National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by adorelo, Feb 22, 2009.

1. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/programs-events/nedawareness-week.php

Please take a few second out of your day to have a poke around this site. It's really got some useful tips and info for sufferers, careers, family and friends, and those simply interested in learning more.

I say lets blast ignorance to pieces and banish all those stereotypes. Spread some awareness people. :) Thanks! :thumbsup:

My theater company and I put on a special request show last week to raise some pennies. My director went to donate this morning.

You guys do/doing anything? Like the idea of a support week? I personally do, considering how taboo discussion about stuff like this (in all seriousness, not media opinion) is.

2. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

Do you mean support week like, for a boards thing, or in general?

I have a good friend who had an eating disorder (bullimia) and got over it...It just took a lot of counseling, but she's fine today :) I think the more awareness there is, the better chance there is people won't be as apt to suffer...I think stressing warning signs is REALLY important because you don't always recognize what's going on until it's too late, and already happening.

3. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

It's a weekly thing that happens internationally. Just a way to spread awareness, answer questions people have and hopefully eradicate some of the prejudice and ignorance surrounding the issues.

I had a lot of fun coming up with creative ways to spread the word.

I'm glad your friends doing okay. Bulimia is a very complex illness (in some ways, I'd say more so than anorexia). I'm glad she had your support.

If anyone ever wants links to sites, information about eating disorders or just to chat, I'm always open. Just becasue the awareness week has come to a close doesn't mean the issues vanish.

J