"One To Go" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

It probably the guy working the day shift that he need Nick help with. Do you notice Grissom looked at Nick longer then he did with Greg and other people before he looked at Catherine?

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

So you decided to use your first post, to do what you are accusing others of doing? Probably not the best choice, but thats up to you. But I do suggest as I did further up to another poster to tone it down. And since you are new I also suggest you read the board rules, or the "Help Guide" at the top of this forum.

Let Me Remind Everyone!
    This thread is for discussion of the EPISODE in itself, now I think it best to just move along and get back and keep ON TOPIC of the thread. Thank-you.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Greg was working alone on a computer I think. It kind of ticked me off that everyone else was working with someone and Greg was all alone.

The guy in the garage with Nick at first glance looked like Det. Vega. :lol:

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Just to touch base on this episode and the David Rambo repy 'didn't belong in this thread" I told him how great the whole episode was, and he replied thanking me, and so kaylyne this was the place to post this. due to the fact that it was about this ep. "One To Go" He replied in a polite and courteous manner and thanked me for enjoying the "One To Go" episode. And I told him to thank all the writers who were responsible for the ep. and on the 'majority of fans':confused: not my buddies.. I don't know what you mean by that, some get sick and tired of hearing about other 'ships' who have sunk but they keep on going, so it goes both ways. I was stunned by the majority of fans who never say "congrat. or good job or thank you for sharing". And on another site I'm on, I posted the exact same e-mail and got big compliments for the adminstrator the moderators and all the fans. They don't put up with negative comments, so it doesn't happen. Also I told DR that he was in the running for 'best writer' and invited him to check out our site, and am now rather embarassed that if he did read all these negative comments, I think he would be disgusted. It's just not necessary to be so antagonistic towards a fan who posts something to share with others, and gets put down for this effort. How would you all feel if you got these kind of comments?:( So this response was about this e-mail and the episode.

And a big welcome to you trigger_lady_13 sorry you had to endure all the derogatory remarks, but glad you enjoyed the episode!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I know I'm getting in late on this one, but I kinda wanted to let some of the initial conversation blow over before offering an opinion on all of this. As many of you know, I've kinda been absent for a while, but I really wanted to see this two-parter, and I'm glad that I did. It was so good, my father dedicated the two hours to make sure he was watching and invite me and my husband over for dinner. But, anyway...

The actor playing the serial killer sent such amazing chills down my spine. I think he was one of the best parts of the episode because he was able to speak so calmly about such horrible things while also personifying the beast. It reminded me very much of watching Dennis Raider, the BTK Strangler, talk about all the people he killed in Wichita. He did not seem to show any remorse for their deaths, but also spoke with little emotion. Instead, there was this smug level of detail to everything he described from those horrible murders. I wonder if this actor studied up on serial killer interviews before taking the part, because he really resonated for me.

Going into things, I was not sure what I would think of LF, but I believe they gave him a lot to work with early on. I especially found the instant almost animosity between he and Brass intriguing, because I think that could be beautifully used in episodes to come. I also enjoy that he seemed to have an almost instantaneous bond with Gil. Their last seen together rang of a trueness I can't quite describe except to say it felt like two men talking about the same subject, but from two different ends of the spectrum. One stood there, ready to take on the monsters, to carry the torch for a while as the other looked on from the other side. On his way out, Gil could clearly see potential in Dr. Langston and an enormous amount of conviction to do what is right.

Little things stuck out about Dr. Langston, such as the way he gazed at his wedding ring before removing it when he went to talk to the monster in his den. The simple moment sent so many questions running through my brain, and without several episodes dedicated to every aspect of his life, I found myself caring about him and the reasons he wore a wedding ring yet never mentioned a wife. Right off the bat, with a single shot, I was hooked.

I also loved his approach to getting evidence and trying to trick the killer. Somehow, that just really excited me, though I was fairly sure going in that his method would fail. Sure, you can't do that in every single episode, but it's easy to get comfortable in this little world, and I feel too often the CSI's who join the group don't really bring anything new. Kepler was an exception for me, and I found myself missing him terribly after all was said and done. I can see myself missing Dr. Langston as well.

