Best in Me, a DL fic

pizzapie

Pathologist
I decided to try and write a fic to the song from that video we all loved so much. This is my first songfic, so constructive criticism is welcome.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Lyrics by Blue

"Best In Me"

From the moment I met you I just knew you'd be mine
You touched my hand
And I knew that this was gonna be our time

Danny:
I know I made you angry that first day at the zoo, I just couldn’t help it. Something struck me about you, but I’d never been one to fall for a coworker, or for a country girl. When we accidentally bumped into each other in the lab, I felt a surge of electricity that defied explanation, and I knew I had to find some reason to touch you again. I found it when I tried to explain how the corpse could hold the doll’s arm. I felt the same surge of electricity, so I decided to try asking you out. It hurt when you turned down my offer, even though I didn’t want to admit it.

I don't ever wanna lose this feeling
I don't wanna spend a moment apart

When you came to the subway in that dress, I almost lost it. I tried to keep it cool while in front of Mac, but the truth was that you looked nice. I was jealous of whoever the other guy was, because surely you wouldn’t have dressed up that way if there wasn’t one. And even though I don’t want to admit it, I felt like punching the guy you were with.

You really know how to torture me, Montana. When you had me carry you across the flower bed, it took all of my self control not touch you in more intimate places. Seeing you in the morgue with those bugs, I wondered if we might could share another bug dinner. And asking me about phone sex, the entire time I was thinking about what it would be like to try it with you. I’d even gone so far as jokingly to ask you to marry me. But you didn’t know my ghosts, and I was afraid what would happen if you found out.

'Cos you bring out the best in me, like no-one else can do
That's why I'm by your side, and that's why I love you

So then my world crumbled. My ghosts came back to haunt me, I was the suspect in a murder, you found out about my brother, and above all, you found my DNA on that butt. I was glad that you brought it to me first, and I could see your trust in me. I was so ashamed to have you watching when they took my badge away, and I was afraid that you would never want to speak to me again. But you didn’t, working hard to clear me, and even bringing that tape to me. And I knew, that despite everything, it would be okay.

Every day that I'm here with you
I know that it feels right
And I've just got to be near you every day and every night

Lindsay:
I felt something the first time I saw you at the zoo, but everything about you screamed “bad boy,” and I had never gotten along well with those. It didn’t help that you told me to call Mac Sir. Even though I had screamed at you to stop calling me Montana, I missed it when you quit, and was actually thrilled when you started again. I guess I really knew that you were the right one for me after that night at Cozy’s. Believe it or not, I hadn’t actually been out in the city with a guy, even at the opera, and we just clicked so well that night. I was so worried when you hadn’t gotten there that you wouldn’t show up, but I’m surprised that you didn’t notice my relief.

I was thrilled when they moved us into the same office, because it gave me an excuse to be around you even more often. On the roof, it took all my self control not to reach my face up and plant a kiss on your lips, and I probably would have if that damn tech hadn’t been right there.

And you know that we belong together
It just had to be you and me

When you said, “Marry me,” I knew you were just joking. But I couldn’t quit thinking about what it would have felt like if you were saying it for real. However, I didn’t know much about you, much about your past, and you didn’t know about me.

Lindsay:
When I found your DNA on the cigarette butt, I thought surely I had made a mistake. When you took the report, and didn’t protest, I was confused, and I realized there was something in your past that you didn’t like. I had never been one to fall for the bad guy, in fact, the only one I ever dated I broke up with as soon as I learned his past, so my concern for you surprised me. I could barely stand the sight of you having to turn in your badge and gun, knowing it was my results that made it happen. I looked at you through the window, and when you looked at me, I saw shame, worry, and hurt. I was worried for you, I just wanted to be there for you. It was at this point that I realized no matter what had happened in your past, I would still love you.

And you know that we belong together, It just had to be you and me

That's why I'm by your side

Danny:
It broke my heart to see react to Stella’s attack. I could tell you were hurt, but you wouldn’t let me in. Once we went and worked on the case, I thought that maybe you were handling it okay, but when you went off at the suspect, I was shocked. What almost shocked me more was that I hadn’t already gone off on him. Maybe your calm is rubbing off on me? I knew exactly what you were worried about. It hurt when you pulled your arm away, for all I wanted to do was comfort you.

Lindsay:
I had never opened up so much to anyone about my fears until I did to you that night. I hated to admit how much that Montana girl’s case had affected me. I mean, I’d always prided myself on being able to stay emotionally detached from cases, but then I get two cases in just as many weeks that hurt. But you stayed beside me, comforting me after visiting the killer. I had seen this side of you once before, but this time, it wasn’t in the middle of a case. The first time, I thought it was just a one time thing. I’d heard about your history from the lab techs, but after the second time, I knew it wasn’t a fluke, and was sure that you cared for me like I did for you.

Great fic! The song fits so well! Have you seen the video? It's my favorite ever!

Your song is so very romantic and beautiful...

My god, your are really a great writer. My respect ! ;)

I hope, you make more in the future !!

Back