I wish they would flash back to...

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. nver

nver Victim

I'd like to see Mac with Claire, too. Did they meet when he was in the Marines? That would be perfect!

2. lkles08

lkles08 Dead on Arrival

I want to see a flashback to right after Aiden was killed. I know that they all meet for a drink, but as somebody said all ready that Danny is an emotional person and it must have hit him hard. Maybe the funeral or something along those lines.
    I think it would also cool to see the baseball game where Danny got hurt. It obviously changed his life.
    Mac in a Marine uniform would be cool too!!

3. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I've been watching on CBS.com.

4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

It's a real shame the writers haven't really tried to do flashbacks like we're talking about here on the show. I watch NCIS, and the writers there have shown many flashbacks of Gibbs' life, particularly of his first wife and child, without those flashbacks ever getting in the way of the crime aspect of the show, and yet adding a great deal to his character development. They have done the same with other characters on the show too. I feel it really adds to the quality of the show and our understanding of the characters (again, Gibbs especially because he doesn't actually talk much about his past).
    I hope the NY writers will try flashbacks sometime.

5. Loafie

Loafie Rookie

Talking of Danny's emotion instability, remember when he had the girlfriend who "liked to talk"? It would be good see what happened there and why they broke up. Maybe it had something to do with the hostility (as well as lust) he had towards Lindsay at the beginning of their relationship.

I'm with everyone else on the 9/11 flashbacks as well. It would be good to see the reaction of all in the lab especially if they were at work at the time.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It would definitely be a good way to develop the characters and give the audience - although not necessarily the other characters - information about the team. (Actually, that could be even more interesting - we would know something the other characters don't know, which would make the audience feel a bit more connected to the individual characters. While everyone might be wondering why Danny is acting a bit strange, we as the viewers would know that something was affecting him and making him think about his past.)

They have had a few flashbacks now that I've thought about it (Danny and Louie in "Run Silent, Run Deep", Hawkes in the hospital in "And Here's to You, Mrs Azrael", Mac in Beirut in "Charge of This Post", Lindsay's past in "Sleight Out of Hand", Stella in foster care in "Cold Reveal" etc), but I wish they'd do more. The flashbacks add something to the storytelling.

They always claim that NY is more 'character driven', so I think any way they can develop the characters should be part of their arsenal (so to speak). It seems to me that a flashback can deliver more information (verbal, visual, etc) in the same amount of time as the character saying, 'Such-and-such happened when I was younger.' Plus, they wouldn't necessarily need an excuse for the character to share with another character. Something could make Stella flash back to her childhood, for example, without it having to be brought to the attention of the other characters at all.

I think it would be really interesting if they had a series of flashbacks for a character over the course of several episodes, and then we'd find out what was making them flash back - like something in the present that brought that particular part of their past to the front of their mind (not necessarily the way they did it with Lindsay's backstory). It would be a different sort of story arc. (Like maybe Adam flashes back to parts of his childhood for a few episodes, and we get more and more information about a certain span of time, and then in the present we find out something is going on with his father and that's why he's been thinking about that particular time span - because it's related to what's happening in the present.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  7. Loafie

Loafie Rookie

I think Adam would make for good flash backs because of his childhood.
    I'd liked to see how he felt back then and how thinking about it now makes him feel.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think it would be interesting if we saw an episode from his point of view - learning about the case as he does, seeing a 'day in the life of Adam' so to speak. I think an ideal chance to do something like that would be a case that involves abuse in some way. (We don't know if his dad was physically abusive toward him or just toward his mom - I got the impression from what he said in "Some Buried Bones" that his dad used to hit his mom, and we know from "Forbidden Fruit" that his dad was probably verbally abusive, but we don't know if he got hit. I would think so, but we just don't know.) Maybe it's a case where he goes to the scene to help collect evidence, and seeing the obvious signs of abuse on the victim makes him flash back to when he was a kid and his father was hitting him or his mom. As they deal with the case, we'd see everybody working to solve it, but Adam would kind of be the central character around which the action happens, and we'd get to see various flashbacks as they go through everything. It would also provide a chance for him to maybe talk to another member of the team (maybe Mac, Stella or Danny would be good, although seeing him talk to Flack could be really interesting - ooh, or Sid, I vote for Sid) - he could comment about how that victim could have been him or his mom, and there'd be a bit of a heart-to-heart moment. (Since I voted for Sid, I'd love to see a bit of a paternal reaction from him since he has at least one child of his own.)