Everyone had a little moment with Gil, and that was so sweet, and yet so perfect. It's easy to see why the man missed out on all the positivity he brought to his team. He cared about them, sure, but the introvert often missed out on all the little moments of them growing and developing into the people they will eventually become. We will never know what kind of man Warrick may have become, and while Grissom didn't spend his last moments at CSI hugging his group, I think he had his own special moment with each of them.

Admittedly, my two favorite moments were with Nick and Catherine. With Nick, I loved the look of pride on his face during that final walk down the hallway. He had to shake his head at the boy who came in trying to war it out with Warrick to get to CSI Level 3, who got himself into a heap of trouble back in the day by being with the wrong girl at the wrong place at the wrong time. I just loved the little shake of his head to see Nick coming into his own.

The Catherine moment? The wink. Plain and simple. I love how they connected eyes, and though no one else in the building knew it was his final walk, she did. I've always been a fan of their friendship, and it was really wonderful to see her give him that little last gesture, and to see him smile at it. It was just a perfect little last touch.

As for how the case got wrapped up, count me among those who got seriously confused. I kept wondering which guy was going to die next, and who was going to kill who and all that mess. The torture scenes got to be a bit much for me, but I still can't watch "Strip Strangler" all the way through. I have issues with violence against women, so I spent much of the torture scenes with my head buried in my husband's chest. When all was said and done, though, the apprentice was pretty freakin' scary as well. There was some really wonderful, albeit creepy, acting in this one.

I know there's been much debate over the last scene, and I'm just going to offer my interpretation, if that's alright. First, I loved the transition from Grissom walking away from the camera to Grissom walking towards it. At first, he walked in darkness and faded to fuzziness, but as he walked through the jungle, hat upon his head, the view is crisp and filled with life. Gil walks with determination, sweat streaming down his chest, one single bag upon his back. He's left the rest behind.

Once upon a time, Gil Grissom called Sara Sidle to Vegas because he needed help, and she came. This time, he went to her. As he passed along the way, he spotted a bug, and took just a moment to look it over before carrying on. I love that they showed this, because I feel like there are still so many undiscovered forms of wildlife in the world that Gil and entymologist, would have a brilliant time helping find new forms of bug-life. I can imagine it would be very gratifying work for a man who relegated insects to more of a hobby in recent years.

I love that when he spotted Sara, he saw her from behind, and instantly knew it was here. There are select people in my life I know from whatever angle I spot them at, and this meant a lot to me that way. He just knew. He cocks his head to one side, just taking her in. She seems so peaceful in this surrounding, taking a picture of a monkey of some kind, and someone on the YouTube comment section remarked how wonderful it was to see her taking pictures of live things. I agree.

I love how she turned towards him, just like he once turned towards her back in the beginning. She could feel him before she turned around, but to see him there filled her heart. See, I believe her breakup video was the poor attempt of a woman to convince herself and the man who couldn't make up his mind that she was better off without him. So when I watch her take him in, complete shock on her face, I feel him almost shrugging at her saying, "This is it. This is me. Is it enough?" The small smile that touches her lips as her head almost nods gives him all the affirmation he needs, and he sheds that last bit of burden, that one little bag, and goes to her.

Arms outstretched, he pulls her to him, and for once, he's the one making the decisions. She once told him that by the time he figured out what to do about "this" it would be too late. I believe he was worried he was... But he still took the journey. That means so much to me, because I've watched Gil through the years, and watched him develop and grow, and I love knowing that he is off doing something he loves with someone he loves.

It was a wild and crazy ride, but I think Gil had a really brilliant send off with some GORGEOUS music. My husband and I have discussed it several times, and it's almost a cross of Silvestri and Brickman to us. That's the best we can determine, but we still don't know who composed it, and would love to find out.

