Cult Movies

Calihan

Captain
The title pretty much says it all. What cult films do you either love or hate. I've only seen a couple but I'm starting to enjoy the genre. I've seen Reefer Madness and I didn't full enjoy it, but I want to re watch it. I don't know if you'd consider this a cult film, but I've also seen Clerks which I loved.

Highlander. Though my favorite is the series. The first one is the only decent one, the sequels stink. *doesn't have a whole lot of hope for the upcoming 5th film either*

Love

+ Empire Records
+ Dazed and Confused
+ Porky's
+ Pump up the Volume
+ Heathers
+ Resevoir Dogs
+ Napoleon Dynamite

Don't like that much/Never gotten into it

+ Rocky Horror Picture Show
+ Pulp Fiction
+ Fight Club

since i dont live in the states, im not quite sure what movies are cosidered cult movies, but i get the general ides. you say that pulp fiction is a cult movie. i like it.
are 'the reyal' tennenbaums' and 'fabled' comsidered cult movies? fabled maybe not, because its one of those movies that NO ONE has heard of. (its an american movie, i can look it up later, im late now)tell me if you know...

Hmmm. I enjoy "Pulp Fiction" mostly for the way the story is told, and the deeper messages.

"Rocky Horror" is sorta like a right of passage. I introduced my fiance to it for the first time this year. I've been dancing the timewarp since I was 13, but he had never even heard of it. He found it frightening.

"Pumpkin" was one of the most bizarre little movies I have ever seen. I really wasn't sure how I felt about it afterwards, though I didn't mind never seeing it, again.

"Jawbreaker" is such a guilty pleasure for me. My fiance can't seem to understand why I want it on DVD, but it's just such a fun ride!

"Cry Baby" It's Johnny Depp singing. You can't go wrong. I mean, it's goofy as can be. "She's a scrape. Half square, half drape." What the heck? But, it's such a fun ride! I laugh and sing along every time I see it.

"Benny and Joon" Another Johnny Depp film that is just so utterly bizarre. Enjoyed it, but not sure I ever want to see it, again.

"Weird Science" Can that be considered "cult?" I always felt like it was. This was one of my fav movies as a kid. Yes, I'm really, really strange. I just loved it!

"2001: A Space Odyssey" Can not stand this movie. Just can't stand it. Visually, it's incredible, but I guess I don't trip enough to understand its deeper meaning... Just can't stand this movie. It makes me sick to my stomach, and I'm not saying that to be mean. Last time I watched it, my stomach ached for an hour afterwards.

"The Shining" I actually only saw this movie this year. It was such a strange experience, and besides the one gratuitous scene, it was really intriguing. There was a chilling factor to it, but Jack Nicholson's character was just so incredible to watch. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...

"Blade Runner" My gosh, another strange movie. I can't say I ever want to see it again for enjoyment sake, but more for study. I think there were a lot of themes in it that I probably missed the second time around, and there's always that lingering question... was our hero a replicant all along?

"The Hudsucker Proxy" Hehehehhehehehe! Adore this movie. I just laugh the entire time, and the circle. Oh, the circle. I was "forced" to watch this in a film class, and this was one of the few movies I walked out of class raving about. It was just so much fun to watch. I laughed so incredibly hard!

"Im Juli" Ok, it's not an American flick, but I adore it. "In July" is a great European road trip movie. It's absolutely hilarious. So much happens, and though it has a lot of the "regular, romantic, American" themes running through it, it's a fresh look at the road trip... but please don't call this one europudding! It's too good!

"Nightmare Before Christmas" Some consider this a cult movie... I don't know if I would, necessarily, but it is one of my favourite movies of all time. I can sit and watch this movie over and over again, no matter what mood I'm in. I have the soundtrack, and can often be seen in traffic jams, instead of yelling, singing and dancing to, "What's this!?"

"Edward Scissorhands" The movie that first really turned me on to Burton's work. It was just so honest and Edward was so innocent and naive, stripped bare of all the pretense that plagues the regular world. Where the existed in cookie cutter homes and monotonous days, he lived in his own little world, one with snow and beauty.

"This is Spinal Tap" I appreciate this movie, I really do, but I have never loved it in the way a lot of my friends have. I just can't get into it as much as many other movies... still good, though. Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer and Michael McKean all shine.

