Grade 'The Triangle'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 10, 2008.

?

How would you grade The Triangle?

1. A+

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. A

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. A-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. B+

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. C-

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I had to give it a C.....minus.

The case itself started out interesting. I'd never heard of the triangle in New York before, so it was a nice and intriguing nod to the fact that "HEY! We're in NYC!!", which has really been missing. Not to mention, the scene with Hawkes, Mac, and Danny on top of the Empire State Building was awesome (that view was making me dizzy just looking at it on tv...and Hawkes is all leaning halfway over the ledge....bad Hawkes, get back, you're giving me a heart attack!!) After we met the ex con and the daughter though, it kind of went downhill for me, and into boring. It lost the intrigue, and its disapointing--it was one of the only cases so far that I've really been interested in.

As for Mac's disappearing, I thought it was odd that no one really seemed to care. "Oh, Mac's gone? Darn. Have you seen him? No? Kthanx." After all the trouble he's been in lately, no one thought to call him? Yeah, Stella mentioned she called him later in the ep....but couldn't they have just shown that? It really annoys me lately that most of what we are being shown is in flashbacks, or told to us by the characters. You need to SHOW, not just TELL, TPTB.....

Continuity wasn't bad, I guess. Bringing up the flashdrive was long overdue, although it seemed crammed into this ep and could have waited to have its own focus later, instead of rushing it. And I loved how Flack's all superstitious again :lol: Reminds me of when he was afraid of the haunted monastery....

And....now onto D/L. As it often does, the storyline interfered with the main case, and took away the time that might have been used to make the case more interesting and captivating. And, as usual, they were annoying and out of place. Last week the two of them were freaking out over the pregnancy, but now they are totally fine? And it takes Lindsay WEEKS to ask about how the chemicals will harm her child? REALLY? The fact that Stella was all "Oh, no, you'll be fine, don't worry" is also annoying. I know that some facts are stretched in tv shows like CSI, but the fact that the chemicals could potentially harm a developing fetus? How can that be overlooked???

Danny's proposal wasn't a shocker, since I read about it in the spoilers, but I still was not thrilled to see it on screen. The fact that he has to get a run down from Lindsay about her family history before he can propose even further demonstrates to me that he doesn't really know her at all, and that his proposal was more for the baby's sake than for hers--and thank goodness Lindsay says no. His confession of love for her later definately doesn't make sense with past episodes, since he (IMO) has shown no more love for her than he has for anyone else (save for the sex, which he's done with Rikki, too), and to me seemed more like him going along with what he thought she wanted to hear.

Either way, the D/L thing is getting more ridiculous by the minute, and its taking away time that could have been used to improve the episode's main case...which is *GASP* what the show is supposed to be ABOUT.

2. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Once again, the D/L scenes dropped my overall grade much lower than it normally would have been: a C-. There were several great scenes in this episode, but for me they were overshadowed by the unpleasantries of the D/L crap. He quizzes her before asking her to marry him???!! :wtf: At least she had the sense to say NO. Absolutely nothing about these two people tells me that they care about eachother romantically now or ever have, at least not from what we've seen onscreen. If I were a first-time viewer, I would have laughed my ass off at the very notion.

Loved that we saw much more of Hawkes, and the scenes between Adam and Lindsay were very good, I thought. Same with the scenes with Mac, Hawkes and Danny on the skyscraper, good stuff, I wish we had more of that. And Flack, you are one of my Heroes. 'Nuff said. I thought it was rather disjointed, the scene with Mac disappearing, but it looks like we'll have something coming up down the line, Kudos to the Continuity Fairies!!! Glad that the writers didn't have Stella be obtuse enough to not figure out what Lindsay was talking about. A "friend" gets pregnant? Gimme a break... :rolleyes:

I'll have to watch this one another time to comment properly on the rest of the storyline, since the D/L soap overshadowed the remainder of it for me, for the most part. Sad, that. :(

3. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

This episode was just okay. Nothing really great.

Flack was in fine form as usual. What a smart mouth. Loved the whole Bermuda Triangle, urban legend exchange he had with Stella.

A big nod to the PTB for the continuity with the flash drive story line. I'm really intrigued with how the story will unravel in future episodes.

As for the unresolved ending with Jamie Sunderland getting away, I hope we'll see more of this story line in the future.

As for the whole DL stuff, watching all that was really excruciatingly painful. And the whole Lindsey thing asking Stella for advice for a friend? What bull was that? Anna Belknap couldn't pull off that scene. She was so awkward and so unnatural.

4. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I haven't seem the episode yet, just popped in here to see how the proposal went. And now I am mad. It's OK for pregnant women to work inthe lab is it? No, No, No - and I say that as a PhD chemist with 9 years working in a chemistry lab! Neither academic or industrial labs allow pregnant women to work in the lab, the risks are just too high. And as for shields and fumehoods, you should be using them anyway (saying that I've never actually seen a proper full fumehood in the show, which is another per peeve of mine). It is not just about how safe you work and what chemicals you use, there are other people working in the lab and you can't control what they are doing. Accidents/spillages can and in the lab frequently do happen. The vast majority of chemicals you encounter in lab have the potential to cause deformaties in an unborn child - what sort of mother would take that risk? what sort of employer would ask her to?

