Is 'New York' Facing Cancellation?

CSI Files

Captain
TVGuide.com placed CSI: New York on its list of “13 Bubble Shows”, which features series in danger of being cancelled. New York experienced a drop in ratings after it was shifted to Fridays at 9:00pm ET/PT, and freshman lead-out series Blue Bloods pulls in better numbers on the difficult night. However, nothing has been set [...]

More...

While I agree that the show isn't as strong as it used to be, I don't think CBS will cancel one of the CSI shows lightly. NY still has 9+ million dedicated viewers tuning in every week, and syndication deals might play a role in whether or not CBS decides to keep it on the air. (I'm not sure how all of that stuff works, so I could be wrong.) Ultimately, the show does pretty well for a series that airs on Friday night.

The CSI franchise has been a cornerstone of the network for a long time (not just with TV, but also merchandising and such) - I'm not sure I see CBS pulling NY from the schedule at this point...

Syndications deals play a major factor on the show's cencallation.
CBS has to cancel 3-4 shows for next season so I bet they cancel Medium,Defenders,The Good Wife.....And we still have to see how their mid-season replacements perfrom.

I'm sorry to say but I really can smell the show's death in the air. For many fans, major cast changes are incredibly difficult to stomach, even if the replacement is someone they find acceptable or even are a fan of. This applies to me towards Sela Ward. Ms. Ward is a gorgeous actress and yes, I don't deny both her acting skills and her beauty especially for someone of 50 plus years of age. :D

Yet, for every fan that followed Ward, and is embracing Jo Danville, from my observation and interpretation, there are at least ten-plus angry Stella/Melina fans who have stopped watching after MK left over the summer. I'm sorry Ms. Ward but too many of us are too upset to care for this show anymore, myself included. I don't think even you and/or Sinise can save this show. I look forward to seeing your acting skills on future projects on both the big and small screens. CSI:NY is now too far gone for me to watch anymore.

I am not surprised that CSI:NY is on the list of shows in danger of cancellation. Despite being the 'newest' of the three, I see NY being the one most likely to die first. :( Even fans who aren't SMackies have told me that they found MK leaving to have killed the show for them. Even the ancient Vegas show has better prospects than NY does.

This, converging with the show moving to Friday Nights, I think are what may finally seal the show's demise. It is so sad that it has come to this, to see such a great era come to such an ignominious end to so many of us. :(

Last edited:
Hello,
I don't see either how the show can survive MKs leaving - and the "ancient" other show faces an even bigger problem if Marg Helgenberger really leaves after season 11. Personally, I will not watch CSINY after the last show with MK airs over here, I feel that SW is totally wrong in that ensemble and for me as a longtime viewer, the show get's more stupid all the time and I have lost interest in wasting my time on that.

For "The good Wife" being canceled - i don't think so. Julianna Margulies is Emmy-material, the show get's high praise and frankly, it is rather original compared to the third installment of CSI that never really took flight.

I'm sorry to say but I really can smell the show's death in the air. For many fans, major cast changes are incredibly difficult to stomach, even if the replacement is someone they find acceptable or even are a fan of. This applies to me towards Sela Ward. Ms. Ward is a gorgeous actress and yes, I don't deny both her acting skills and her beauty especially for someone of 50 plus years of age. :D

Yet, for every fan that followed Ward, and is embracing Jo Danville, from my observation and interpretation, there are at least ten-plus angry Stella/Melina fans who have stopped watching after MK left over the summer. I'm sorry Ms. Ward but too many of us are too upset to care for this show anymore, myself included. I don't think even you and/or Sinise can save this show. I look forward to seeing your acting skills on future projects on both the big and small screens. CSI:NY is now too far gone for me to watch anymore.

I am not surprised that CSI:NY is on the list of shows in danger of cancellation. Despite being the 'newest' of the three, I see NY being the one most likely to die first. :( Even fans who aren't SMackies have told me that they found MK leaving to have killed the show for them. Even the ancient Vegas show has better prospects than NY does.

This, converging with the show moving to Friday Nights, I think are what may finally seal the show's demise. It is so sad that it has come to this, to see such a great era come to such an ignominious end to so many of us. :(

Where's your proof that the fans are 10 to 1 leaving the show over embracing the changes? You can't make a statement like that without backup for your claim. And polling Melina and SMACk fans you're friends with doesn't really count as valid IMO. Neither is polling a few people on a message board. We're talking about a show that has millions of viewers. No one can accurately tell why some people stopped watching the show based on the amount of fans who are vocal on the internet. You can't pinpoint the slip in the ratings to one reason. Period. And if you could I'd blame Friday nights more than one person leaving the cast even if it was a lead who left. Having around 10 million fans watching on a Friday night is a good number.

