Aliens - Is there anybody out there

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Aug 15, 2006.

1. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I don't believe in aliens, i'm sorry. i just don't see how it's possible. people can't survive on other planets. and if i did believe it would freak me out. just like santa used to scare me.

2. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Ashley Willows, there's actually a formula to find out how many planets would be able to sustain life, called the Drake Equation.

"You divide the number of stars in a selected portion of the universe by the number of stars that are likely to have planetary systems; divide that by the number of planetary systems that could theoretically support life; divide that by the number on which life, having arisen, advances to a state of intelligence; and so on. At each such division, the number shrinks colossally - yet even with the most conservative inputs the number of advanced civilizations just in the Milky Way always works out to be somewhere in the millions."

-pg 27 of a Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson

And WillowsWannaBe, without further advances in physics and astrophysics, we can't go much faster than we already know. If travelling at the speed of light it would take us approx. 4.35 years to get there, but travelling at the speed of light is impossible until we're able to find an infinite energy source.

Sorry if that makes no sense.

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Isn't that 8, because Pluto was kicked out from that list?

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

poor pluto, it will always be a planet to me :D
    and i think the important thing is, just because we couldnt live in the environment on other planets, doesnt mean nothing could. there are a whole bunch of organisms at the bottom of the ocean that live without oxygen, so organisms on other planets with different atmospheres could evolve to use the resources available to them.

5. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I don't know, but they had discovered a new one and named it 'Sedna' (after the god of the eskimos or IDK :eek:) Actually I don't even know if that's considered a planet. But WTF, Pluto isn't considered one anymore? :eek: *has to watch TV more frequently* :D

6. Ducky

^We had even discussion about it in here, when they voted if it's a planet or not :p

7. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

LMFAO! I thought I missed something important. :lol: I also asked my best friend if she's heard something about Pluto :lol:

8. Ducky

I think it was rude.. just some science guys VOTE if something that has been a planet isn't one anymore :(

9. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

It was only a planet for about 75 years - younger than my Grandma - and even only then because there was an anomaly in Neptune's orbit. 75 years isn't even 1/3 of its orbit.

10. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I think there are other forms of life outhere somewhere - it would be rather arrogant of uss to think there isnt, as someone said

and IMHO there are 3 posibilities:
    1. either they are on lower knowledge level and we will have to find them
    2. we are on the same level and meet halfway or
    3. they are on higher level, they already were there and after seeing whats going on here ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction :)

11. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

Hmmm... I don't quite know what to answer. I kinda think there is some intelligent life out there. But not those freaky bigheaded men appearing on The X Files. But somewhere, far away, there might be a planet like our own. And who knows, they might be wondering about the same thing...

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

back in april they did find an earth like planet that could support life. and its only 120 trillion miles away! :lol: so its probably pretty safe to say we will never get there, and if anything lives there they will never get here.

plus the whole water/temperature/size thing arent the only important factors to support life. a very specific composition of the atmosphere lead to the building blocks of life on earth. so maybe when they analyze the atmosphere of this new planet they could find evidence of life out there :)

13. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

I think there is, just not the kind of green big headed aliens you see on tv. I mean you never know there could be "people" just like us living somewhere out there...in an "alternate universe" But thats just what i think. But even if there is i doubt that we will ever reach them, but hey if they do look like normal people, maybe they have already found us...