glam_chic86

Head of the Graveyard Shift
I know this movie won't be released until the 9th but I am so stoked. For those unfamilar with the film, here's a synopis taken from imdb

Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" concerns the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his army against the advancing Persians; the battle is said to have inspired all of Greece to band together against the Persians, and helped usher in the world's first democracy.

In the Battle of Thermopylae of 480 BC an alliance of Greek city-states fought the invading Persian army in the mountain pass of Thermopylae. Vastly outnumbered, the Greeks held back the enemy in one of the most famous last stands of history. Persian King Xerxes lead a Army of well over 100,000 (Persian king Xerxes before war has about 170,000 army) men to Greece and was confronted by 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians and other Slave soldiers. Xerxes waited for 10 days for King Leonidas to surrender or withdraw left with no options he moved. The battle lasted for about 3 days and after which all 300 Spartans were killed. The Spartan defeat was not the one expected as a local shepherd named Ephialtes defected to the Persians and informed Xerxes of a separate path through Thermopylae, which the Persians could use to outflank the Greeks.

In 480 BC, the Persian king Xerxes sends his massive army to conquer Greece. The Greek city of Sparta houses its finest warriors, and 300 of these soldiers are chosen to meet the Persians at Thermopylae, engaging the soldiers in a narrow canyon where they cannot take full advantage of their numbers. The battle is a suicide mission, meant to buy time for the rest of the Greek forces to prepare for the invasion. However, that doesn't stop the Spartans from throwing their hearts into the fray, determined to take as many Persians as possible with them.

Basically, 300 Spartans & other Greeks from the region of Sparta, Greece take on 700 or 100 Persians. I cannot wait to see a film about Spartans kicking some ass & fighting for their pride :D. I am not Spartan but Sparta is a place in Greece & I cannot wait!

I thought Sparta was across the sea in what is today Turkey? I guess back then Greece might have been bigger, though.

we had this in Ireland in our film festival as the "suprise film" didnt get to see it, but I heard it was brilliant!

Oh yeah- I probably should have mentioned that I'm really looking forward to seeing this. ;)

Besides the fact that I love Gerard Butler, I really, really enjoyed Frank Miller's Sin City, and the filming looks like it's the same trippy style. I think it's going to be really cool to watch. :)

BabaOReilly said:
I thought Sparta was across the sea in what is today Turkey? I guess back then Greece might have been bigger, though.

No. Sparta is very much still a part of Greece. The only piece of Greece that Turkey took is Istanbul, which was formerly known as Constantinople. Oh, and part of Cyprus too but that discussion is for another thread I suppose. Maybe there's more...

OT: Yeah, I've been hearing that this film has been shown at a lot of film festivals with positive results. I've never heard such hype for a film in a while & I just hope it isn't sold out on opening day :lol:.

I was it Friday night and it was a lot better then I expected. I'm not a fan of these types of movies but I enjoyed it.

I loved it! A lot of action and great effects. I was glad that they changed the queen's role for the movie by making her a lead. In the comic she was in the background. Gerard Butler and Lena Headey were awesome.

Yeah, definitely a very cool movie. The action/fighting scenes were fantastic, and Gerry Butler was freakin' amazing! :D

Sure, there were some cheesey moments, but I liked them because they were very like the graphic novel style that the whole story came from, so they didn't really bother me. I'd totally recommend the movie if you like that whole Sin City style, with an Ancient Greek style this time around.

This was in our paper today..

