Grade 'Help'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 14, 2009.

?

How would you grade Help?

1. A+

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. A

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. B

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

i give it an A :)

- case was really.. coincidental. HAHA. it was good.

- as with the hawkes drama.. finally he got the screentime he deserves. although i thought there was not much hawkes-kara scenes. wait. did they even talk, as in, in the present time?

-also i was expecting stella to give hawkes the ring of kara after she went through marie's box, well if she did find it there, then hawkes will give the ring to kara and there would be an aww.. moment. haha.

- i loved it when danny asked sid if he was hanging out with lindsay with all the coincidences. :p

- flack and angell. HOT. lol. esp when they chased after trey in the subway. from the moment they entered, HOT. :devil: haha. loved angell: "stupid idiot. is that redundant?" flack: "not with this guy, no."

- cute last scene with sid, stella and mac. :p

overall i loved this ep. makes a month of waiting worth it. :)

2. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

This episode I definitely want commentary on when the DVDs come out. That lady singing in the subway that Sid, Stella and Mac were watching was Sharon Little...the lady whose cd they plugged after Jerry Bruckheimer's name and before Gary Sinise said "Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode". I just watched this episode again on ON DEMAND so I could look at the credits at the end to see who she was. I thought that Sharon Little and it was. Angell called Trey Fager, the guy her and Flack were chasing in the subway, a stupid idiot. Then she asked Flack if stupid idiot was redundant and Flack answered "Not in this guy's case."

Poor Flack. Looks like he's gonna be in some serious hot water. I hope they get it straightened out by the end of the episode. *Hugs Flack while fending off Angell*

3. lynerjy

lynerjy Victim

So I'm a little confused about some of the case's details...

Colin transferred the blood from Eleanor onto the necklace.. which then got onto Laurel's hand? But hadn't they established that their TODs were too far apart for Laurel to have killed Eleanor? But yet there was enough time for Colin to finish Eleanor's murder, give the necklace to his wife, and then have Laurel see it on her..?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Re the church house, I have one of those right down the street from me

5. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

I probably didn't pay as much attention to last night's episode as I probably should have because I was tired, but here's what I loved:

~Flack tackling dummy on subway, that was hot
    ~Hawkes getting emotional, I wanted to cry for him
    ~Stella shooting the rapist, that was awesome.
    ~Flack & Angell...more please
    ~Sid getting emotional...awww poor baby
    ~Sid asking Mac & Stella if they had plans
    ~Danny...I just love him

I really wanted to see Hawkes and the ex-girlfriend in the present, maybe it opens it up for more interaction later in the season.

I gave it an A

Can't wait for next week....

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I went with a B.

Hill's performance was amazing, and for the most part the episode was a good one. But the ending was completely fumbled in that we never saw a resolution to Hawkes' arc! Does anyone expect things were just fine and dandy for him after the rapist was caught? No, of course not. But his character had a huge emotional story in the episode, and instead of ending on him--or even seeing him after Colin was arrested--we have to sit through what's essentially an ad for some CBS singer. :rolleyes: It would have been a cute enough scene, if it hadn't robbed Hawkes of some sort of wrap up of his story.

Anyway, other than that, the episode was good. I thought it was a really compelling storyline, although the coincidences thing was driven home way too hard. And Lindsay really needs to lose the "worship my brilliance" attitude she has when she delivers random info. She was better with the worm stuff, but the coincidences thing made me cringe.

That one made my brain hurt, too. It didn't make a lot of sense.

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree that's why I gave it a B-. I thought it was totally unforgivable for the story to not wrap up with Hawkes. His emotional connection was just left in the air and even though the subway scene was cute it was not exactly the way the episode should have ended. At least not without a scene with Hawkes after the rapist was caught. Even better, a scene with Hawkes and Kara. :rolleyes:

8. coruption

coruption Dead on Arrival

I completely agree with top and hiphugger. This was an excellent episode...except for the ending. They really should have ended this episode with Hawkes...his reaction,connecting with Kara,talking with Stella or Mac..or something. Now we have so many questions,like did the ring ever get returned to Kara? Did Hawkes and Kara talk about Colin getting caught and how this will affect both of them? Will they ever get back together? What makes this abrupt ending so bad is that, for one,we don't see the personal side of Hawkes hardly at all for the past 5 seasons. Now we finally get to see something and was completely cut off before we can see some kind of emotional resolution. I'm usually not one to pay much attention to the personal aspect of the CSI's lives but that story was interesting.To think positively,maybe they will flesh this story into another episode,who knows. Maybe we will see the resolution some other time,it probally wont feel as rushed as if they had put on the end of this episode. At least that might give Hawkes some more significant screen time in another episode,because you know,if history with this show is any indication,Hawkes will now go back to the story "back burner" for a while....a long while!

