A New CSI:Miami Plotline for Season 5...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by miamirocks, Nov 23, 2006.

1. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey Everyone,
    I'm Michelle - I'm new around here, and this is my first fan fiction post. I'm kinda unhappy with the character plotlines on CSI:Miami, so I've been working on my own. I'm no scientist, so I try to stay with what I know.
    Here's a snippet from an idea I've been working on for CSI:Miami. This might be a little "soap opera-esque," which is ironic b/c I hate soap operas, but I think it has a lot of twists and could ultimately prove to involve all our characters and provide some major character exposition for my favorites - Calleigh and Horatio. Tell me what you think - here's a slice, Hope it's not too long...:

Untitled (thus far)

There was nothing that Joshua Tibbins could do now but wait, and hope that no one saw what he was doing in the lab. He was a newbie to the night shift, and a newbie to Miami, as well. But he believed the transfer, and the move from New York altogether, would pay off. He would finally get some answers to questions that have plagued his 26-year-old mind for as long as he could remember. As the DNA results spat out of the scanner, Josh held his breath and checked the numbers.
    “It’s a match,” he whispered, slightly surprised at what the tests results yielded. “My God, it’s a match.”

Three Days Earlier
    Ryan Wolfe sat in the lab with his head in his hands. Closure. That’s what he had signed up for, but he had forgotten about the paperwork that came along with closing out a case. Now he was knee-deep in it, and his eyes were ready to quit.
    “Hey Ryan,” said a distant voice that Ryan would know anywhere. That distinct southern accent, and perky tone, always gave her away.
    “Hey Calleigh,” he responded, half with a groan. She walked over to him and looked down at the multitude of papers and folders that were neatly stacked on the lab’s desk, indicating, even in his neglect, his OCD tendencies.
    “Doin’ a little catchin’ up?” she asked.
    “Well, trying to anyway,” Ryan responded. “You know, how come you’re always so chipper? You hardly ever miss a beat.”
    “Comes with experience, Ryan. You’ve just gotta learn to roll the punches, and the paperwork. Maybe I can get you — ” Calleigh was interrupted mid-sentence by a slim young man in a collared shirt and kaki pants. He had a strong jaw, light brown hair and sky-blue eyes.
    “Calleigh, Calleigh Duquesne?”
    “Josh? Hey, Josh Tibbins, Oh my gosh, look at you!” Calleigh exclaimed, and moved to embrace him. “It’s been too long.”
    “Yea, about a year-and-a-half, I think,” Josh replied. “I was in Miami, and thought I’d stop by to give you some news.”
    “Ahem,” Ryan interjected, clearing his throat and expressing his curiosity at who could be so important to his co-worker and friend.
    “Oh, I’m so sorry, Ryan – Josh, this is Ryan Wolfe, he’s a CSI,” Calleigh explained.
    “Good to meet you,” Josh said, extending his hand.
    “So, uh, how do you two know each other,” Ryan asked as they shook hands.
    “Well,” Josh began. “It’s a long story.”
    “As you can see,” Ryan said, gesturing towards his paperwork, “I’m gonna be here for awhile, so shoot.”
    Calleigh and Josh laughed nervously. “Well Ryan,” Calleigh interjected, “I’ve known Josh since he was about yei high.”
    “Yea, I’m from New York originally, but, uh, I spent some time in Louisiana when I was kid. Calleigh was on patrol down there at the time, and I was around, oh maybe 12 or 13.”
    “Now, Josh, don’t you give away my age,” Calleigh said with a smile.
    “She’s like a big sister to me, saw me through some tough times,” Josh said, looking down.
    Noticeably shifting the conversation, Calleigh turned to Ryan. “Yea, he’s grown into a fine young from what I hear,” she said playfully, putting a hand on Josh’s shoulder. “Now what’s this news you have for me?”
    “Well,” Josh said, clearing his throat, “I’ve just transferred down here to Miami. I’m gonna be workin’ the night shift.”
    “Oh, that’s terrific,” Calleigh exclaimed.
    “Yea, I was up in New York workin’ with Mike Taylor’s team,” Josh explained.
    “You’re a CSI?” Ryan asked.
    “Oh, yea, I work in the lab mostly, but I always wanted to do field work,” Josh said.
    “Maybe I’m a bit out of line here, but, uh, you look really young. How long have you been a CSI?”
    “Ryan,” Calleigh said, elbowing him. “He’s about a year or two younger than you, and need I remind you of how you hated it when people used to ask you that.”
    “Right, right,” Ryan said somewhat apologetically. “Listen, no harm, no foul?”
    “No offense taken,” Josh said. “I guess I’ve been kind of a natural at this. I think it’s in my blood, and Calleigh’s always been encouragin’ me. When I heard about the opening in Miami, I jumped at it. Mike thought it would be a good opportunity.”
    “Well this is great, Josh, we’ll have to grab lunch sometime soon,” Calleigh said with a smile.
    “Or breakfast – I’m the night shift, remember?” Josh turned to Ryan again. “Hey, man, it was good to meet you, maybe we’ll end up workin’ a case some time.”
    “Thanks, maybe we will,” Ryan said. He suddenly looked up as if he just remembered something important. “Hey Calleigh,” Ryan said, picking up a folder, “Would you mind bringing this file to H, I’m gonna be here for awhile.”
    “H?” Josh asked.
    “Lieutenant Horatio Caine,” Calleigh said. “He’s our boss, but around here we call him H. He’s really great.”
    “Oh, yea, I’ve heard him,” Josh said. “Mike actually worked a case with him just before I signed onto his team. I hear he’s larger-than-life down here. A real action hero.”
    “Yea, well, he’s those things, I guess, but he means a lot more than that to us,” Calleigh said.
    “As a matter of fact,” Josh interjected, “I heard he’s had a really rough couple of years. Losin’ a CSI, then his wife, his brother. That’s gotta wear on a man.”
    “Well, H is tough,” Ryan said defensively. “He gets through it.”
    “We support each other,” Calleigh explained.
    “I know the night shift is a great opportunity, but I hear that being on Lieutenant Caine’s team is like being with family, and I respect that a lot,” Josh said, then glanced at his watch. “Oh, listen, I gotta go. Keep in touch, Calleigh.”
    “Absolutely – give me a buzz if you need anything,” Calleigh replied, waving as Josh walked around the corner. “Well,” she said, turning to Ryan, “I’ll leave you to your paper trail.”
    “Ok,” Ryan said, his mind still running through the conversation that had just taken place. “Thanks for takin’ that file.”
    “Any time,” she said as she too turned the corner.

2. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Like I said in the welcome, your plot is WAY better then the real ones. Oh, suspense. Can't wait to find out more about Josh! One little thing, it's Mac Taylor, not Mike, but that's alright. You did great on everything!

3. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

She said everything! lol good start can't wait to read more. BTW when you get a title, tell me and i will edit your post ;)

4. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Thanks guys - sorry about the "Mike/Mac" Taylor typo - I'm sure the CSI:NY fans are groaning right now. I think I drank a big glass of stupid that day ;).
    I wasn't sure about this story, as it is kind of "quotey," not really what you see a lot of in fan fics. I have another portion of it that I was gonna post, but I think somebody said something about generously offering to proof it beforehand, that way I don't have another Mac-size mess-up. If not, that's fine, and I'll post it as is, but let me know. And feedback is always cool - thanks again. As Horatio would say, to be continued...

5. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Hope it's too be continued. I'm dragging this up from some distant page, so that you can post us a next chapter. Please!