I'll calm down now, as I know it is only a TV show.

5. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

this ep was okay, but mosdef better than last last week's.

- danny and lindsay were better in this ep. their scenes weren't draining and a pain to watch.. well, except for the "proposal", that was weird. but i did find the last scene genuine and sweet. haha. they haven't had a scene since forever where there was no dark cloud over them or something. mac looked like a proud father after their announcement, and his hugs were really nice. haha.

- flash drive thing is back. very interesting. definitely a storyline to watch.

- oh yeah, the lindsay "friend" scene. haha. so cliche. everyone knows that when you ask an advice "for a friend", it's obviously for you. haha.

- hawkes.. hot damn. nice. hahahahaha. adam had lots of screen time, yess. haha.

- flack looks extra good this ep imo. or is it just me? haha.

- preview: ella's stalking mac? crazy. was it mac kicking the door of a room? if it was, i think the room he crashes into is ella's and it has a shrine for him or something. LOL. well lots of stuff happening next ep. hopefully we won't be disappointed.

6. andunesilme

andunesilme Lost in the parking lot

Hmm. Now that I have read all these previous posts I gotta ask what stalker? I didn't see any.. Or hear. Or maybe I was so concentraded to the case itself that for the first time I didn't actually notice any other scenes. Must watch the ep again. :lol:

I gave this ep an B+. All the Lindsay/Danny scenes brought it down, seriously. I didn't even wanna see any of them, tried to do something else when they showed their conversations. Tacky. I didn't like at all. :D And other thing that is bugging me is continuity of the show. In the last seasons I was totally amazed how well the writers wrote eps that followed up with the tagline 'Everything is connected'. Now it feels like 'Don't expect to see anything connecting to something else' or 'Nothing is connected' :rolleyes: C'mon these eps in season 5 so far have been totally waste of my time, I wan't to think the eps afterwards and wonder what everything means (I mean, after ep I wanna think 'was some conversation connected to another from past eps, or did it mean that something will happen in the future'). I'm still waiting for 'the great' ep for this season. Usually TPTB have already given us one or two of them at this point, but..

Okay, back to the subject. Luv when Adam has scenes with somebody else than Stella :D I don't actually wanna see anything related to this adam's crush anymore. It's getting really old. So this ep was a positive surprise. And we saw Hawkes more! YAY. I always like seeing Sheldon. Haha. The case itself had a lot of potential, but the microwave gun or whatever was soo lame. It may be some new experiment, but I don't get it. Even if one is working at the lab that does new experiments, how is it possible to sneak a gun that size out of there? It can cause pretty bad damage to electronics at the city when it gets to wrong hands. The Bermuda Triangle? YAY, sounded promising, but came out lame. Again, the same gun-reason. Awwie, Mac, Hawkes and Danno at the Empire State Building. :drool: I was feeling dizzy for the view only, I wish I never have to go there :D I like flying, but that was just too high to be on the ground.

What else? Ah, the Satan's Ring (or what it was called..). Nice! :drool: I wonder why the man who created it didn't sell it to other criminals? He could've made a lot of money, me thinks. And I think he isn't that fond of the police, so by selling those things to others, he could've made a one really big mess that officers try to control. The ring would make things easier with the breaking-in-to-banks.. :D And instead of that he gets his daughter to steal some money. :wtf: Wasn't that the plot? or did the daughter herself make this plan up? However. Btw, she was just empty character. One line in the whole ep maybe? And the tanning was awful, along with the blonde hair, and 'future at the science job'. My brains just can't handle this information at once. :wtf::wtf: Hey, I'm I only imagining or do they find the perp faster than before? The first suspect has at least something to do with the case, boring! Now there's just one suspect and all of them hit the right answer already in the beginning. No good interrogation scenes anymore (oh sorry, was there one. With the junior driver. But such a boring one :shifty:).

This ep was good, kinda. Better than last few ones, though. Now we're again going back to the right direction, not backwards anymore. :thumbsup: I just wish we could go back to the end of season 4 and start over with s5. Oh, and this eppy included some funny moments! I enjoyed those. I've come to expect much more Mac in eps, but maybe this season is all about DL and the baby... at least these few past eps have been. Me not liking. :scream:

7. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

I don't know if it's just me or is that episode lame? Sure, the whole Bermuda Triangle thing was pretty cool and even the microwave blaster thingummy was techy and cutting edge BUT the whole story just did not work.

There wasn't much speculation on who the suspect could be since they, after all, had zeroed in on the ex-con. His daughter's involvement inevitably proves that the fruit does not fall from the tree. And how crappy that tree could be. :shifty: The tantoo thing was icky as well. I would've appreciated it had it not been on her breast and then they zoom in on it for emphasis. Thank you very much you can keep that to yourself. After I saw the whole montage of her fleeing luxuriously away, my mind zapped and I literally blurted out a major "WTF?!" So maybe it shows that not all criminals are apprehended but still, they could've done something better than that.

