"The Grave Shift" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 18, 2009.

1. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

Add me to list of people who did not find Catherine bossy or abrasive. Her supervisory demeanor in this eppy was a vast improvement over Season 5. Now that was bossy and abrasive.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Once again this gets so tiresome:rolleyes: this is my view my opinion and my interpretation, I said nothing about anyone's views or opinions of their comments, please show some respect for others or say nothing, to my comments. If you don't agree that's fine, but the point of this board is for fans do comment on what they saw and how they observed certain aspects of this episode, & certain characters and their versions of how they treated the new character Dr. Langston. thank you:) oh and the gross parts Nick eating the fly YUK:vulcan: and the kid that spit on Dr. Langston, talk about respect, all he was dong is trying to help.. so immature and childish:(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

That is a good possibility. I also thought that the book was not Archie's or at least he was lying about reading it.

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I thought Catherine (and everyone else, except Hodges at first) treated Ray just fine, giving him advise and showing the ropes.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Could it be that some misinterepted what you said in your opinion, observation and or tone of your post? But could the same be said that you also misinterepted their response or tone regarding your opinion? While true everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone is entitled to disagree with said opinion and as long as they backup why they disagree there shouldn't be a problem. To ask someone to show respect but then add in "or say nothing" is exactly what your asking others not to be disrespectful. I want everyone to keep this in mind for future reference.

6. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I love the episode. Poor Ray, he is learning from a good teacher, Nick. I like Nick shared office with Greg and Riley. Catherine wasn't bossy then she does in fifth season and Redrum and everybody got a opinion on who they think rather Catherine is bossy or not.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I kind of felt bad for Ray during the fingerprint scene. He was trying so hard and it wasn't coming together correctly and he was getting so frustrated with himself.

8. DaveR

DaveR Victim

Me too (though I don't remember how Catherine was when she became Swing Shift supervisor, so don't include me with that LOL).

I loved the fingerprint scene where Catherine also shows him how it's done, and he says "I hear it's all in the wrist" with her saying something like "actually, I believe it's all in the fingers."

She was super to him, very caring and trying to get to know him a little bit.

I'm greatly looking forward to future episodes and everybody getting to know him.

9. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Finally watched this eppy...

Really good!! It felt new and refreshing. Back to the basics, stuff we haven't seen since the first couple of eppys. LF is a great actor, i will look forward to seeing how his character develops. Loved the character interactions, the diner scene, hodges, the desk part at the end.

I have no doubt in my mind now that CSI can survive and still be good with some cast changes. I hope they steer away from any more romance storylines between characters, it really dragged CSI down.

And yikes, Grey's is down to 14 million? Neilson better get off their lazy arse and come up with a ratings system that actually works with the given technology.

10. ashlmorr3

ashlmorr3 Witness

I know i'm a few day slate responding, but I liked this episode. I didn't think I could be able to watch without Grissom being there since he was my main reason for watching, but I tried and succeeded. I just kept thinking of him as being on leave or something, and that scene with Catherine and Ecklie kind of gave me false hope. I had my doubts about LF character, but he really impresed me. I like how Nick took over the teaching role, and the eating the bug thing was funny. Kind o flike his little tribute to Grissom.

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I think Catherine has mellowed and I don't see the abrasiveness that she once had. She has proven herself in this man's world and is worthy of being a supervisor; so I hope they don't go back to overplaying the 'stripper-becomes-scientist' that they did in the early seasons.
    I thought this was a good episode, not stellar, but a good introduction to CSI Langston. I hope they continue the 'bromance' that is Langston/Hodges. Those scenes were my favorites. And I also liked the ending with Langston practicing his fingerprinting technique.
    I'm still looking for a reason to like Riley, and I really am trying.
    I wonder if the condo mention was alluding to WP keeping his home in LA, and maintaining ties with the show. Sometimes the writers do throw in real life references.
    Just my thoughts.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ooh, good observation. :)

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Besides "For Warrick", "Leave Out All the Rest", and "Young Man with a Horn" this is goes down as one of my favorites from this season.

It felt like a brand new "Pilot" for the show. The scene with Catherine telling Langston to have the Thomas Guide, water, pen/paper and other materials by his bed reminded me of one my favorite episodes from Season 4 "Early Rollout" between Warrick (who is now sadly gone from the show) and Greg, who was once the CSI Level One/Trainee just like Langston.

It was nice seeing the show back at its roots: the forensics. This has always been what the show has been about and in the last few seasons, the show has tended to back away from it a bit, but this season they've gone back towards it and in this episode it seems it has come full circle and they're back where they started and what made this show a hit.

I didn't see Catherine bossy or abrasive, I found her fitting into her new Supervisor job quite well. She's been the Co-Supervisor and now she's stepping into Grissom's shoes. It's not an easy task. I thought Catherine and Langston got along really well, however with Langston and Riley, there was a bit of tenseness towards him, but I can see it because of him acting a bit wrongly towards the Dad.

Overall, great episode. David Weddle and Bradley Thompson did a great job of capturing the characters for their first time writing for the show and I look forward to seeing what they write in the future.

A+

14. iluvgreg80

iluvgreg80 Hit and Run

I liked this episode. I felt bad for Langston having some bad times. If I were him though, I'd rather see the dead, charred body than the live one screaming like he talked about.:(. I do like Langston though and I hope he does well. I thought Nick and Catherine were especially nice to him and that was good to see. :thumbsup:I liked the going out for breakfast scene. The fly thing was gross and funny. Nick has turned out to be a wonderful person and great at his job on the show. The scene with Hodges was funny, but I hope Hodges and Riley get over hating him. I felt bad for Langston when that kid spit on him. I know he was in a bad situation, but that doesn't excuse spitting on people. I hope Dr. Langston has an easier time with his job later on. I thought he was okay to speak up when the Dad hit the son. Riley could have been a little more polite in dealing with Langston though. I think some of the others would speak up also at least sometimes. I wonder if Riley has some underlying issues sometimes. She was nice to the kid, but sometimes her people skills could use help. I liked them all sharing the office.

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

But getting up and leaving wouldn't have shown the venom he felt toward Ray for trying to advise him. Spitting was far more hurtful, which is what he intended, because that's how he felt. And, I think it also made the scene far more effective.

I think it may have been Grissom's copy of the book. As you say, Archie had it out there to try to impress Ray, but then lied when he said he'd read it. I think Ray got that, which is why he patted him on the shoulder and said that Archie was one of the few. He was showing Archie that he really didn't need to be impressed, and it was OK that Archie hadn't read it.