Last Photographer Standing #2 - Final Results Now Up!

Re: Last Photographer Standing #2

Well done all. Sorry to see you go as well Andreina, but do continue entering the challenges.

As I said before, I personally think that this theme was by far the most difficult of any theme to vote on, due to the broad subject. All photos were great! Congrats to ALL!

Wow. Living End any one of those would have worked. What a great idea and what great photography!

Wow! Thanks for voting my pic! And congrats to the other winners! The pics were really amazing.

DJRideout , did you indeed arrange your pic? It is great!
LivingEnd , your pic is awesome! I thought about a compass or so, but a sundial didn't cross my mind.

Andreina, so sorry to see you go. Hope you will join us next rounds anyways. Would love to see more from you.

wolfesgamergirl, I hope you will stick with us. It would be too bad if you drop out. See, I've got almost voted out last round (like this round, it was also #5 that polarised - probably a bad number, eh?) and got second this round. It is just for the fun and I would be sorry to see you leave.

As for the several requests regarding my pics... I see I got you all quite confused about it. Mission accomplished on abstract photography. ;) :lol:

So what was it? Basically just a glass of champagne, but I did close ups from it with my 60mm EF macro lense. Here you see two other shots from that glass and the champagne in it. I got closer and closer until I got what you've seen.

actually it wasn't arranged...the only thing I had to do was tip the frame to the opposite side. I had to climb up on top of my deep freeze in the basement to get the shot. I noticed it one day, then thought it would be neat to get it looking through the frame.

Wow, BonaTaylor. I never would have guessed champagne. You did an amazing job with that pic. I thought it was bubbles caught in plastic. It had the shininess of plastic. Great work!

Djrideout that was an amazing picture too.

I bow to both of you. Great jobs!

LivingEnd, that is the most complex sundial I have ever seen! :lol:
BonaTaylor, can I ask what kind of camera you use? I'm looking to get a new (better) one, and yours seems like it may be what I'm looking for.

Noo.. well still I would be joining as regular contestant.. I am just getting started :D
Congratulations to all the winners! and I love your photo bonataylor!
Regards

Congratulations to all the winners, and Andreina, I'm sorry to see you go.

BonaTaylor, I would never have guess that was champagne! Great work!

Wow! Thanks everybody for your nice words on my pic! :D That really made my days. Yeah, it is amazing what you can do with a macro lense. :)

Megan, I use the world's best starting into SLR photography camera - a digital SLR Canon 350 D with the standard 18-55 mm lense coming with it. I could try out another wideangle lense from Sigma for some time, but couldn't afford to buy it til now. Can't really specify what it was, but it was in any case better than the crappy one coming with the cam! I also have the above mentioned 60 mm EF macro lense and another 128-330 mm tele. Though the last one is an actual analog 80-200 mm lense for my old EOS 300 that works pretty well on the digital version.

I am CANON camp, I am just completely convinced about the camera's greatness ;) , though I have also extended experience with the NIKON D70s and even my heart doesn't hang on it with passion, I can tell that it is a very good camera as well.

Pro's Canon:
- Best colour adaption on pics I have ever seen on SP format level
- Small weight
- If you are used to Canon settings on a small or SLR cam, then you will easily be able to adapt blindly to the new camera
- on 400D - Self cleaning censor
- Low image noise, even on high ISO
- Quick cam, on doing pics, doing settings, loading flash
- filters are fitting from most of old analog cam/lenses (Ø 52/ Ø 56cm, no idea what this is in inches, about 18/20 I guess)

Con's Canon - yeah, also Canon has its flaws...
- 350D has sometimes autofocus problems, can't find focus point, especially when it's dark. You have to try several times to get to the result. (If you can focus on the right spot, then chosen spot is sharp!)
- Sometimes, for no obvious reason, my cam has a disfunction and doesn't work anymore. It shows me some random error number. Then I have to take out batterie, CF Card, wait for a minute and then get things back on. Happens, when I do loads of pics in a row, no obvious coherency to lense, flash or settings.
- Body has a weird textures, that gets a lot of "scratches" on, such as from finger nails and stuff. Can be cleaned easily, but always looks somewhat dirty. Can't really explain. Body isn't really plain, like unruffled, you know?
- 18-55 mm lense that comes with cam is crap. Replace it with a cheap from Tamron or Sigma and you will already definitely have better results on sharpness and on large aperture worked pics.

Pro's NIKON:
- Easy Flash settings, e.g. rear flash on quick setting button
- More focus points to choose from (11 instead of 9), therefore never experienced autofocus problems with that cam.
- lense coming with cam (18-70 mm) WAY better than that crappy thing from CANON. Greater range as well!
- cam body is better processed than the one from Canon
- Extremely quick cam in getting started and doing series shoots, very nice for sports photography, though somewhat slow on accepting setting changes.
- Extremely short shutter speed time (1/8000 s) (but also risk of Vignette on the pic's fringes)

Con's NIKON:
- Only from ISO 200 starting, no ISO 100 - weird to me...
- Big lense diameter but small censor results on large image noise even on low ISO
- pretty heavy-weighted, especially for small women hands! ;) Side strap would be helpful
- Colours are less impressive, typical NIKON problem, always was, always will
- Some buttons for settings are not really easy to access when you are already shooting. You have to take your other hand for help. As well buttons are not really intuitiv to use. Can get annoying, but maybe that's just because I am Canon camp and had trouble to get used to it.
- Hard aperture, results sometimes also in noisy pics as mentioned above. Depth sharpness is low even on larger aperture (around 6-8). Nice for art photography, annoying for random people photography.
- Big lense + UV filter results in reflections on actual pic when photographing directly into the sun such as at sunsets etc. (Can happen on CAnon as well, but not as often)
- As well amount of lense flares in pics is higher, user of "sun cap" is recommended.

