Smith Replaces Fox

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, May 16, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

One character is cast, and the other gets put on ice.<p>It has been reported that <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> will have two new characters in season nine: Ray Santoro, a <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/150408_01.shtml">replacement</a> for Warrick Brown (<font color=yellow>Gary Dourdan</font>), and Bryce Adams, the woman who will be replacing Sara Sidle (<font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font>) on the graveyard shift. As CSI Files recently <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/030508_02.shtml">reported</a>, <font color=yellow>Katee Sackhoff</font> was considered for the role of Bryce Adams but ultimately was not cast.<p><A class="link" HREF="http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/700000049">Ausiello</a> is now reporting that <I>CSI</I> has found the actress who will play Bryce: <font color=yellow>Lauren Lee Smith</font>. Smith previously appeared on <I>Intelligence</I>, <I>The L Word</I> and <I>Mutant X</I>.<p>Bryce was described as a "flirtatious, witty and strong-willed non-conformist." Meanwhile, the role of Ray Santoro has been put on hold. According to <font color=yellow>Ausiello</font>, <I>CSI</I> is not casting the character at this time.<p>The original news is from <A class="link" HREF="http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Ausiello-Scoop-Lauren/800039787">Ausiello</a>. You can find Smith's acting credits at <A class="link" HREF="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0809049/">IMDb.com</a>. For information about Ray Santoro, visit <A class="link" HREF="http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ausiello.aspx">Ausiello</a>. Thanks to <font color=yellow>Shane</font> for the heads up.<center></center>

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Two words: She's hot.

3. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

She was good on The L Word

4. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

What I don't understand is why they can't just expand Ronnie Lake's character. I liked her, she seemed to have good chemistry with the rest of the CSI's. I hope they do that instead of bringing someone new in.

I know that there's usually contractual issues with things like that, but I think they should go there instead of looking outside. There's been enough changes already.

Also, Ausiello's been wrong before, so hopefully he's wrong this time. We don't need "new blood" on the show. We can expand the roles that are already there. I'm sure George Eads, Eric Szmanda, Wally Langham, Archie Kao the one who plays Wendy, IIRC her name's Liz Vassey, would all love more screen time.

Yeah, they're down two CSI's now, but they can expand Ronnie Lake, then even have Wendy take the field exam. Boom. Problem solved.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I have two words as well, "who's she"? I've never seen nor heard of her, and she can't hold a candle to Jorja Fox, give me a break:wtf:whatever, so many mistakes right now, it's mind boggling:(

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I'm wondering if they put the Santero character on hold in case Gary really cleans up his act and can return. I think it's interesting that on the finale, they showed the one shot went kind of through his neck area, with him still breathing, and didn't show where the other shot went. In my mind, these leaves a crack in the door for his return. The other option is they may only want to introduce one character at a time or (this is my vote if Gary can't come back) may advance one of the existing lab people into CSI role.

7. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

If you've never seen nor heard of her, then how do you know how she stands up against JF? You should at least give her a chance.
    Unfortunately - as with pretty much any replacement on a show - there's always going to be a segment of the audience going "Ugh, hate her, get rid of her, bring back her predecessor" even before the character appears on screen.

8. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I've never seen nor heard of her before but at the moment im keeping an open mind on her ability and how well she'll fit into the CSI team. I think it'll be good to get some new blood, so to speak, in the team and I'm really looking forward to seeing how she fits in.

9. csisue

csisue Hit and Run

I don't consider her a replacement for Jorja....no one can replace an original cast member. But she may breath new life into the show as a whole. I will reserve judgement until I see her in action, but they better not have her flirting with Grissom or I may shoot someone. :)

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

How many of the original "CSI" cast had you heard of when the series first aired?

Personally, I like it when they cast relative unknowns, because then you don't have a preconceived notion of what they will bring to the role. Living in Canada, however, I have seen Lauren Lee Smith before . . . though I had to look at her picture over on IMDb, and then her filmography, to remember where. She played a recurring role on "Intelligence," another outstanding series by "Da Vinci's Inquest" creator Chris Haddock which CBC has stupidly cancelled. (However, FOX has purchased rights to the series, so I guess a U.S. version of it will air in the States.)

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where they go with her character. She was quite good on "Intelligence" but her character had to have been quite different from the one she will be playing on "CSI" . . . hope so, anyway!

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I've seen some good points made in this thread:
    Agreed to all of the above. More or less.

My sister was a huge Mutant X fan, so I recognize her from that. However, I never really watched the show myself, so I can't really comment on/judge her from that.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

13. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I have never heard of her or see her on any show, but I will give her a chance. If she's good, I will except her. I'm glad it not Michelle R. from Lost, she is the one got put on probation for drinking and driving and she angry so much.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

She's got one of those interesting faces that, depending on the circumstances, can be quite beautiful or not much to look at. In fact, in "Intelligence," she went from exactly that as her character deteriorated into a sullen, passive-aggressive drug addict. It was strange to watch, but also highly believable. And, based on what I've seen of her, she definitely can act, so I'm looking forward to seeing what she's able to bring to the role.