It's funny how you talk about how sad you are about the show's supposed pending demise here, yet in the Mac/Stella thread you said everyone on the show could "go f*ck themselves" because you're so pissed that Melina left you WANT the show to be cancelled. I wouldn't call yours an objective opinion by any means. And guess what. Melina CHOSE to leave the show so your anger is misplaced at best.

Friday night is a death slot anyhow. People are often not home Friday night.

I'm someone who actually watches New York more regularly now that it's on at 9pm on Friday nights.

If they think New York is facing cancellation they should keep an eye on Miami - 10pm Sunday nights? How many times did Cold Case not air last season because of football over-run?

Susan

I loved Stella/Melina, but I have to say that with the exception of last week's episode, this season has started out much better than last season (and I don't mean the first few eps last season, I mean last season as a whole). Last week's ep was just kind of boring for me because I generally don't like gang or mafia related storylines in anything. Although EJO was great in his role. I think Sela has breathed new life into the show, but that's not to say that I don't miss Stella/Melina, because I do... but I kind of hope the show survives.

To be honest, I think the Criminal Minds spin-off will end up being canceled. I mean sure the British guy's attractive, but there really is no chemistry with the cast (judging by the ep of CM they were featured in) as there is with the original CM cast. So, I think it'll go. TGW is boring to me, I just don't like politics lol. And when you combine it was lawyer stuff, I snooze lol. Defenders didn't really grab me either, but it seems to be doing well in the ratings. I think some of the new comedies could end up getting the boot.

Some of the shows listed in TVGuide as being "on the bubble" like NY was have already been picked up for the whole season. Some of them have been "on the bubble" for multiple seasons too. Unless the ratings really take a tumble as the season goes on I don't see CBS cancelling a show that pulls in almost 10 million viewers on a Friday night.

I loved Stella, thought she was a great character. However, I'm really, really enjoying what Jo/Sela has brought into the show. She's different and fun and has great chemistry with the cast. It'd be a shame for the show to get cancelled when this season has started with such great episodes. I was one to believe that with the move to fridays and Melina leaving it would be the last season but my opinion changed when Sela was brought onboard and I've seen the character they've created with Jo. I really hope this is not the end.

Unfortunately, as great of an actress Sela is, I think this show was heading downhill fast. Especially after last season.
She has added something that has been needed, some fresh blood.

But,the show is at the mercy of the new night (Yes, Friday in the states is the death night, but not as bad as Saturday night) and the fact that one of their long time characters has left. And the miserable way they handled it. No offense but what the HECK was up with Lindsay getting Stella's note and not Mac? To me that's not how it should have been handled. And yes, perhaps that was a factor in why people no longer tune in??? :confused:

Between the move to Friday and Melina's departure, I'm not at all shocked at the possibility that the show would be canceled. I hope it's not. Maybe they could move it back to Wednesday and put it up against L&O SVU like it was before??

I'm a Brit so I haven't watched Season7 yet (I can't wait til it's back though). However I think it's kind of expected that ratings have dropped considering MK left and they moved it to Friday nights, which from the sounds of it is not a good slot over in the US. I think CBS just needs to give it time and ride it out for a bit. There is a chance that ratings will go back up in due time.
Personally I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how the show is with a new person in it, it's good to shake things up sometimes. That's not to say I wont miss Stella because I definately will...she was one of my faves.
I really hope they don't cancel CSI:NY as it's my favourite show! Fingers crossed!