Summary:
Bear with me, I am not an expert, just pretty ambitious on photography! ;) :lol: That's all just based on my personal experience and preference, so I won't vouch for its complete correctness.

If you like to travel and take loads of random shoots ony our trip, you will have more fun with Canon, cause it is small in weight, easy to handle and pretty alright for about every situation.

If you tend to do more art photography under studio conditions and use it for close ups and set ups such as portrait photography, Nikon has its advantages. For travel I didn't like it cause it was so heavy on my neck.

In any case with both cams, you can't do anything wrong. :) Hope it helps.

Uhm those flaws on the (Canon) 350D... never had them. 18-55mm lens is very great. I now also use a tamron 18-200mm lens. Because of the big range you get the wide angle effect which bothers me some times but I really haven't got any complaints about the canon standard 18-55mm lens.

I also never had the error on it. same as some friends having the camera.

Body is a bit weird but handy when having sweaty hands and it doens't scratch that easily! I always put it in my backpack without anything protecting it. Goes great!

Auto focus when it's dark. yeah a bit. but I don't get bothered by it.

The only thing bothering my about the 350D is basicly the non-self cleaning stuff... But Next motnh I will buy a static dust lifter.. Hmmz sounds csi like :p And than that problem is solved! That costs about 50 Euros.

I am pro-Canon btw. Always have been. Can't help it. But a friend of mine has a Nikon and that one's great as well Indeed heavier! But at the end of a long day... I always have a sore neck :p

I must add that if you;re going for Canon. I would really recommend the 400D because of the self cleaning issue. I really get bothered by the dust on my sensor!

And for that matter I have had to try the following camera's: Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus.
All the second last or last models in digital SLR. And al had some advantages and the same disadvatages. All are fine. And I must add that I didn;t expect ot from Sony but they have quit an impressive new SLR camera! But yet, I stick with Canon!

Congrats to the winners!
Those were some awesome pictures. And, BonaTaylor, champagne? Wow, didn't see that one coming! :eek:
Very nice :cool:

Hey, was anybody at the Interpol concert last week? Because after the concert, there was a girl taking pictures of all the garbage (empty cups, cigarettes, etc.) that was left on the floor. I was like: "Why would anyone take pictures of garbage when not being in the Last Photographer Standing?" :D

Just got the news that Bev is not going to continue joining us in the LPS. Not because the whole discussion thing but something came up in her private life.

Haven't got a lot of photos for the garbage theme yet.. I know there are some days left but just a friendly reminder to y'all

_Hush_ said:
Hey, was anybody at the Interpol concert last week? Because after the concert, there was a girl taking pictures of all the garbage (empty cups, cigarettes, etc.) that was left on the floor. I was like: "Why would anyone take pictures of garbage when not being in the Last Photographer Standing?" :D

I thought that only you were from Belgium! And I haven't been to Belgium last week. (Got a very close friend who lives near Ghent/Gent). But maybe someone else saw some potential photos :lol: Ohw and offtopic: :rolleyes: Hooverphonic :rolleyes:

_Hush_ said:
And, BonaTaylor, champagne? Wow, didn't see that one coming! :eek:
Very nice :cool:

Yeah, champagne indeed! :lol: Thanks for your kind words.

The funny thing is that I was working for a biotech company and I being not a photographer but qualified as the person to work the camera the best from all employees :lol: was asked to do pictures of bubbles (for some weird reasons) and I got myself a "recipe" to do big soapbubbles with that are somewhat stable and don't pop away that quick. It was a complete disaster. It didn't look good AT ALL!! The bubbles had those ugly shapes and maybe just the ones on the fringe were kinda usable...

We never used those kinda pics in any kind of marketing material. It was driving me nuts. Of course, I knew I could have done better with a macro lense but company didn't have one and I couldn't afford one. Later, after I got my macro lense (and job at the biotech company was over), I figured that the trick is to go WAY closer to the actual bubbles and then you can take like really tiny bubbles that are stable AND have a nice shape. And this is basically the trick. For proving my case and because of being to lazy to do the recipe for the soapbubbles once more I took champagne and tada! It worked. Much to my surprise as well cause those bubbles are anything but stable... :lol:

So lessons learned for today... if you EVER need to have bubbles in pictures, take champagne and a macro lense. :lol:

Bev , I am really sorry to hear you have to leave us. I was soooo looking forward to see more of your awesome pics. Maybe you will come back as a non regular contestant though. :D

Lol, I thought I was the only Belgian too :p
But I didn't talk to her or anything. It was more like "Hm, that's weird." (And then I accidently stepped on her friend's toe in the lobby. Really really sorry about that, btw :lol:)

I'm working really hard on my garbage pic. Got too much to choose from, actually :p
I love people's faces when I'm taking pictures of trash. They're all like "What the hell are you doing..." :D

Oh, and Bluecurl, I am from Gent :cool:

I haven't gotten the time to photograph that garbage thing myself. It is something I want to do for a while but haven't gotten around to make something work. Garbage and waste is usually something you like to walk by and ignore... Something that is already unwanted by most. So all you here get the honour first :lol: I am so mean! :lol: And I am really wonddering what people will come up with!

[offtopic]
Gent is great! Rotterdam is such a place with modern architecture while Gent is such the other way! Old buildings, catherdrals, etc! And last year (2006) I went to the Genste Feesten and the whole athmosphere at the Korenmarkt! So great! This year I wasn't able to go. I really want to go again next summer!
[/offtopic]

What I also want to do but I'm to chicken to do... is urban exploring. Belgium has such great abandoned buildings and such. But I might go and see what's left of the old train tracks at Gent. Not everything was removed, I thought!

Back