This "Spoiler Lab" Is *CLOSED For Good*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

Re: Season 9 *Spoiler Lab* Discussions

Well, before Destiny takes out her key, I'd like to comment on the latest spoilers for Scales: Great timing, Lindsey. :)

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I agree that this thread should be locked. The bickering and in fighting will only continue if this is left without anything to go on.

Pabzi is right as well, less and less people are coming in to read anything because anything that is posted is always about certian characters and certian relationships. Now I understand if that is the only thing released, but it still sucks for the rest of us. Plus reading pages of fighting and shots to others can only be tolerated for so long.

To be fair to all I think locking is the best way to go, the mod can open it, post the info and then lock again; if need be.

3. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

thou shall not say anything bad about GSR! Oh come on, did everyone lose their sense of humour? There probably won't be spoilers for awhile, so really there shouldn't be much posting in here anyways.

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have thought for a while the thread should be locked actually. not because of the bickering (i dont think its that bad) but because there are no spoilers there really is nothing to talk about. some people are saying the same things over and over, and posting the same news over and over.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

This might be long, sit back and prepare to read. ;)

Sorry folks the lock down is not something we like to do we mention it so that you know what could happen. But that will not solve the problem that is going on in here, it would still be there and more then likely just come back and restart all over again. - There can be many reasons why some people have stopped coming in here, they range from wanting to try and go spoiler free, to lack of spoilers, going outside (you know that big world where there is no computer screen lol), to the arguing. - It is also true that if all you come in here to do is make snarky/sarcastic comments, and not really adding to the conversation then its time for those to take a step back and find out why. As it is for those who respond to those comments, why do you allow yourselves to be baited? Why do you feel the need to defend spoilers or fictional characters? Let me try to answer this for you if I may, You make snarky comments because you want to make a point. You respond and defend, because it is second nature to do so. It might be second nature, it might be to make a point, but its really not necessary.

But locking this down right now would only delay the problems that are going on in here. We posted the rules on the first page/post of this thread for a reason, and it was locked long enough for you all to get familiar with them. In one of those rules it states/asks not to let one subject dominate the thread, this thread is for ALL the characters as they pertain to the episodes at hand. again I will add that while it comes to Sara returning doesn't mean there will be a GSR moment, it doesn't mean it won't. But her returning, and that moment should NOT dominate this thread. We also ask in those rules, that if you find spoilers on any character along with your fav to share it, this helps to keep the balance, as you are helping those who love your favorite character and thanks from those who like another character that you shared info about.- Another question for you, when you watch the show do you just only see the one favorite character, or do you watch the whole show (all characters included)? I have read about this character and that character not getting screen time, or this or that character getting to much, or just spoilers for this character only, or that character only. Not hearing much thought on the story of the episode itself.

In closing, as I said locking down is the next to the last resort, but do any of you truely believe it would solve the problem in the long run, a temp reprieve from the situation is just that. So here is what I suggest, if you feel you are being baited, there is an ignore feature you can use for that poster, if you don't want to use that feature then the next best thing when you see a bait and feel yourself ready to snap back, sit back, take a few breaths and ask yourself is this person really worth my time to respond to? IMO their not, I would just move on. If you feel yes remember their are board rules in place not just for the responders but the baiting to. I also suggest reading the rules of this thread again, just as a reminder. And remember that we ALL have to share this thread, and that is the keyword "Share" no one character should dominate, no one is saying you can't talk about your fav we are asking that if you do include other characters, and for a repeated time if you want to talk about a ship in general sense there is a forum for that and its not here.

