What's one thing you wish hadn't happened in CSI?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by dna1009, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

For reference about the ship discussion in this thread: Saying 'I wish so-and-so and so-and-so had/hadn't gotten together/flirted/etc' is fine as long as we don't turn the thread into nothing but talk about that relationship (or any other) that isn't relevant to the topic of the thread itself.

My previous post was referring to comments which seemed to be leading the thread into a different direction (such as 'why do people ship a certain way' or a discussion about sexuality on the show). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that to begin with. Because relationships happen on the show, and because we're all going to form opinions about what we do and don't like about those relationships (as with anything else on the show), it's impossible to keep any mention of them from cropping up in a thread like this.

So, to clarify, 'I wish GSR had never happened', 'I wish Grissom hadn't stayed when Sara left', 'I wish Nick hadn't slept with Kristy in season 1', 'I wish Warrick hadn't gotten married', 'I wish Nick and Greg hadn't flirted', 'I wish Nick and Greg hadn't stopped flirting', etc - that's all relevant to the thread. Questions such as 'why are two characters who aren't shown with women automatically considered gay?' aren't strictly relevant and will, most likely, lead the thread in an off-topic direction. Perhaps I should have waited until the thread did become more off-topic before commenting, but I figured in this case it might be better to nip it in the bud before it started - shipping is a hot button topic for a lot of fans, and serious discussions about it have their place on the board. Also, as mentioned previously, there's a GLBT thread hanging around this forum somewhere in which members could debate sexuality within the show if they wanted to.

So basically: definitely say what you wish hadn't happened, but let's try not to drift too far off-topic in the process. And as always, we're all here to hang out and have fun, so if there's another general CSI topic you think deserves a thread, feel free to get the discussion started so we can all participate. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I wish we hadn't stopped seeing Grissom's tarantula and fetal pig. I really miss those two. They had such personality!:lol: Too bad they didn't have an episode devoted to those guys!

3. lmd2010

lmd2010 Victim

I agree,
    those little things did add to Grissoms character,
    no matter how odd.
    :)

4. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I wish they hadn't killed Michael Keppler in CSI.

I wish Rory (Speed) hadn't left CSI: Miami.

I wish Alexx hadn't left CSI: Miami.

I wish Aiden was still in CSI: NY.

I wish they didn't kill Warrick in CSI.

5. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Only CSI NY:

I wish the Baby plot had never been developed

I really wish they had never written so OOC Mac and Stella

I really wish they could write Mac and Stella's relationship instead of wasting our time with a wanna-be couple only created to please producers

Debbie ;)

6. W95by9YA

W95by9YA Civilian

egregious errors involving firearms

I like most of the cool technical stuff in all 3 series; but it's hard to see how the technical consultants would allow things like:

-a bullet rolls off a table, hits the floor, the primer fires and the bullet zooms up into a ceiling light causing a lab-destroying fire. A firearm's chamber and barrel are required to move the bullet at speed. A cartridge unsupported by a chamber can fire, but the bullet goes nowhere; the cartridge case ruptures at its weakest point and vents the propellant.

-a revolver is fired, thrown over a building, it fires again when it hits the pavement. When a revolver's double-action trigger is pulled, the first action includes the hammer cocking and the cylinder rotating a fresh cartridge into firing position, then the second action (caused by continuing movement of the trigger to the rear) drops the hammer. So when the revolver landed, the fired cartridge would still be under the hammer and there is NO WAY it could fire.

-the "vaporizer" turns bad guys into mist which presumably drifts away leaving only a little blood. No such weapon exists, but let's assume it does. If a 180-pound bad guy is hit with several hundred bullets, 180 pounds of bad guy is still there, even if in tiny pieces scattered all over the warehouse.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  7. Stokes4Me

Stokes4Me Cute but Pshyco Premium Member

I have a difficult time liking her too. She's just sucha know-it-all!

8. odium

odium Civilian

Re: egregious errors involving firearms

yeah as much as i loved the show, that is one thing that really gets me.. the 'over-the-top' scenarios like your examples.

9. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

I wish Speed hadn't died. I wasn't watching at the time this happened but when I watch reruns I really like his character and wish he was still around.

10. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I really only watch New York, so most of mine will be about that...

