"A Watched Pot"- Greg/Riley ficlet

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by GregNickRyanFan, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Title: A Watched Pot
    Rating: PG-13
    Fandom: CSI: Vegas
    Pairing: Greg/Riley
    Category: Romance/drama/friendship/humor
    Notes: Okay, for some reason this old saying popped into my head and then all the bit about it popped into my head as well and I knew I had to put it in a fic at some point... and I just now got that idea. :lol: This fic is a little in the future (not much though). It's also a little silly. :)

A Watched Pot

Wendy walked into the house she shared with her best friends Riley and Mandy. Wendy walked over to Mandy who was in the kitchen getting Riley a drink.

"How is she?"

"A little better. Did you get it?"

Wendy nodded and took the paper bag into the bedroom where Riley was lying on the bed looking miserable. "Here you go, Ri."

Riley took the sack, got up slowly and went into the bathroom. After a few minutes, she opened the door, but stood in front of the vanity.

"Ugh! Why is it taking so long?"

"Patience, Riley," Mandy said, "a watched pot never boils."

"A watched pot never boils? That makes no sense! Who thought that up?" Riley ranted.

"What?"

"What does it even mean? A pot of say... water is going to boil (if you have the stove turned on) whether you're watching it or not! That saying just doesn't make any sense at all!"

"Riley, calm down and get a hold of yourself!" Wendy's voice was firm, but caring. "You're going to stress yourself out and that isn't good for you."

"I'm freaking out, Wendy!"

"I know, but you need to try to stay calm. Freaking out isn't going to do you any good. Take a deep breath."

Riley looked at her watch. "It's time." She looked back on the bathroom counter.

"Well?"

"I can't believe this is happening. I don't know what to do. How do I tell Greg?"

"Well, first of all you need to call him."

"Hello? Is anyone here? Riley? Babe?"

"It's Greg!" Riley said, still nervous.

"Riley, calm down! This isn't like you! You're never the nervous type."

"If you haven't noticed, Mandy this situation is a bit different!" She snapped. "I'm sorry, Mandy. These hormones are already in crazy mode."

"It's okay," Mandy told her friend, "now go out there and talk to your man."

Riley took a deep breath. "Okay." She stuck the item in the pocket of her jeans and walked out of the bedroom and into the living room.

"Oh, there you are. I was starting to think no one was here."

"Sorry, I was in the bathroom."

"Where are Mandy and Wendy?"

"In the other room."

"Oh."

"Greg?"

"Hmm?" He said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pecking her lips.

"There's something that I need to tell you."

"There's something I need to tell you too."

"Okay then, you go first."

"No, that's okay. You can go ahead, babe."

"No, really, Greg. Please go first."

"Well, if you insist." He led her to the couch and sat her down gently, sitting beside her. "Riley, I need to tell you that I..."

"Are you breaking up with me?" She said, her eyes misted.

"What? Oh God, no!" He was shocked that she'd even think that. "Hey, look at me." He lifted her chin gently, looking into her eyes. "Why would you ever think that?"

"I don't know." She said, a tear cascading down her cheek.

"Riley, are you okay? You're not acting like yourself. I've never seen you like this before."

"After. What were you going to tell me?"

"Riley, please tell me what's wrong."

Wordlessly, she pulled the object out of her pocket and showed it to him. "It's this."

"...."

"Greg..." Her words were cut off by his lips against her own.

"Shh," he whispered, "it's okay."

"It is? You're not mad?"

"Mad? Why on Earth would I be mad, honey?"

"Then you're okay with this?"

"Absolutely!" He looked at her. "Aren't you?"

"I didn't know what to feel because I was worried."

"Worried about how I'd feel?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you don't have to worry, Ri." He kissed her sweetly and pulled her into a hug.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

He smiled, pulling something out of his pocket. He concealed it in his hand for a second. "I love you." He kissed her again.

"I love you too."

He opened his hands, revealing a small, square box. In the hallway, Riley's roommates were watching and barely containing their squeals. Greg opened the box, revealing a diamond ring. "Riley, will you marry me?"

Stunned, Riley was speechless for a couple of seconds. She couldn't find the words to say, so she just threw her arms around her boyfriend, well... now her fiance.

"Is that a yes?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" She kissed him. "And the ring is beautiful."

"Well, it's not as beautiful as you are, but then no ring exists that is." He slipped the ring over her finger and kissed her hand.

Riley laughed. "That was corny."

"But true." He smiled and she kissed him again. He put his hand against her stomach. "So, you and me, parents, huh?"

"Looks that way." She smiled, but then it faded slightly. "I'm nervous, Greg."

"Why?"

"What if I suck as a mom?"

"You won't."

"How do you know?"

"I'm psychic. Remember about my Nana?"

She grinned. "You tell me that all the time."

"Well, it's true." He smiled. "Seriously though, you'll be great, honey. Trust me. We'll be the best and coolest parents ever!" They kissed as Mandy and Wendy ran into the room.

"Ahhhh!" They both squealed, hugging the newly engaged couple.

Greg's phone rang. "It's Nick." He announced. "Hey, Nicky."

"Greg, what is all that squealing in the background about? Is that Mandy and Wendy?"

"Yep."

"So, I take it Riley accepted."

"Yes, of course." He looked at Riley as if to ask permission to tell their other news, she nodded. "Guess what else?"

"What?"

"I'm gonna be a dad!"

"You're what? You and Riley are gonna be parents?"

"Yep!"

"Congrats, man!"

"Thanks! See you later."

"Later, man." Greg said, hanging up the phone. He looked over and saw his fiancee's roommates admiring the ring he'd given Riley. He smiled and went to sit down on the couch beside his future bride.

THE END

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

AAWWWWWWWWWWW how cute.

I'm not a Huge Riley/Greg shipper. I can see them having a conversation like this though. Good job!

3. lal

lal Pathologist

hi that was very cute :)