I will not at this time lock it down, if either myself or TallyHo decide to, you will find it that way with a reason why it was done. Also note that if you are unsure you can hit the NM button, or Pm us for clairification. Now I will leave you all to ponder what I have just said (the whole post) and let you figure it out for yourselves. We will also move this back on topic of "Spoiler discussions" remember there is more to it then just the characters. ;)

6. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

I liked that Destiny, I'm not being sarcastic. Long ago and far away (By far away, I'm not kidding, I lived halfway across the world), I made a thread, asking why everyone watches. I was upset with bickering at the time, and I wanted to see how many people watch for the interesting plots, the science, and the multiple characters that make up the show. There were quite a few good replies, but there were a few...well, I'm not causing trouble now, I'm tired. Destiny, would you possibly be able to bring up that thread and the age thread? It might not solve problems, but it could give people what to do while there are no spoilers. Maybe the Trivia Game too, let's try to have fun...well, I still won't be around as much as I used to be, this used to be like my second home, sadly, I no longer feel welcome. It used to be about...hmm 65/35 adults to young people, but now it seems like 20/80. (Destiny, what do you think the numbers are/were?) I have friends, friends who I met here and my life would not be the same without them, who left the board because they just got sick of the squeeling, fighting and one characterness.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  7. byline

byline CSI Level One

I haven't read the entire thread, but I have a feeling I know which character is being targeted. Seen it all before on another discussion forum. On that particular one, the vitriol against that one particular character/actor turned me off to such a degree that for the most part I stopped visiting the site altogether. It was just too much constant ganging up on one character/actor, and I felt like I was constantly forced into a position of having to defend the fact that I like that character/actor. I still do visit on occasion, and even post every now and then, but life's just too short to get worked up like that. Besides, I want to read/post about the show in general without continually rehashing this same topic over and over again.

8. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ Then maybe you need to read the thread first. At least from what I have seen, the problem wasn't so much the so-called "vitriol" against said character but how spoilers and links about the character/actor were posted repetitively despite people had already pointed out that those contents were old and that they were tired by same things getting posted almost on a daily basis and in fact, not just in this thread. IMO it is fine if you like something and feel like sharing it, but posting it and praising it as if it were some kind of gospel repetitively is shoving it down people's throat and you really can't blame others for being annoyed.

I appreciate your concern, Destiny, but still, if we're allowed to express how we think this thread could be handled at the moment, I vote for locking it down temporarily. I don't think it will solve the problem. In fact, I don't think the problem will be solved as long as certain people keep posting, but at least everyone gets to cool down for a while.

I'd also like to remind people that you can set up your own ignore lists. Comes in quite handy at times like this. :)

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

Having read the thread in its entirety now, I see your point, but I also see that it didn't take long for the vitriol to get started (page 3, by my count). When posted repeatedly, that's the stuff I tire of quite quickly because rather than simply expressing an opinion, it comes across to me like an attempt to proselytize.

While I understand feeling irritated at redundancy, I've seen that so much in various online discussion forums that IMO, it just goes with the territory, and I can skim over it quite easily. I've done it myself, mainly because I haven't read every post in every thread, so there's always that risk of repeating what someone else has already said.

10. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ Thank you for taking the time reading the thread and understanding where my point is, and I do agree on your last point. It's just that in my opinion, it's a little different in this thread. I am going to explain it to you in a pm. :)

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

I disagree. It looks to me like the cast is grouped as follows:

Stars (Billy and Marg)
    CSIs (listed alphabetically)
    Lab personnel (Doc Robbins first, followed by SuperDave)
    Police (Brass)

"Law & Order" follows a similar grouping system.

12. Destiny

pabzi, The thread that you mentioned on why people watch the show must have went with the cleanup, but since its been awhile and with all the new folks, I would recommend that you restart the thread again. As to the age thread I found one its the only one I could find that wasn't apart of the cleanup and I boosted it up. As to game threads, I am pretty sure there are a few around. Some were closed due to the age of the last date.
    I at this point don't have a ratio of the ages, but again there could be many reasons why they are not here. I am sorry you feel your not welcome here, you are when you feel ready to return.

EricaSJ, Your request like many others has been noted, I agree that it could cool it down for a while. This is just one reason why I hestated on even creating this thread this early to begin with. But at the time folks said spoilers were coming out, so there would be alot to discuss. So in the end it comes down to that with everything thats happened, this thread will probably be closed down for good. Then a new one will be put up starting all over again, why should people have to dig through the bickering and such to find the spoilers.

Further more, I will talk with TallyHo and see what we can come up with in the mean time, to see what we can figure out. Maybe a thread centered around the spoilers, it would be basically a post to store spoilers so that when the time for the "spoiler lab" reopens, we can bring them over and put them in. something of a library of spoilers if you will. Then go from there, I have no idea yet what we will do but we will do something.