So yeah, that's not just what flashbacks I'd like to see, but that's one way that I'd like to see the flashbacks incorporated into a storyline. It would really add to the character's development, it would be a different way to tell the story (with a pretty straightforward case that allows the episode to concentrate on Adam), and I think it could create a powerful episode - it wouldn't just be, 'My dad was a bully...my dad used to say how much I cost him', it would actually make his past real in a sense.

So there's a question - if they did an episode like that (one that concentrated on a character with the case being straightforward and secondary to the character development) for each of the characters, what would you like to see for them?

For Danny, I'd like to see something to show his family's possible ties to the mob (as indicated by Louie being a Tanglewood boy), for example - that would be a good one to let us see things without Danny revealing anything to the others. (I doubt he'd talk much about that with his coworkers and friends, especially if there's shame or something like that associated with it for him.)

9. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

mac and claires relationship both in ny and chicago like how they met and stuff

dannys childhood

stellas childhood

sid and his family

sheldon when he was a doctor

adams childhood or more bout his father

10. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

~I would like to see an episode where we see a flash back to how the charaters came to work at the NY crime Lab?

I think that would make a cool episode:)

11. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Lots of good ideas here. :)

Random parachute posting.:p How about...

To: Flack, either deciding to enter the academy, or dealing with his first precinct assignment after graduating, trying to make his own name as a cop and not be overshadowed by his father; days before he'd managed to do so. Or maybe to when Flack finally gets his gold detective shield, what got him there.

To: Sheldon as a young and underpriviledged prodigy. Why he went into medicine.

To: Stella's earlier days as a cop. I thought there was mention of Stella having worked in Narcotics for awhile before Homicide and forensics; so maybe to her working then; maybe she crosses paths with some of the others while they're also working in different departments; a new case ties into an old one that somehow crossed boundaries between departments or something.

To: one of Mac's pivot points. I thought the original backstory had Mac's time in the Marines ended due to injury. So, perhaps a flashback to that, where he realizes his injuries will end his active career as an officer in the Marines; seeing him trying to figure out what to do next, perhaps this moves into showing how he started thinking about or decided on becoming a cop

To: one of Danny's pivot points, no not Tanglewood, his baseball days. Or maybe a combo of both. His injury dashing his dream. Having to move on. Mebbe that does tie into a personal slide while he figures things out, and finds himself drawn into Tanglewood stuff.

To: Mac and Stella as partners before running the labs. Maybe to when they were first assigned as partners.

To: Sid as an elite chef... :lol: :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  12. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think they kinda did that in a way, that she was working for her PI license and was trailing DJ Pratt and taking pictures of him. I don't know what else they would really do...

13. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

They did an one whole episode of BBC's Torchwood where they jsut showed how each person got hired into it and I think CSI NY would do good with an episode like that... Lots of nice backstory beacuse it's true we do actually know very little about WHY and HOW the came to where they were.

Though I would not propse going in and doing childhoods pieces... However, Adam might be the only person I support childhood flashbacks.
    Thinking about it we have see a Mac, Lindsay and Stella childhood flashback and Danny's late teens/early twenties one [or whenever it was before he became a CSI]...

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Okay, this could be fun. If I could choose what stories I would like told from the past they would be:

Mac: What brought him to be a CSI and when. The fact that he was military doesn't explain it to my satisfaction. Oh, and something about Claire pre-9/11 to give us a sense of her personality.

Stella: The story of her decision to be a cop.

Danny: His family's reaction to him entering the police academy and what affect it had on their relationship with him. If they were mob-connected it obviously was not a popular decision.

Adam: Something with his mom when he was a kid.

A question about Danny...it was mentioned that he graduated top of his class...I assumed that was police academy but is that the class they meant? I know he carrys a badge so he's a sworn in policeman. Just not sure what "class" they meant.

Lindsay: Her relationship with her dad.

Sid: I want to see Thanksgiving at Sid's house with all his relatives.

Sheldon: Struggling with this character. Will leave it to Faylinn.

Flack: I want to know what event put the pain in his eyes when he talks about his dad.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  15. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

That, I think, would be one of the best episodes in the entire series. I personally vote for Danny. Honestly, I think that they should've bonded more after Snow Day. That didn't happen, but it would've made sense. After all, experiences like that create bonds between people. Anyways, I think Danny would offer a shoulder to cry on. (God, that makes me think of Run Silent, Run Deep... *tear*).

Not to mention, Danny/Adam is one of my OTPs. :thumbsup: