is that any project involving the CSI characters and underlying story arc would have to be approved by CBS.

12. ericisacutie

Thanks for all the tips!!! But I have one more question, when I contacted some of the ones before, a few I put my age on, and a few I didn't...... I was worried about putting my age down because I'm just 15 and I'm afraid they won't think it's any good because I;m young. What do you think, should I put my age or not when contacting them??

And thanks again for all of the help!

13. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Definitely do not tell them your age! It's not relevant to their primary job of selling an author's manuscript.

Note: if you utilize the standard 2-gage query letter [ideally using "professional-author-like" letterhead for the first page ... essentially your name and address printed in some nice manner at the top of the page ... something you can create with a computer] and the standard manuscript format, they should have no idea as to your age, which is appropriate. The literary agencies should be making their initial judgment as to your marketing potential based on the quality of your writing. At some point, of course, they're likely to figure out how old you are; but by then, they should be busy trying to find a buyer for your manuscript!

In essence, tell yourself that you are a 30-35-year-old professional writer looking for a new literary agent, and act accordingly. ;)

And I'm happy to help where I can. It would be great to see new authors emerge from this website!

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I had a question for really anybody but response from an author would be great.

I'm trying to write a novel and I have trouble with figuring out names for characters and locations I have a general idea of the character and their background so how do you come up with names. Are their websites with lists of names or do you base them off names of people you know?

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

These are really great responses. I prefer writing teleplays and screenplays, and I had a "Pilot" I was writing before the Writers Strike (can't really write now though).

However these are great tips for Book Agents, and I hope you find an agent soon!