Oh well,it was a great episode. My grade: A-

9. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

well i gave it an B.
    I didnt think it was a realy good episode.
    and the hole worme thing.. :(
    and why do stella go to a suspect home whitout any backup???

10. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say I was happy just to see NY back on TV, withdrawal has taken me into reading Twilight and twisted dreams with NY and Twilight so having it back on has brought me back into the real world again.

I did like the case and the was it was brought together, was clever and you could tell from the start that however much accidently the death was there was definately more to it.

Hawkes was great it was nice to see him get his part in the show as he is so often left out of the grittier stuff I find and I so hope that this could mean something for him and the ex, make him smile.

Alex Band was really good, minute i heard his voice i was happy as The Callings first album has always been a fave of mine mainly for his voice. He was pretty good to.

Everything else just worked itw asnt an amazing A episode but it was a good all round one for me I liked the ending even if it seemed a tad odd compared to it being Hawkes's time but I liked it because it was nice seeing Mac chill out.

Have to say i did laugh at the chase on the train and Angell's words, to realise they were aimed at Flack. :lol:

11. Sagemint

Sagemint Witness

I have to give this a B I'm afraid. Mostly I agree with what everyone else is saying about; Hawkes continuation, I mean why wasn't he even in the end of the episode? That seemed very weird and not right.

I mean he just disappeared! Like I watching maybe the last maybe 10 minutes and wondered "wait where's Hawkes, did I miss something?" and I rewound the episode on my OnDemand. I though i really missed something.

Also I love the intensity and emotion Mr. Hill was showing for Hawkes! Although I think he could've somehow hugged Kara, during the hospital scene, closer or something. I understand she was hurt really bad, and it would've been hard to embrace her..But something seemed missing to me for that scene.

Flack jumping in the subway scene was pretty funny and cool I think...

I wished that Stella did have someone with her though when she went to the rapist's home. Even if it wasn't Hawkes could it have been someone else? Lastly I really enjoyed everyone else's performances. The "useless trivia" too. :D

Oh and Flack and Angell are finally onscreen together!! YAY!! I don't think they have been since that episode when they you know...Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Also what happened with...oh man I forgot her name. The woman Mac brought to the hospital? Hopefully she'll turn up again. That was a pretty good way they ended that episode back in December. It made me believe that we were going to see her again in the next episode, but oh well. I'm patient.

So overall B, or a B-. Oh shoot, I can't decide now...:p

Next week's episode looked good too.

12. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

A-

Overall a good episode. I thought Hill was fantastic and it was great to see the impact of rape from the 'boyfriend's' perspective, that was handled really well. I agree with everyone who said the ending was weird for Hawkes. He was our connection for the whole episode and it was like they just dropped him. I would have been happy to have Sid taking Hawkes to the subway for the final scene if CBS just had to have it end that way, but would have preferred some sort of scene with his ex.

Lindsay certainly seemed to be on trivia overload but I didn't mind that so much and I loved Danny's reference about hanging out with her to Sid.

It really bugged me that Stella went to the apartment alone. Who does that without backup? I know she was going to see the girlfriend, but come on!! If tptb really needed to have Stella kicking some guys ass in those circumstances then they really should have done it in a way that would have added some poignancy considering her own history with Frankie. The whole scene struck a chord for me and I would think it would have done with Stella. But, having said that, the emotive tug belonged to Hawkes so it probably wasn't appropriate to have Stella being reflective. That being the case, it would have been better to have someone else make the bust imo.

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Let me get this straight: The FBI determines the DNA protocols for the New York City crime lab? Since when? When, pray tell, did NYC become a protectorate of the federal government? I'm not saying that the FBI doesn't have an influence over DNA protocols in New York; my knowledge of criminology and criminal procedure begins and ends with the dubious realism of television crime dramas. I'm just wondering why this fact has never been mentioned before over the course of five seasons. Not even as a minor aside. You'd think, were this nugget of information true, that TPTB would've set a precedent for its later appearance in this angst-a-thon. If DNA must meet certain quality standards, why haven't three hundred sleazy defense attorneys besieged the crime lab with challenges to their findings? In episodes past, any DNA match was sufficient evidence, no matter how degraded the sample or compromised the chain of custody. I can imagine that a thirty-year-old bloodstained t-shirt stuffed into Mac's luggage--luggage handled by roughly nine million baggage handlers before it was returned, you'll recall--would fail the admissibility test, yet Mac blithely tests it himself and enters the results into evidence in the 333 case. Why, halo thar, double standard. I can't say I missed your ugly face around these parts.

