D/L Why we dont like it

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by meggzie, May 21, 2009.

1. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

2. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

Mynerva24 i think it all started in her first episode Zoo York. Its episode 3 of season 2. Danny told Lindsay that Mac only likes to be called 'sir' and he was trying to sort of freak her out since she was new. It was actually pretty funny. I really liked them in the first couple of episodes they had together. They had a love/hate relationship at the beginning i think. Then it all went downhill for me after the later part of season 2. It started to seem like Lindsay was really needy of Danny, she just seemed like a lovestruck puppy. She became Danny's love interest instead of a good character IMO.

3. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

I watched that one (more than once, actually), and yeah, at the beginning, it was funny to see their exchange (though, well, i was still a fan of Danny-Aiden back then, and still had a high hope that Aiden'll be back). So, it was later in season 2, then? Okay, will try to watch some of them, and come up with my thoughts... Thanks for the info:)

4. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

just watched green piece again (that was a good idea) and it just made me believe more that these 2 have no chemistry whatsoever i mean he had to have his boss convince him to ask her even though she had already turned him down once. he dragged her there and practically begged her to marry him and promised changes that we have seen he haant made. and she was like urrm.. ok. not like OMG i love you yes let us get married more sort of like WELL you did bring me here and i am knocked up so why not. :lol: lol

and another thing that has annoyed me is the fact that grissom and sara werent allowed to be together nor were calleigh and whats his name ( lol not being rude i cant actually remember his name. the guy that was undercover?) but d/l cannot only be together they can make the lab look bad in an evaluation STILL be together get married and have a baby. with no question whatsoever. it is like 1 rule for 2 shows and a different rule for this show

5. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

^^yup. I get that she got pregnant and all but it just seems like Lindsay had to get pregnant in order for him to say "i love you" And I mean, she said no the first time he asked her to marry her. And only what, 5 months later, he asks her again and says yes?? That's just weird IMO. And then the whole thing felt so rushed. And only Mac & Stella were there. It could at least have been a nice wedding. If I were Flack, Doc or Adam I would have been pissed about them not inviting me. They've just never really caught my eye. I don't understand what's so special about them. And Danny I like the pre-Lindsay Danny better. He just is not that reckless/New York guy that I love anymore. "family man" Danny is not really for him...

6. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

From what I gather, it seems to me that the characters don't even really like each other that much. Well... they do like each other, but not in a romantic way. Lindsay seems like she's amused by Danny, like he's some kind of puppy or something. And Danny was more interested in the baby than her after he found out she was pregnant.

It irritates me that two grown people who are scientists by trade have an unplanned pregnancy. One would think that they would be a little bit more careful when having sex.

I'm also very down on office relationships. They're distracting. (Just like D/L relationship took out a big chunk of season 5).

7. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

haha lol a puppy never thought of it that way but true i suppose

and yh you would think they would be a bit more careful but obviously they both a bit stupid in thay area and they settin a bad example most of the people watching this are young :lol: and i agree danny ONLY ever seemed intrested in the baby

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I wrote this in the thread debating Mac/Stella, but thought it was legitimate here as well. There are many reasons I don't think Danny and Lindsay work as a couple--lack of chemistry between the actors, Lindsay's manipulative treatment of Danny in season three, Danny's clear disinterest in her in season four...but dealing with them currently as a couple, this probably best sums up why I don't think they work:

CSI shows don't do romance especially well. Procedurals generally don't. When I'm watching, say, Grey's Anatomy, things that are said/done between Meredith and Derek or Alex and Izzie will actually make me smile, or occasionally cry. That show does romance really well for the most part, but then, that's it's purpose because it's a soaper. I got swept into it when Grissom went to Sara in Costa Rica and smiled when Eric and Calleigh finally got together, and yes, Flack and Angell were hot, but by and large, CSI shows don't generally do romance especially well because they don't devote enough time to it. It's not the purpose of the shows. Putting chemistry and actress concerns aside, Danny and Lindsay could have been a cute pairing at some point, but right now? It feels like Danny married Lindsay because of the baby. Lindsay's own motivations feel murky at best because she's under-developed but if you go back to what she said in season four, I guess you can assume she married Danny because she loves him. It's hardly a healthy or happy relationship, but it's been smoothed over to the point that we're supposed to buy that it is--because whatever needed to happen between them happened off screen, because crime dramas don't devote a lot of time to this stuff.

9. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

^^^ You're completely right Top. And it's a sad truth because CBS "romances" have the potential to be really goooddd. *coughflackangellcough* But like you said, CBS won't do it because it's not the basis of the show. Especially on CSI since it's supposed to be all about the science. I don't watch Grey's Anatomy or all of those soapy shows (no offense to anyone);). But I imagine they are good because it is the reason why people watch the show, it's all about the personal drama and the writers/producers do what they want with it and have the time to do so.

And in many ways, the character drama is a huge part of why people watch CSI too. It is fictional after all. But (although it's not supposed to be blatant) TPTB are so not subtle about it. Especially when it comes to D/L. Green Piece, Greater Good and all of those other D/L eps were all stunt episodes to get higher ratings. It's so obvious and to me---annoying!

But most of all it's sad the show is so dependent on this D/L stuff because i so do NOT believe them as a couple at all. I know this is totally biased because i'm such an F/A fan. But in his latest interview here Lenkov said that F/A was not a relationship built in editing, which I think is what made them so great together. But D/L on the other hand is something completely done on purpose. They are just not natural, which is what makes them lose any appeal whatsoever with me.

10. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I don't particularly like the couple....but I do think they are quite cute....or maybe I'm just going goo-goo over that adorable bundle of a baby!!!

Maybe it's just because I'm a new viewer....but I thought they were rather lovable together.....or maybe I've set the bar so low that it just makes them look good!

hmmmm.....oh well....I actually quite like Lindsay.....she is a funny country girl....and her scenes with Flack are hilarious...

11. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I thought I had already posted on this thread, then I realized I hadn't...whoops :)

The thing that irks me the most about D/L is that it is so contrived, and obviously so in my opinion. Every move they make, every line, every hand on the shoulder bit or goofy googly eyes across the lab-it all looks scripted. Yeah, the show is a show and things are scripted, but it shouldn't look that way. To me, their relationship has always been something that the writers contrived: I do think they sat down one day and said, "You know what? We feel like hooking these two characters up. Let's have this stuff happen so everyone knows they are in love." There was nothing to really draw on for their relationship because it was just created out of nowhere. Look at Flack/Angell: there were several instances when the two of them were interacting before the relationship was thought up, and it was clear they had fire between them. Angell wasn't brought in and given the title "Flack's love interest"...she was a character on her own that interacted very well with Flack, and something came out of it.

The second reason I really don't like D/L is the fact that I don't think it does anything for either character. Danny was once a vibrant, layered, impulsive, and interesting character to watch in seasons 1 and 2. In seasons three and four he turned into a prop for Lindsay to hold up her character, and he's lost some of that fire. Lindsay herself has never really been much of a character to begin with-she started out fine in season 2, but has been reduced to Danny's girlfriend, baby mama, and now wife. Hooking her up with Danny has done far from 'propping her up'; its handicapped her character permanently. She really can't stand on her own now because she is forever linked to Danny and his baby, and vice versa.

Those are the main reasons I really don't like the two of them together in a relationship...but I'm sure I could think of a million more shallower reasons of why I don't like them together...:p

12. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Oh well, so here's why I don't like D/L: No chemistry, no sparks, no passion! They're not even good friends, just two people who were put together by the writers.

As you've mentioned before, it wasn't so bad at the beginning but sometime between Danny trying to get her and Lindsey's "mood swings" they lost it.

Haven't seen season 5 so far but D/L alone makes me think of not-buying/watching it.