IRANIANS.."300" INSULTS ACIENT CULTURE

Tehran, Iran..The hit movie "300" has angered Iranians who say the Greek-vs-Persians action flick insults their ancient culture and provokes animosity against iran. 'Hollywood delcares war on Iranians," blared a headline in Tuesday's edition iof the independent edition of Ayende-No newspaper. The movie is based on a comic book fantsy version of the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C. in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a montain pass in Greece for 3 days. Even some America reviewers noted the political overtones of the west-against-Iran story...and the way Persians are depicted as decadent, eexual flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks. In Iran, the movie hasn't opened and dprobably never will, given the government's restrictions on western films, though bootleg DVD's already were available. Still, it touched a sensitive nerve. Javad Shamghadri cultural advisor to Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the United states tries to "humilitate" Iran in order to reservse historical reality and "compensate" for it's wrong doings in order to provoke American soldiers and war mongers against Iran. The movie comes at a time of increased tensions between the U.S. and Iran over the Persian nation's nuclear program and the Iraq war. But aside from politics, the film was seen as an attack on Persian history, a source of pride for Iranians across the political spectrum, including critics of the current Islamic regime. State-run television has run several commentaries the past two days calling the film insulting and has brought on Iranian film directors to point out it's historical inaccuracies. "The film depicts Iranians as demons, without culture feeling or humanity, who think of nothing except attacking other nations and killing people" "It's a new effect to slander the Iranian people and civilization before world public opinion at a time of increasing American threats against Iran". Iran's biggest circulation newspaper, Hamshahri, said "300" is serving the policy of the U.S. leadership and predicted it will "prompt a wave of protest in the world" Iranians living in the U.S and Europe will not be indifferent about this obivious insult" OH SHUT UP :mad:

THE AASSOCIATED PRES.. by Nasser Karmi

^ :lol: They need to lighten up. Sure, the films made the Persians seem a bit odd but the fighting part was pretty historically accurate. Honestly, doesn't expect to enter Greece, state that everyone will become slaves & leave without receiving an ass kicking. I'm sure the same applies to every country. To this day I am proud of my ancestors for standing up to 1000+ Persians. Who knows, maybe I have some Spartan in me. Anyhoo, some of the best lines were...

Persian Officer: SPARTANS! Lay down your weapons!
Spartan King Leonidas: Persians...COME AND GET THEM!

Persian Emissary: This is madness!
Spartan King Leonidas: Madness? This is Sparta!

Queen Gorgo: Only Spartan women give birth to real men.

Never have I felt such pride & goosebumps from one film. This is easily the best film of the year!

^^^ Not that I disagree with you (because I don't), but to play devil's advocate for a moment... What if someone made a film where the reverse was true- it showed the Greeks as the crazy decadent aggressors? Wouldn't you be a little insulted on behalf of your culture?

True, I do think they're overreacting, but then again, it's the government that's complaining, as usual. I wonder what a regular Iranian citizen would think if they got to see the film? Would they just laugh at how overblown the Persians were, or would they actually be outraged? You just never know.

Hmmm it's a tough decision. I can't really say anything until I see what they would do. I can see why these people are upset by the way their ancestors were depicated. I mean, I'm sure it was a group of normal men, like the Spartans, fighting. The masks & makeup & costumes were a bit excessive. Than again, it was a based on a graphic novel so there was bound to be some eccentric aspects.

Yeah, I guess I do realize that they should be upset with the way they were portrayed. Maybe they were much less out there & more civilized. Who knows. However, you cannot deny history & the fact that this all took place between the Persians & the Spartans.

pro-iraq war propaganda? please. they are telling this story from the prospective of the greeks, and from all the historical records out there that is really how these two groups of people felt about each other. if they had made the movie from the persians perspective people would say it was anti-us or europe propaganda. and all the fantasy aspects are due to the comic book nature of the story the movie is based on.
i havent seen it yet, but i intend too. some of the other ancient greek movies recently *cough*troyandalexander*cough* were bad so i have high hopes for this one. ive heard that they left the part out where xerxes decapitates and crucifies leonidas before desecrating the body. you know that would have pushed people over the edge, but it really is just part of the story. *shrugs* i really think people are too sensitive and read too much into it.

Well, political jargon aside

300 rocked! I just saw it tonight in IMAX and I'll never be able to watch that movie again on a smaller screen. It won't be the same.

Back