Petersen, Fox, Dourdan Leave, Larry Fishburne In *No Spoilers* Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Petersen leaves CSI for good

This is the most in-depth article that I've read so far on his departure! and on his "new contract" apparently their was a clause hidden in it, about him leaving, he's a sly fox, and a shrewd dude, upon only revealing what he wants to at this time! helping Grissom through the crisis will be his true love Sara, played by Fox who is returning for multiple episodes I knew when it said "she inked a deal" it was for more than one!

ARTICLE
This was the first article to reveal his departure, Desertwind ;)

I'm torn between two feelings. I love so much Grissom, that I felt sad that he was not as involved as in the earlier seasons, where almost everything revolved around his character. What I like in this show is Grissom himself, (the quirkiness of his character, his depth etc) and the connection between Grissom and the other characters, the lack of interaction and to see him only for 3 or 4 minutes, always frustrated me, it was not substantial enough, he deserves better.

But I'm torn because I thought that sometimes in post-strik episodes, it reminded me of the earlier season, and I was hoping things could be better soon.

I don't think that his departure will damage ratings because as someone said in this thread (sorry I don't remember who) "he is not so central to the show" in the last seasons.

Last edited:

I hate the fact that WP is leaving CSI. I can't remember who but I agree with the people that said Catherine should take over as shift supervisor. She's my fave character after Griss, plus she has the experience. I think the show may go downhill if they try and bring someone else in to replace Grissom.
Also if I had my way, Sara would stay gone and GSR would die a quick death (sorry if that causes offense but I can't stand it)
CSIL3Willows
-x-

Re: Who Will Fill Grissoms Position???

It's nice to see that at least a couple of people agree with me in thinking Nicholas Campbell from Davinci's Inquest would be a good choice. I think he strikes the perfect balance between getting an established TV series veteran, and a former a-list celebrity that would overshadow the rest of the cast.

He's very well known in Canada but has mostly done only TV movies and guest roles on American TV. He's got a Shakesperean background, and has played just about every type of role that you could think of, from Westerns to sci-fi, to bizarre independent movies.

Here's a look at his credits for anyone who's interested.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0132757/

I'm almost tempted to find Carol Mendelshon's contact info and start lobbying for the guy to at least be given an audition.

Look him up in google images. I think he's even got the perfect 'look' for a new CSI leading man.

It's nice to see that at least a couple of people agree with me in thinking Nicholas Campbell from Davinci's Inquest would be a good choice. I think he strikes the perfect balance between getting an established TV series veteran, and a former a-list celebrity that would overshadow the rest of the cast.
Another inspired choice! Campbell starred in a Da Vinci movie that just aired on CBC in June, and he was wonderful! I agree that he'd be ideal . . . and it would be an interesting way for him to come full circle, since I've always believed that "Da Vinci's Inquest" served as an inspiration for "CSI."

Can we get a petition going?

Here's a little more about the character that might eventually become the boss from TVGuide.

At Friday's executive session, Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment, announced a new character on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

Tassler's description of the character, who will replace the departing William Petersen, was interesting, to say the least. He's a doctor and scientist who comes into the CSI as an outsider; he won't start off as the boss. Here's the catch: He's a bit of a DNA expert, and has identified a common profile among serial killers — in his own genes! Sounds a little Dextery, no?

So, who do you think should play Dr. McSerialKiller? Tassler suggested they'd be looking for an actor of some stature to fill the role. My first thoughts: Oscar nominees Laurence Fishburne and David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck), both of whom can convey steely resolve and menace with equal skill. — Mickey O'Connor

Reminds me a little of a fanfic I'm reading.

MaxPointy, I applaud your inspired suggestion of the brilliant actor Nicholas Campbell! I loved Da Vinci's Inquest & still dvr the reruns every Saturday night (and I've nearly worn out my S1 dvd set :lol: ). And I agree with what Byline said, I too think it served as a major inspiration for CSI (heck, DV's Inquest even had the Lady Heather character first, except she was "Mistress Harriet", LOL). Campbell is a superb choice IMO, hands down.

I like the idea of William C Macy too, but I doubt it would ever happen. Same with Kevin Spacey, great choice, but it'll never happen. Although a girl can dream. :) I like Chi McBride, too, and Scott Bakula is also a pretty darn good suggestion.

All things considered though, I'm loving the idea of Nick Campbell. :thumbsup: Hey CBS and Carol M., are ya listening? ;)

I like the suggestion from TV Guide of David Strathairn. He was in the George Clooney movie Good Night and Good Luck playing Edward R. Murrow. And he was also in The Bourne Ultimatum...fantastic. He's not a A-list name but still a great actor.

I've had a few days to think about it and I'm kind of sorry to admit, but I'm a little ticked with Billy for leaving, but I'm quite angry with the writers. I don't see why he couldn't have stayed on part-time through out the duration of the show.