I agree with Mac in principle, but once again, I loathe his methods. Mac is absolutely right to be upset that Sheldon failed to disclose his relationship with a previous victim of the Gramercy Park Rapist. He is also right to point out that any defense lawyer worth his salt would demolish those findings as tainted evidence and junk science. But his maddening, cavalier dismissal of the human element behind an investigation makes me want to choke a fictional bitch. Since Mac deludes himself into believing that his emotions and specific moral rubric never color his investigations, he believes that each of his investigators should behave likewise, and when they don't, he reacts by leaping astride his high horse and drubbing his hapless victim into the ground with infuriating lectures on scientific propriety. Mac refuses to acknowledge the essential humanity of his team, and when a team member dares to behave in a way that contradicts Mac's rigid concept of How Things Should Be, Mac becomes, well, a self-important asshole.

I don't think Mac means to be such a callous ass in these situations. I think it's an instinctive reaction in the face of an imminent threat to his lab and the pursuit of justice. He's so fixated on ensuring that the evidence is above reproach that he forgets to acknowledge the internal struggle of the people who process it because in his mind, that struggle is irrelevant to the final outcome, which is justice for the victims. He wants to help Hawkes, but the only way he knows how to do so is to catch the rapist with unimpeachable proof. It's honorable and noble, and his heart's in right place, but his obtuseness in the face of another's personal anguish is infuriating. He should've prefaced his tirade with the promise that he later issued outside the nightclub. Then, his rant would've been nothing more than a good boss trying to do the right thing for everyone. As it was, since the promise to "get this guy another way" came after Stella gently hinted that he might've been a jerk, it came off as belated ass covering by the writers and lacked genuine warmth.

Also, Mac? Hawkes ordered Adam to run the sweat before you removed him from the case, so your seething butthurt at his alleged defiance of your authority moves me not a jot. Shut the hell up with your thundering outrage. That schtick got old three years ago and now causes me to clench my ass cheeks so tightly that I'm in danger of shitting coal, if not a ten-carat diamond.

Hawkes, though, had warmth in spades, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing him display a more vulnerable side, though I was disappointed that he and his ex-girlfriend had no scenes together. His self-recrimination in his final scene with Mac was a wonderful contrast to Mac's sinless stoicism, and Hill was right to be proud of those scenes. They made the episode.

Aside from Hawkes' outstanding verve, however, the episode was rather bland. I didn't buy into the fortuitous coincidence of the first victim recognizing a piece of jewelery that was stolen ten years ago at a glance and deciding to get it back by any means necessary. Why would seeing that inspire a homicidal rage? Did she think the woman was secretly her rapist, a dildo-packing pervert who got her jollies shtupping her victims with a Rubbermaid wiener? Sorry to disappoint, dear, but the Criminal Minds auditions were last week.

A humdrum case saved by Hill Harper's outstanding acting fu.

B-

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

wasn't too into this ep, probably b/c i had some high expectations for it and have been waiting for a new ep for a while.

was it just me or was the music annoying? that bothered me something fierce for an odd reason.

i liked how everything came together and was connected but other than that i wasn't too thrilled with the stories.

wasn't this like the 2nd time that Hawkes was some how involved in a case and had to be pulled off? you think he would learn. besides that i liked him in the ep he was good. usually i can only take so much of Hawkes but he did a good job. i liked how he and Mac played off each other to me it seemed like the calm (Hawkes) and the wrath (Mac) and they worked it out.

i liked the scene where Stella got into the fight with the rapist, that was cool. it was kinda gross when the worms came out of the bullet wound, yuck!

not the greatest ep but not the worst. i liked the coincidences (SP?) and the connects with the deaths.

15. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I liked the episode. I loved the fact that Flack and Angell had a scene that wasn't flirty, thereby proving that that kiss didn't ruin everything.

I was a bit annoyed by the lack of real closure in the Hawkes storyline.

One thing I didn't like was how blatantly obvious it was that the fiancee was the killer. They saw the necklace and said that the victim was missing jewelry, and it was just, like, "So either it's a red herring or the most obvious killer in the history of this show, besides the times that we see the people kill."

Le sigh...