"Napolean Dynomite" Abhor this movie. And, I know that sounds awful, especially considering how much my fiance loves it. I just don't get this movie. I mean, I've watched it twice. It just doesn't click with me...

"Johnny Dangerously" Oh, Keaton KILLS me in this movie. It's another movie that is just too incredibly funny for itself. "Oh my panties trimmed with lace, I put on my black silk disgrace." Everyone wants to live dangerously after seeing this flick.

"Little Shop of Horros" Oh, what a gag! What a blast! The music is fun, the lyrics often rediculous, the characters hilarious. "Feed me, Seymour!" Don't feed Audrey II! Don't do it!

"Easy Rider" This film goes nowhere, but it is such an accomplishment for its time. The first movie to really use a rock soundtrack, and it works wonders for all the long motorcycle scenes. I don't necessarily want to ever see it again, but I'm glad I saw it. It's a part of history.

"Network" Without a doubt, one of the strangest movies I have ever seen, but in some ways, darkly prophetic. It's an exaggerated look at the news industry, but for its time, it was incredibly adventurous.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" I have tried watching this movie so many times, and while I get the humor, I don't ever find myself completely drawn into it, wishing to watch it over and over, again. I know it's a cult classic, but I just can't wrap my head around it...

"Fight Club" A deeply disturbing movie, but really well done, as well. I mean, when you watch this movie, and when it all clicks, you're left with a strange feeling in your stomach, but it was definitely an enjoyable ride, and I'd love to watch it, again, someday to really study it.

"O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" Oh, what a great movie. It's a really strange twist on "The Odyssey." It's a lot of fun to watch, and definitely something to enjoy over and over, again. I was never huge on bluegrass or that style of movie, but there are a few songs in this movie that will be stuck in your head for days.

"Dark Crystal" One of Henson's masterpieces that is rarely seen or heard about. It's just such a beautiful movie, and the puppetry is so well done. It's a time before computer generated images, back when it was all about what one could acheive through a different level of artistry. It's just beautiful to watch.

"The Labyrinth" David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly in a strange and twisted tale that takes a young girl on a journey to save her little brother. When I was a kid, this movie greatly confused me (what, with the rolling heads and all), but it's intriguing to take in.

"Groundhog Day" My fiance is obsessed with this one. If there were twenty deluxe editions out there, he'd buy them all. Me? I really enjoy this movie, just not to the extent he does. :)

"Bubba Ho-Tep" Oh my gosh, Bruce Campbell, what have you done! This movie is a trip. I mean, you seriously feel like you've been on drugs after taking in this movie, and they're making a sequel. It's just so incredibly bizarre! Elvis in a nursing home... oy!

"Ghost World" Scarlotte Johansen in the only movie I've ever liked her in. Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch are also in the cast, actually higher up than Scarlotte Johansen, but it's an interesting movie, about relationships and what one really wants out of life.

"American Beauty" I really consider this a cult movie because it just feels like one. I went and saw this one in theatres with a friend, and it's an very twisted journey through love, lust, family, isolation, and a struggle to cope. It's beautifully twisted.

"Hellboy" I really enjoyed this movie up until the last ten minutes. Then, it got a little cheesy for me, but other than that, I really, really enjoyed it. It was all about Ron Pearlman, really, and his portrayal of a tortured soul whose pride prevented him from bonding with the one person in the world who looked at him without flinching.

"The Breakfast Club" I get it. They're in high school. It's detention. This movie is just so incredibly slow. It's another movie you just have to see, though, or your life is incomplete. I've seen it several times, so, I guess I'm good.

"The Gods Must Be Crazy" This movie is all about a coke bottle. Ok, that's not what it's really all about, but that's what puts things into motion. A coke bottle is dropped out of a plane into a small community of bushmen. The story takes off from there.

"The Stepford Wives" The ORIGINAL. We're talking the original which was a bit creepier than the remake. This movie was all about a small community where the women were a bit too "perfect."

"Earth Girls are Easy" I own this on VHS. I should probably see if they have it on DVD these days, but it's just one of those movies that is such an incredible guilty pleasure. Jeff Goldblum, Gena Davis, Jim Carey... It's such a hilarious time about what happens when furry aliens set down in a swimming pool.