So in saying that, I am going to go ahead and close this thread down, it is just too far off topic and out of wack to get back into it all. Hopefully this will in the end help others to chill out. I am just sorry it had to come to this. (for those unsure of what is going on above I wrote a long post explaining things).

LOCKED DOWN

13. Destiny

While this post might seem long, I SUGGEST/RECOMMEND that people read it in whole.

Okay this thread Will NOT be reopened, there would be to much to wade through (ie the bickering and snide remarks) therefore it will remained closed and will be released from the tack within 24 hrs. As to when the next time the Lab will open, well now we don't know for sure. - What gets me this didn't have to happen. There are several being punished by doing this all because people couldn't help themselves, they either had to make the sarcastic comments or they had to allow themselves to be baited into the arguments. Honestly this is all Bull and locking it down because of it will NOT solve the problem, but rather delay it. But I do hope those few learn from this and realize that its not going to be tolerated any further.

Recently it was brought up how many people have stopped really coming into the lab and I thought it was because of possible good weather, limited spoilers, going spoiler free, but it turned out alot of them did stop for those reasons but more over because of the bickering/arguing, and un-necessary comments, the domination of one character no matter how hard others try to include others. The reason it took so long to lock it, we were giving all of you a chance to straighten it out, apparently something that couldn't be or didn't want to be done. - The rules in this thread were set up for a reason, we knew it wouldn't do away with all the problems, but we hoped it would limit the amount, but apparently they were being ignored. We tried to nicely minimize the arguing in the thread, and put it back on course to no avail as we were ignored.

One thing I can let you all know when we do another thread, it will be closely watched, and the rules will be enforced, we will intervene more, and as for locking down it could happen, if you have a problem with each other deal with it (preferrably in private). The rules of both the thread and the board will be enforced alot more then they have in the past. Lets remember that you are all old enough to know better, but if you just don't then maybe its better that you don't come in here.

We don't want to force people out, this thread like all the others are open to everyone, it is not ONE character based but rather MULTI character based, healthly respectful debates are one thing, snide/sarcastic comments are another. Remember the rule of thumb if you can not agree, then agree to disagree and move on. also if you see someone trying to bait people click the NM (Notify Mod) button or PM us about it, do NOT engage in it, all that will happen if you do is that person and you will be in trouble.

We also get that everyone has their favorite character, so you only look for spoilers on them, but you are asked if you find one about your fav that includes one about other characters to share the info about the other characters. I know alot of people are split on the whole "ship" thing, well the rule is if the ship is part of the episode it can be discussed (but make sure it is, not just surmise it), if the ship is not apart of the episode then discussion about it should be taken to its respective forum/threads, if you want to debate the ship, there is a thread for it in the shipper forum for that, this is NOT the place for it. - While these threads are based on speculation, and are subject to change, lets remember also that while everyone is entitled to their opinion, and disagree, what your not entitled to do is attack people for having those opinion.

With all that said, hopefully those few who decided it would be cute to do what they should have had second thoughts about, and those who just couldn't help but jump in learn to step back and breath before responding. To those who were not involved but just wanted to discuss the spoilers (as this was the thread for it) we are sorry, and hopefully we can come up with something that will be temporary until we decide when to put the new thread up.

Again this thread is *CLOSED FOR GOOD* and will be released from the tack within 24 hrs.

14. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

i agree that it's for the best that this thread is closing, i just think its a shame
    because in theory this thread is awesome, its for the people who dont want to
    be spoiler-free can talk and share in a safe place were we're not ruining it
    for all the people who do want to be spoiler-free it's just really sad, to me, that some people
    couldn't contain all their rather crude opinions about certain spoilers and posted the odd time without a
    spoiler but just to bash one. :(

15. PipBoy2000

PipBoy2000 Victim

Will CSI never be the same after this?

Have you guys seen this?

There's a new webisode show about crime scene cleaners and it's pretty hilarious -- a bloody good time (pardon pun). Starring Dale Midkiff from Magnificent Seven, Time Trax and Pet Semetary.

[Edited To Remove URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.