1. Like a lot of people, i wish Aiden's death had never happened. If the actress wanted to leave, thats fine, but at least leave the door open for a return at least as a guest star...not kill her off the first chance you get. Even if she had to die, they really didn't handle it all that well. Danny's scenes were excellent, especially since we know how close they were, but it seems after the episode its never talked of again. There wasn't even a funeral for her, and like someone mentioned before, the team had gotten together for the funeral in Officer Blue, and even as far back as the first crossover ep with Miami, Danny remarks that he felt Mac needed a guy like him to help with the case of the undercover cop being killed-and all of the officers there on the scene including the CSIs are somber and serious...the fact that they wouldn't behave the same way when their own team member and friend is killed just blows me away...

2. Lindsay Monroe. I really don't see the character as anything more than a filler and a Mary Sue. She started out okay, even though I don't think her character was ever needed-Hawkes was already moving into the field, so there wouldn't be a shortage of CSIs after Aiden left, and she has never brought anything to the show of her own. Her character is written poorly, and even the decent start she had was thrown out the window the minute the writers started forcing her on Danny. It not only ruined any chances her character ever had of being independent, it handicapped Danny's character just to support her.

3. The DL baby...and DL in general. I don't see why it had to be written in at all...they went from not speaking for 8 episodes to being fully together and now pregnant suddenly. It was easy to tell it was added after the other eps were already filmed, and that it wasn't a planned storyline....and it is written so terribly it makes the fanfictions look good. It was written to cover up Belknap's pregnancy, which IMO is a stupid reason to add a life changing storyline for a character. With the DL relationship, its been written like two immature teenagers, and it's annoying and frustrating, especially since the CSINY writers write the friendship and good buddy moments so well, that they are assasinating two of their characters by forcing one to hold up the other in this "relationship."

4. Guest stars. I don't know what it is lately with NY, but almost every episode has a celebrity somewhere in it. Maroon 5 opening a concert? Random famous people to play Mac Taylors? They did so well in previous seasons using actors I'd never heard of, and now are resorting to writing in lame sports or music celebs to attract viewers. I could live with it if they could act....but the majority couldn't act their way out of a paper bag, and its terribly frustrating to watch. Some, like Nelly in recent eps, have done a great job, but simply bringing in someone for two minutes in an episode is a waste of time and frankly a cop out to try to attract viewers.

5. "Lightening" the show....I loved the dark and gritty New York city we saw in S1, and the storylines from not just the rich and famous people. The circus, the Bronx, the dock workers....there are other people and other places in NYC than Manhattan and rich white people. The attempt to lighten the show with glitzy storylines and bright sunny outfits and a new lab annoyed me, because the absence of those things is what attracted me to the show in the first place....

6. The lack of continuity. CSINY likes to bring things up and them completely drop them or forget about them, like Louie being in a coma in the hospital in RSRD and then disappearing after that; the Ruben storyline as of now which seems to be over, regardless of the fact that the death of a child appeared as if it would haunt Danny forever (until of course he found out he was gonna be a daddy, then it was all fine and dandy...ugh); Adam and Danny's injuries being completely healed after Snow Day, as well as Flack's being completely healed as well after Charge of This Post.....infinite amounts of time are not passing in between eps, and its ridiculous that storylines have been dropped and switched so often that they can't go back and revisit or at least explain whats going on. The same goes with character development...Flack, Hawkes, Adam, Sid are I think the only characters whose backgrounds and the way they act have never changed. Lindsay changes every episode, Danny was weighed down by DL and now the baby, Mac and Stella act differently with certain characters (Lindsay) than they do with others...it shouldn't be so hard to stick to the same characters they introduced in s1. Yes, I want to see them grow and change and develop, but not so OOC that I can't believe it.

7. The lack of showing and more telling....lately they've just been telling us whats happened with flashbacks or characters just saying things they've done or said, rather than the characters actually doing those things and building on that. Good writing is showing the audience what the character is feeling and what they care about, rather than simply saying "this character is sad because of this." Coming from professional writers, its sad that they have to resort to filling in the blanks with throwaway explanations.