This is a long one folks so make yourselves comfy personally I think it could go either way it was always going to be touch and go moving CSI: NY to Friday nights with MK/Stella still in residence but without her it’s going to be difficult justify an 8th season ratings wise but not impossible. I’m sure Sela Ward is a lovely person and a wonderful actress but the problem is and always will be that she’s not our Stella the Stella we have loved, laughed and cried with down the years and never will be. CSI: NY never was the one man type show a la Grissom in Vegas or Caine in Miami it was always a partnership right from the pilot Taylor and Bonasera the heart and soul of CSI: NY the glue that binds it together. As someone as already said here you can’t replace the irreplaceable and that’s what both Mac and Stella are an irreplaceable double act you wouldn’t have Holmes without his Watson, Superman without his Lois Lane or Robin Hood without his Maid Marian they are far, far too well loved for anyone in their right mind to even think about it one without the other is plain wrong just like Mac without his Stel is plain wrong and nothing can ever change or compete with that. I’ve said this many, many times around the net I don’t know what TPTB where thinking off during the 6th season at all they seemed to have over dosed on the gross stupidity pills right from the get go. At the end of the 5th season they were flying along taking on all comers and winning hands down if TPTB had carried on with building up the groundwork they had set for a Mac/Stella romantic relationship and the Dunnesbrook stuff (my all time favourite bad guy) not to mention delving into Stella’s mysterious background then they would have had no problems and we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all. Instead the 16 million or so views who tuned into expecting to see Smacked and a gripping conclusion to the shootout got the downright disgusting Adam incident and a finale that made very little sense for a start if your going to hold the City to ransom why would you wait an entire month before giving out your demands and isn’t it an awfully big coincidence that the one bar the gun men pick (there must be thousands of them) is the one where our guys are? I’m going to give the writer the benefit of the doubt here and say they didn’t fully appreciate how much damage the Adam incident would do but damage the show it did and at least they had the sense not to follow up on it but if they had any sense at all somewhere down the line they would have found away to indicate nothing actually did happen at all thereby pouring oil over extremely troubled water because the whole Adam thing is what triggered the decline in ratings people don’t like to see characters they care about cheapened like that and an angry, disappointed audience is never a good thing. Good judgement though seems to have been a rare commodity after that though with large amounts of season 6 I’m sorry to say being boring at best not to mention an over reliance on Serial killer storylines. At one point I was beginning to wonder if some kind of homicidal maniac’s conference was in town we had so many. Just when I and everybody else thought that the worse was over TPTB in their somewhat dubious wisdom announced the triangle storyline and not only were we getting a new love interest for Mac that nobody actually wanted or even particularly liked but the return of Peyton until the arrival of Jo the most disliked character in CSI NY history. By now I and just about everybody else watching were wondering if P.V. & co were actually trying to get their own show cancelled because they certainly did everything possible to alienate as many viewers they could in the shortest amount of time didn’t they? CSI: NY is a crime drama not a soap opera and it certainly isn’t some lovesick spin off from Twilight either something TPTB seemed to have forgotten. Anyhow the 6th season ended blessedly free of both Peyton and Aubrey even though Shane Casey has to be the most unconvincing, least threatening villain of the week ever. So what was left of an already dwindling audience was cautiously optimistically awaiting season 7 a fresh start so to speak when the announcement MK wouldn’t be returning was made. I didn’t think it was possible TPTB could make a bigger mistake than the Adam incident/triangle storyline but yet again they proved me wrong. Not only that but we don’t even get a good bye episode with Stella plus the very next day we had the announcement that Sela Ward would be replacing her and every since how she was now the saviour of CSI: NY non-stop the very worst way TPTB could have ever possibly handled the situation since basically all us long suffering Smacked fans were told we can go whistle for what we want and that the much loved Stella/MK is somehow inferior to Sela Ward what on earth did TPTB think the fan base would do dance for joy? Then just to add insult to injury Sela Ward says the worst possible thing she ever could that she thought her character might become involved with Mac I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt too and say she didn’t realize just how popular Stella/Smacked is and it was a genuine foot in mouth screw up but it did seal her fate in that any chance she might have had to win a large amount of any already massively angry audience over went straight out of the nearest window. Leading to us being 4 episodes into season7 debating whether the show will make it till Christmas, I hope it does get renewed I really do I just can’t see how if it carries on the way it is doing. For the good of the show firstly and most importantly Stella/MK needs to be wooed back by ant means necessary, TPTB need to realise that or they are well and truly scuppered without her. Second Jo Danville needs to go it should be blatantly obvious the character is not working I hear her ex-hubby is set to reappear let them be reunited and send her back to DC where she belongs. I can’t stress this enough they audience doesn’t want second best or a replacement that want MK, Smacked and the one and only Stella Bonasera! I will always love CSI: NY for the show it used to be and Stella & Mac will always have a special place in my heart but I can smell blood in the water and so can everyone else only time will tell if the injury proves fatal but I will mourn the show it could have and should have become not the mess it is now. If the worse does happen though then TPTB have themselves to blame don’t they? They were warned countless times over the 6th season how unhappy their audience was becoming and not to persist with such deeply unpopular storylines and yet they still chose to ignore that advice time and time again.