"Blazing Saddles" Not sure if it's cult, but it sure is funny. I own it on DVD because Cleavon Little just gets me every time while holding himself hostage. The man had great timing, and this movie is so awesome. Not to mention, this movie features my favourite EVER performance from Gene Wilder. Yes, this tops "Willy Wonka" for me in terms of his performances. It even tops "The Producers." This is a comic gem.

"Four Rooms" Four different directors with four different stories, all tied together by Tim Roth's character. I have to say, my least fav was probably the bit by Rodriguez, while my favourite was from Tarintino. It's a strange one.

"A Fish Called Wanda" Can we consider this cult? Kevin Kline in the role that won him an Oscar, along with Carrie Fischer and a few good ole Monty Phython boys. It's confusing to watch the first time around, but absolutely hilarious. Kevin Kline's character is just so DUMB.

"Noises Off" Michael Caine is just so good, and this is no exception. I have seen this version of it, as well as the stage version, and this show is good no matter how you view it. I love watching it, and there's always room for sardines.

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" I have not seen this movie since I was a kid, but I remember it was just so much fun for me. I loved it, and made sure to watch it whenever it came on television. I may have to rent this one, soon, to see what I think of it as an adult.

"Clue" I own it. It's got an all-star cast and it's got one of the silliest plots of all time. Communism was just a red herring. Remember that.

"Double Indemnity" Saw this one in a film class, and while I get why it's a hit, I'm not big on femme fatales. I absolutely adore watching film noirs for their look, though. That brings me to:

"Out of the Past" It's another great noir, but, again, the femme fatale angle is just such an overplayed aspect of most noirs that I struggle through it. However, this movie is better to me than "Double Indemnity."

"Run Lola Run" It's a German film, if I remember correctly, and it's Tykwer at his finest. It's a dazzling movie about second and third chances, and about the many different paths one might take, based on the slightest different one motion, movement, or thought carried out in a day.

"Cowboy Bebop" It's a Japanamation movie that is set to a different sort of beat. The characters are off-beat to an extent, and their goals may seem selfish, but their actions ultimately contribute to the good side of the force. :)

That's all I have for now. I'm not even sure if all of these are cult movies, but there they are. There are a lot of other movies I've seen and loved that *might* qualify as cult movies, but I'm not sure.

I have Pulp Fiction on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. I really liked Napoleon Dynamite, he's my hero. He just rocks. I liked the movie so much, it made me laugh.

i love the rocky horror show and little shop of horrors and empire records although i had to watch it twice to understand it didn't really have a plot

Alyssa said:
"Blazing Saddles" Not sure if it's cult, but it sure is funny. I own it on DVD because Cleavon Little just gets me every time while holding himself hostage. The man had great timing, and this movie is so awesome. Not to mention, this movie features my favourite EVER performance from Gene Wilder. Yes, this tops "Willy Wonka" for me in terms of his performances. It even tops "The Producers." This is a comic gem.

I agree Blazing Saddles is a great comedy, in fatc all of Mel Brook's comedies are excellant. I don't think you could consider this a cult movie in any way.

Pabzi to answer your question, a cult movie is typically a movie with only a small group of fans, but usually the fans are pretty devoted to the movie.

The Labyrinth is really great. What about The Neverending Story? Is that considered a cult movie?

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange and Pulp Fiction are really great too. And I've heard Donnie Darko being mentioned as a cult movie... but I don't know... it's one of my favorite movies though. And The Shinning of course. Scary as hell! And let's not forget about Hellraiser :D

I want to see Rocky Horror but my problem is I only want to see the play version with Anthony Head and I doubt that'll ever happen lol

helgagrim said:
The Labyrinth is really great. What about The Neverending Story? Is that considered a cult movie?

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange and Pulp Fiction are really great too. And I've heard Donnie Darko being mentioned as a cult movie... but I don't know... it's one of my favorite movies though. And The Shinning of course. Scary as hell! And let's not forget about Hellraiser :D

ooh, never ending story, donnie darko, clockwork orange...love those! didnt know that they are cult.

what about urbania? is it considered?

zomg!! labyrinth!! love love love! that and the goonies, those were like defining movies of my childhood. but you dont hear about them anymore which is a shame, because they are amazing.
i would consider kevin smith movies cult movies. dogma is pretty much my favourite movie ever. both clerks are amazing too

Back