Given what i have read online, most people are saying that they not watchign the show.

Had the writers done a better show of equalizing screen time for the other characters and developed them fully and not given so much attention to Grissom, then perhaps the impact of his departure would not be so severe.
They've lost three characters in a year.

The show willl not see the success it has been over the past nine years and while it was a great run for it, it was a show filled with problems galore with vying storylines and little character development.

So I hope future CSI creators learn from this-a. dont' centre your show around a charcter so much if you have other characters that should be developeod-this was not House!!

So BP, good luck. To the writers-I hope your learned your lessons-next time you create an ensemble cast-make it an ensemble cast!!!

Don't see why he should have stayed on for the heck of it. Rather he left now, than stay and not be fully into it. The man has given his all to this show for years.

All these shows have a leading man/lady, that the show focuses on, irony is - CSI was more of an ensemble that most others, thanks to Billy Petersen. It's him that brought that side of things into the show. Compare CSI of recent years to the other CSI's (especially Miami), and to other crime shows - Grissom didn't command the sort of screen time most leading characters do.

Another inspired choice! Campbell starred in a Da Vinci movie that just aired on CBC in June, and he was wonderful! I agree that he'd be ideal . . . and it would be an interesting way for him to come full circle, since I've always believed that "Da Vinci's Inquest" served as an inspiration for "CSI."

Can we get a petition going?

I'm new at this level of obsessive geekish behavior - which for a life-long trekkie is really saying something.

How would we go about contacting the producers with our "recommendation?"

Anyone who has any doubts can look the show up on youtube. You won't be disappointed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJbDHDg8-I4

That link will give you a good idea of the tone of that show and Campbell's acting style.

Last edited:

Who knows. This might be a great opportunity to reinvigorate the show. I've thought for some time that the show needed some new blood to drive some new storylines.

I'm probably in a tiny minority here, but I actually got back into the X-Files when Robert Patrick was brought in the replace David Duchovny, and I especially loved the interaction between Scully and Doggett.

It might be fun to see some new CSIs show up for work and wonder "What the hell did I sign up for?"

I have to agree with all of the above. Having the same characters all the time isn't always such a good idea. Look at Law and Order: Criminal Intent. It's better now that they have more characters, instead of just Goren and Eames. And I also liked the X-Files better when they brought in the other characters. It gives the shows a different persective, a different POV from new people. So I don't really get why people are saying they won't watch the show anymore just because a few characters leave. So what? :confused:

I'm upset a bit that he's leaving, although I do understand it. What I don't understand is why it can't be done more gradually. Let him ease his way out over the course of a whole season, not just ten episodes.

I agree that CSI does have a good ensemble cast, but Billy Petersen is the anchor, the one who makes it. Without him, or someone who has a similarly strong and quirky personality, I don't see the show making it. I'm not going to stop watching, especially as I want to se how they'll do it, and where they take it. As I've said before, Only time will tell.

If the tenth episode is his last as a full time cast member, then they've got a lot to wrap up in that short of a time period. It almost seems as though they're going to throw everything but the kitchen sink into it. Sara, Lady Heather, Natalie the Miniature Killer, etc.

I personally think that they should do the arc over a whole season. Granted, a lot of things were chopped because of the writers' strike, and I've seen this coming for awhile, I just didn't think he'd do it so soon and in this manner. I just hope they do it in a manner that's not rushed and true to the character of Grissom, that's Petersen and TPTB have been so carefully crafting for eight years.

I'm probably in a tiny minority here, but I actually got back into the X-Files when Robert Patrick was brought in the replace David Duchovny, and I especially loved the interaction between Scully and Doggett.

me too, i never liked DD all that much, and he was arrogant about filming in Vancouver.

helping Grissom through the crisis will be his true love Sara, played by Fox who is returning for multiple episodes

WP complaining about losing the quality of Vegas, yet he approves of that crap? He is just in it for the money, if he wanted to do theater, don't do a tv show. I wanted him to leave for good, now we can't have a cross-over with other CSI shows, cause he has to have control over the show. He has made some really bad mistakes with the show in the last couple of seasons, i wanted him to leave for good.

And the quality of the spin offs have been WAY better than the last 2 seasons of Vegas. And you can't blame them for Vegas going down the tube, since season 5 was the best, and both were running at that time.

OMG!!!!! It's been ages since I've been in here. I can't believe WP is leaving. To me the show will go down the tubes afterwards, I for one will no longer watch it. More so if Catherine takes over. LOL I didn't watch it when Keppler was on there. To me WP is CSI:LV. I miss Sara cause of the Gris/Sara romance & Warrick will be missed but Grissom is the heart of the show. He's kept it altogether. When the teams were separated it stunk. LOL I for one will miss him.

Okay, I like Nicolas Campbell as first choice, but David Strathairn is a close second. I think either one could easily fit into the CSI ensemble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back