CSI will never be the same, but after a really wonderful introduction for Dr. Langston (which always makes me think of Langston Hughes since one of my FAV poems in the world is "The Dream Keeper"), I'm thinking I won't give up on the show just because my two favorites are gone.

A really beautiful send-off from this fan's perspective.

6. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Um, no. Other ships are rarely mentioned outside Shipper Central. People (regardless of which pairing they ship) know well to refrain themselves from doing that and try to keep it to a minimum or don't do that at all. Just check out the threads in general LV forum again. GSR is constantly brought up by the same person in the Billy/Grissom and Jorja/Sara threads (and the spoiler and ep discussion threads even when the ship doesn't seem to pertain to the spoilers or the episodes) while in other actor/character threads, the topic stays solely on the subject most of the time. And personally, I don't think David Rambo would feel embarrassed if he comes here and sees the previous posts because people's negative comments weren't directed at him at all but at a few invalid points in a certain post. In fact, a lot of us have expressed our appreciation of him and his work despite not everyone supports the same ship as he does.

And I guess the feeling of being put down is probably just like how we Lady Heather fans felt when we were excited about her returns yet got put down in the episode discussion threads where the episodes did involve her. Yeah. Sh!t happens. That's life.

Now back on the topic...about that last scene...I didn't watch it, thanks to friends who had told me about it before I started watching the episode. But still, I feel happy for Grissom, because obviously he has finally found his own peace and happiness. That's definitely something to be happy with. Clearly I'm no GSR fan, but I'm glad that he finally did something for himself even though he ended up with Sara. :)

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm not sure if anyone read Destiny's post. It was a few posts up from this one.

And Erica was right, rarely is another ship mentioned outside it's thread. Only the GSR fans seem to push the boundaries because they feel their ship is canon and have a right to do so to the right where this poster seemed to run around gloating and showing her e-mails from David Rambo.

FYI: David Rambo has written to many, many fans not just this one person.

I doubt he has time to check out this website or other websites. He's a playright and a television writer.

Getting back on topic, I thought it was funny how Langston told Grissom he'd 'think about it' when offered the job when we know he'll be int he next episode. Hee. That was funny.

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Yes, please.

The music in the final scene was composed by John Keane who scores the original music on CSI. And, I agree, it was beautiful. I have a downloaded version on my computer. If anyone wants it let me know and I will try to send it to them.

9. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Was it? Absolutely gorgeous. Emmy worthy, I'd say. Just beautiful. I have it on my computer as well, but I would love a version without the clicks of the camera, lol! I doubt they'll ever do a CSI Soundtrack, though.

10. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Did anyone notice the little 'hmmph" Langston gave when he looked at Grissom's office? I thought that was hysterical. Who would of thought that someone's office could invoke comments like that...

And on another note, John Keane's music is great. My favorite piece is in WTG kinda at the beginning when they are processing. I love the drums and the beat is just too cool. My two year old granddaughter started dancing to it so I guess it had to be good...

11. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

i just have to say, i loved the connection between One To Go and You Kill Me of S/8 when Hodges was talking to Grissom and said something like "it was her [Sara] time to go" "yes it was" "but it's not yours" "no"
    then in his office when he was saying goodbye so-to-speak, when Grissom said "it's my time to go" Hodges kinda let off on him a bit, i think that was pretty astute and kind of Hodges. i just liked that little connection to previous seasons. :rolleyes:

i like Raymond Langston...he can't compare to grissom, but i think he'll do great and will be a fun asset to the show. :thumbsup:

12. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

NICE! I hadn't even caught that! See, I wish there was this level of continuity every episode! That rocks!

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

Good catch on the continuity. Thanks!

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Can we please move this on from Sara and Grissom? Can we?

15. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Personally, I thought this was just about Gil and the continuity with him and Hodges. In one episode, he said it wasn't his time to go, and this time he said it was. It just seems like a really good catch continuity wise, and besides Hodges starting the conversation with Sara, it has little to do with her. It's all about Gil letting Hodges know his time has come, harkening back to a previous conversation, and that's really cool to me from a writing-standpoint.