What's Your Blood Type?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Mar 3, 2006.

1. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I get a text message every 3 months to go donate. I didn't go last time because I had an oral exam the day after. Seeing I always feel a little weak after I donate, I wasn't gonna take the risk.

Here, donating blood is also a service from the Red Cross. They move around and pretty much every city has them in the local school, gym etc. every 3 months.

2 times a year, the university of Ghent organizes 'Bloodserious' ( 'Bloedserieus' for the dutchies among us). It's to encourage students to donate. You get a bag full of goodies, cookies, cola... There are even 'professional huggers' to comfort you if it's your first time donating. :D
    It's really fun and there's also loads of people responding to it, which is a good evolution, I guess.

2. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

I have 0 negative. ^^ They call me every month to donate (since I did once), but every time I want to they won't let me bc I've been on antibiotics or something.

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

How come they call you every month because you cannot donate every month? Because break between donations in minimum are 60days for men and 90days for women

Ah, since August Blood Service has start to give out iron, especially to women between 18-50 and to women and men whose last donation was less than 4 months ago. I got 30 capsules :D

4. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

Do you get money for a donation?

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Nope, at least not here and it's a good thing, it prevents that those people, who are riskgroups (such as drug-users) don't come to donate

I don't see why you should get money for that

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm B+. I haven't ever donated blood. When I tried to before, the technicians told me I was underweight, so they didn't allow me to donate. I still haven't tried again since I weigh even less than when they told me I couldn't donate. Besides, I'm a fainter. :lol:

7. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

I heard some stations in Germany pay €30 (incl. expense allowance)
    which is a 'lot' actually

8. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I don't know, that's quite scary!!

9. Billy

Billy Hit and Run

I donate in Germany regulary, but I never got any money.

10. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Yeah, seems odd to have to pay the donor. Heard that in France (particularly in provincial parts) there's almost always a jolly good slug of wine and decent grub after the donation. Capital idea this! :)

I'm O- too and have also been asked numerous times to donate but I can't as I have Thalassemia Trait/Minor (docs still can't quite make up their minds) so I wouldn't be able to make it pass the screening.

11. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Because I don't donate every month. I've only done it once and they just keep calling in hopes that I'll do it again. I'll get around to it.

Edit: Just read the posts above. I'm in the US, so that's how it is here. I don't know how it is across the pond.

teehee...jolly good.

About the money: You get money if you go to the center and donate blood or plasma, but not if it's for a blood drive in your school or work or something.

12. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I didn't think you got money here (in the UK?) but then again, how am I to know, i don't even know my own blood type! I think I'm A (I'm one, my brother's the other, we never know who's who!!)

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Nope I dont think you get money here either but I could be wrong lol.

It sounds like donating is promoted more in the US by the sounds of it, but like before I could be wrong :lol:

14. Billy

Billy Hit and Run

I have A positive, nothing special.

15. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Yeah, I don't know what it is over in Europe, I've never even been there, haha!

But here (if you go to the center) they give you a little card when your done and you go to this ATM machine thing to get your money. However, if you want to donate and not get money, you can do that too.