Danny and Lindsay are at it again from the looks of it. The random "Marry me" question didn't sit well with me along with the "Just so you know, I love you" banter. Scene saver was the Mac Daddy hug. I liked Lindsay for a bit in this episode but disliked her during the chemical usage part. Her "friend of a friend" excuse was lame and Stella should've seen right through it. But I guess they chose not to make Stella the smart one in that part.

Mac being under investigation by the FBI. Well, I don't want to sound like a stickshift up anybody's ass but Can you please give other people in the cast these troubles?! I like Mac, he's like the patriarch in the cast but I'm kind of getting tired that he's always the one they're after or are gunning for all the time.

Major points go to TPTB for giving more time to Hawkes. And as usual, I have no complaints about Flack in this epsisode. The man is holding his own right there(Danny, get a clue). At least, with Hawkes and Flack, this episode got saved from being given an F.

D-

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

IMO Stella did know Linday was talking about herself and Danny. She just knew Lindsay obviously didn't want to talk about it so she played along with the whole "I have a friend" stupidity.

9. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I liked the episode.
    It wasn`t one of the best but I have seen worse on telly.
    The D/L scenes made me laugh a little cause while they were ridicilous,they also had something funny and sweet.
    It`s obvious that they don`t know each other that well and that Danny only is there because she is pregnant and he wants to do the right thing.

As for the I have a friend who is pregnant speech,well it happens more then often,so I was not bothered by that.
    I actually thought Stella`s reaction was spot on but I do kinda hope we see her bringing it up to Lindsay once she officially knows she is pregnant.

What did dissapoint me a little was the scene when they told Mac Lindsay is pregnant.
    I don`t know why,to be honest but I just didn`t like it much

10. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

I admit, maybe I underestimated Stella in this one. I'm sorry. :) But I do hope they would tell her soon enough and then she'd tell them she knew it beforehand. It could be so much easier anyway if she just said she was pregnant right off the bat. But they had to let Mac know first thus not being able to tell Stella.

11. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Interesting character moments, but the plot was very boring and a little "gimmicky."

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

B

While I enjoyed the episode, I didn't feel a lot of suspense in the case, and wasn't particularly invested in it one way or another. The microwave thing was cool, the triangle thing kind of cool...but I felt like there weren't a lot of twists and turns save for the red herring of Greg Hufheinz, and he wasn't much of a red herring. I believed him, too. :p

The Danny and Lindsay stuff felt more or less natural--of course he's going to propose after she tells him she's pregnant because he's a good guy. In Danny's mind, I'm sure it's that simple: you knock a girl up, you'd better marry her. I kind of think he was going to do it over the phone before his reception cut out. :lol: And only Danny would open a proposal by asking about hereditary diseases and mental illness. Danny is such a goon. :lol:

I had the same problem with Lindsay walking away that I always do--it's immature and frankly selfish. If someone clearly wants to talk to you and has a legitimate reason for doing so, walking away from him, especially after you've just shot down his proposal of marriage, is obnoxious.

I did like their talk right before they went to tell Mac, and felt what Lindsay was saying made a lot of sense. He shouldn't have had to ask her for that explanation, though. ;) The "I love yous" felt out of place; we know she's at that point, but I don't buy that Danny is yet...it would have felt much more natural and more rewarding to have the season build up to that.

The FBI stuff is interesting, but a bit on the cliched side. What's Mac gonna do with the hard drive? Surely this isn't the first time he's had access to sensitive material? :rolleyes: Suspecting Hawkes would be much more interesting and make for a richer storyline...and give Hill something to do! Please, give Hill something to do because he's awesome. :p

13. RearWindow

RearWindow Victim

I didn't get the feeling that he's "in love" with her, but loves her in a sense that he'll take care of her and the baby. He put his hands on her arms when he told her which says a lot. This Danny is definitely not the same Danny from Snow Day. He seems incredibly uninterested in Lindsay.

The lab really needs to find a more secure place for things like drugs and flash drives. Their vault has been broken into and now the evidence room isn't safe.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That was kind of how I took it, too...he loves her because he's an affectionate person and obviously cares deeply for her. He doesn't act like someone who is in love with her--in fact, his line of questioning suggested he's still trying to get to know her. Danny definitely doesn't feel comfortable yet, but I think holding off on the L word for now would have been wise, if just to give it more impact later on down the road.

No kidding! NYPD, not so secure, that's for sure. :eek:

15. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

In reference to my earlier rant about the chemicals, now that I've seen the episode it's even worse. Methanol!! Of all the chemicals she is nervous about using methanol. Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of chemicals know methanol isn't a teratogen, drink enough of it and you'll go blind but it won't harm an unborn baby. It's like the lamest chemical, they could have at least used DMF - a very common solvent and known teratogen.

Also, am I the only person that thought it was strange that the guy had put his daughter in his phone using her full name? Surely he would just put Jamie or whatever her name was.