This is a long one folks so make yourselves comfy personally I think it could go either way it was always going to be touch and go moving CSI: NY to Friday nights with MK/Stella still in residence but without her it’s going to be difficult justify an 8th season ratings wise but not impossible. I’m sure Sela Ward is a lovely person and a wonderful actress but the problem is and always will be that she’s not our Stella the Stella we have loved, laughed and cried with down the years and never will be. CSI: NY never was the one man type show a la Grissom in Vegas or Caine in Miami it was always a partnership right from the pilot Taylor and Bonasera the heart and soul of CSI: NY the glue that binds it together. As someone as already said here you can’t replace the irreplaceable and that’s what both Mac and Stella are an irreplaceable double act you wouldn’t have Holmes without his Watson, Superman without his Lois Lane or Robin Hood without his Maid Marian they are far, far too well loved for anyone in their right mind to even think about it one without the other is plain wrong just like Mac without his Stel is plain wrong and nothing can ever change or compete with that. I’ve said this many, many times around the net I don’t know what TPTB where thinking off during the 6th season at all they seemed to have over dosed on the gross stupidity pills right from the get go. At the end of the 5th season they were flying along taking on all comers and winning hands down if TPTB had carried on with building up the groundwork they had set for a Mac/Stella romantic relationship and the Dunnesbrook stuff (my all time favourite bad guy) not to mention delving into Stella’s mysterious background then they would have had no problems and we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all. Instead the 16 million or so views who tuned into expecting to see Smacked and a gripping conclusion to the shootout got the downright disgusting Adam incident and a finale that made very little sense for a start if your going to hold the City to ransom why would you wait an entire month before giving out your demands and isn’t it an awfully big coincidence that the one bar the gun men pick (there must be thousands of them) is the one where our guys are? I’m going to give the writer the benefit of the doubt here and say they didn’t fully appreciate how much damage the Adam incident would do but damage the show it did and at least they had the sense not to follow up on it but if they had any sense at all somewhere down the line they would have found away to indicate nothing actually did happen at all thereby pouring oil over extremely troubled water because the whole Adam thing is what triggered the decline in ratings people don’t like to see characters they care about cheapened like that and an angry, disappointed audience is never a good thing. Good judgement though seems to have been a rare commodity after that though with large amounts of season 6 I’m sorry to say being boring at best not to mention an over reliance on Serial killer storylines. At one point I was beginning to wonder if some kind of homicidal maniac’s conference was in town we had so many. Just when I and everybody else thought that the worse was over TPTB in their somewhat dubious wisdom announced the triangle storyline and not only were we getting a new love interest for Mac that nobody actually wanted or even particularly liked but the return of Peyton until the arrival of Jo the most disliked character in CSI NY history. By now I and just about everybody else watching were wondering if P.V. & co were actually trying to get their own show cancelled because they certainly did everything possible to alienate as many viewers they could in the shortest amount of time didn’t they? CSI: NY is a crime drama not a soap opera and it certainly isn’t some lovesick spin off from Twilight either something TPTB seemed to have forgotten. Anyhow the 6th season ended blessedly free of both Peyton and Aubrey even though Shane Casey has to be the most unconvincing, least threatening villain of the week ever. So what was left of an already dwindling audience was cautiously optimistically awaiting season 7 a fresh start so to speak when the announcement MK wouldn’t be returning was made. I didn’t think it was possible TPTB could make a bigger mistake than the Adam incident/triangle storyline but yet again they proved me wrong. Not only that but we don’t even get a good bye episode with Stella plus the very next day we had the announcement that Sela Ward would be replacing her and every since how she was now the saviour of CSI: NY non-stop the very worst way TPTB could have ever possibly handled the situation since basically all us long suffering Smacked fans were told we can go whistle for what we want and that the much loved Stella/MK is somehow inferior to Sela Ward what on earth did TPTB think the fan base would do dance for joy? Then just to add insult to injury Sela Ward says the worst possible thing she ever could that she thought her character might become involved with Mac I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt too and say she didn’t realize just how popular Stella/Smacked is and it was a genuine foot in mouth screw up but it did seal her fate in that any chance she might have had to win a large amount of any already massively angry audience over went straight out of the nearest window. Leading to us being 4 episodes into season7 debating whether the show will make it till Christmas, I hope it does get renewed I really do I just can’t see how if it carries on the way it is doing. For the good of the show firstly and most importantly Stella/MK needs to be wooed back by ant means necessary, TPTB need to realise that or they are well and truly scuppered without her. Second Jo Danville needs to go it should be blatantly obvious the character is not working I hear her ex-hubby is set to reappear let them be reunited and send her back to DC where she belongs. I can’t stress this enough they audience doesn’t want second best or a replacement that want MK, Smacked and the one and only Stella Bonasera! I will always love CSI: NY for the show it used to be and Stella & Mac will always have a special place in my heart but I can smell blood in the water and so can everyone else only time will tell if the injury proves fatal but I will mourn the show it could have and should have become not the mess it is now. If the worse does happen though then TPTB have themselves to blame don’t they? They were warned countless times over the 6th season how unhappy their audience was becoming and not to persist with such deeply unpopular storylines and yet they still chose to ignore that advice time and time again.

Back