8. The romances. None of them have been written maturely or believeably for me. Mac/Peyton would have been okay except for the fact that the first glimpse we see of it is Peyton and mac waking up together. No introduction was ever given to her besides that she was Mac's girlfriend, and even after they gave her more time on her own she was still just that to me, because thats what we initially saw her as. DL is a trainwreck, and its obvious that the writers are pushing them together and throwing them everything they can because they are trying to appeal to the DL fan following...its insulting to the many fans who have been watching much longer than DL was a part of the show. The Flack/Angell kiss was hot, I have to say, and I love their chemistry, but the whole kiss was rushed and ridiculous. It was totally out of nowhere, and even if they do say that they had been in a relationship, its another case of telling and not showing...I don't know when the writers got into their heads that every character should be after someone or hooking up with each other, but I really wish they would stop. The best relationships on the show are the friendships, like Danny and Flack, Mac and Stella, or even Danny/Aiden in S1. Danny and Adam have good friendship chemistry, as do Sid and Hawkes....none of these seem to be the focus anymore since the romances became all the rage, and I miss them...

9. Seasons 3-5.....with the exception of a few excellent episodes, I really haven't seen the same show I started watching in 2005 since mid season 2. The show I fell in love with is not the same one I'm watching now, and I'd really like it back...

That was alot longer than I thought it was gonna be :lol:

11. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Can only agree with that. I loved Danny and Aiden working together. They had a great friendship going on and just killing her off without even mentioning her further. That was really poor. It's my opinion anyway that she was killed only because this way she wasn't avaiable for later episodes so people wouldn't realize what they were missing out on with Lindsay!

:thumbsup: I don't think I'll have to add anything to it ;)

That one I've noticed, too. It's like they try so hard to be hip when they don't even have to! The show's set in New York! You don't have to add much to it. It's hip on it's own!

Agreed again! At least the show had some character in the first season. It tried to be different and in a good way. It had character. Now it just seems they try to out-shine Miami. Which is not a good thing!

Don't get me even started on this! That's the worst part of the show and a reason why I'm really considering not watching it anymore! It's like a bad soap opera. The focus on the cases brought me to CSI in the first place and although NY focused a bit more on their private lives it was OK with me. But now? It's just too much overall and the office romance thing just annoys the hell out of me!

:thumbsup: Ditto!

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent post, cSiNyFrEaK30 - you mentioned a lot of things that I wish had never happened on CSI:NY. I started watching the show in season 1, and it feels like a lot of things have changed the show in a negative way since then. There have been good additions (like Sid and Adam), and good episodes, but overall I miss a lot of what made the show what it was in season 1.

I especially agree with this part:

It's nice to see friendship scenes between the characters - it gives us a look at their personal lives, which is what they claim they're going for with this show, but it doesn't reduce everything to A+B=Lurve. We've been lucky enough to get some good scenes with Danny and Flack, as well as Sid and Hawkes and Mac and Stella this season, but I'd like to see more of the other friendships - Danny and Hawkes have an interesting dynamic, as do (as you mentioned) Danny and Adam. I'd like to see more of Mac and Hawkes interacting (heck, Hawkes and anybody interacting on a more personal level is good), Sid and Adam were fun in that one scene last season(?)...The list goes on and on.

So basically - I wish they'd never settled into the pattern that "personal" storylines automatically equals romantic relationships. That happens, sure, but the family dynamic that would develop between a group of cops working so closely together over the years is such a rich source of material that I'm disappointed they haven't utilized it more.

13. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

1. They should have never gone anywhere with the GSR soap opera.

2. They should never have killed off Sam Braun. He was integral to so many storylines. If you notice now, after he's dead, they've come up with stupid and unbelievable mob storylines. At least the ones with Sam were very believable and there would have been so many ways to go with him.

3. They did too many CSI-in-peril storylines - the first few were good, but after Grave Danger, EVERYTHING seemed to be about CSIs (or Brass) getting in life-threatening situations.

14. Greg's hot baby

Greg's hot baby Dead on Arrival

1. Sara's leaving
    2. Warrick's death
    3. Grissom leaving
    4. The one where Greg running over Demitrius James were found excusable, that means that he did something wrong and I don't think that he did anything wrong at all.

Are the things i wish hadn't happend in CSI:LV. Don't look at the other CSI's so can't say anything about them.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I wish the Miniature Crime Scene Killer didn't turn out to be a ploy for GSR.