Is Lindsay a Mary Sue character?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 18, 2007.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Yeah, but every single character in the history of everything does. For every freak on television drinking milk directly from a cow's tit there's some idiot out there going, "yo, that's me!"

And yet nobody has stripped down to their underwear to wrestle in mud and settle this Lindsay the Mary Sue question once and for all. Thread does not deliver <[​IMG]>

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^I'm sure Caruso will volunteer to strip down and wrestle with you, midnight. ;)

Actually, it was a different LJ, but good to know that there are multiple entries about this! :D I agree that we were supposed to like her right off the bat, which irritated me a bit. She was the super cool girl who tackled suspects and dug into tiger dung and oh yeah, impressed the hottie. Really, who could not love her? :rolleyes:

Ryan's intro on Miami was much more believable. He wasn't some perfect god of all things CSI--more realistically, he was a patrolman trying to feel his way out in a new field. It wasn't like he was making mistakes all over the place--he was observant and gutsy (with the alligator) but he clashed with Delko pretty early on, and also talked about having OCD. He's a much more well-rounded character.

I agree--she can't really upstage Stella, the lead female character on the show, and of course, no one trumps Mac. ;) But I think you're right--a big part of that is because she isn't some person on a page (like she would be in a fanfic story), but is brought to life by an actress.

I certainly think that's been true of how her storyline has been played out. Even in "All Access" it wasn't so much about her concern for Stella as it was about her dramatic histronics, yelling at a suspect and storming out of the room and making Danny chase after her. She could have pulled him aside at some point and expressed her concern, but by being so dramatic about it--and interrupting an interrogation!--she made it about her, not Stella. Ugh, Drama Queen. :rolleyes:

I've never bought into the Danny as player idea, but I agree that the storyline with Lindsay has totally changed him. The women he seemed to be into before tended to be dark haired, exotic, strong, beautiful women--Aiden, Maka, the girl from the train. Lindsay is small, mousey and plain. Now, if she had a kickass personality I could buy it, but Danny seemed into her because the scripts demanded it.

I think the fact that she's poorly written and poorly portrayed probably factors into it as well. But on paper, she's got a lot of those Mary Sue qualities.

3. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

I WISH they had pursued that thing with the girl on the train! I loved it!

4. flacksgirl

flacksgirl Hit and Run

Mary Sue HA!
    Well I never thought of it that way but I can definetely see her like that.
    At first I liked her because she was an outsider, Non-NewYorker, but since that has wore off I am kinda bored with her. I don't dislike her, I am kinda indifferent to her.
    It really doesn't matter to me if she is there or not.
    She does seem to fit that whole replacable mold to me.
    There are certain characters that would impact the show if they left (Danny, Mac, Flack and Stella) but to me I really don't think that the show would be impacted if Lindsey left.

Sorry if that offended any Lindsey fans. It is just how I feel about her.