CSI: New York--'DOA For A Day'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Apr 3, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><b>Synopsis:</b><p>The CSIs get a lead on the assassin who escaped them in <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season4/down_the_rabbit_hole.shtml">"Down the Rabbit Hole"</a>, but when they descend up on the warehouse where she's been hiding out, they find her dead body, a knife sticking out of her head. In the morgue, Sid extracts the knife and hands it to Mac, who recognizes it as a Navy Seal weapon. Sid also points out that the victim, Suspect X, has had extensive plastic and reconstructive surgery. Mac asks the coroner to try to deconstruct the victim's face in the hopes of IDing her. Adam finds a piece of shrapnel in the hilt of the knife, and Mac suspects that the Navy SEAL it belonged to may have been wounded in battle, meaning he would have received a Purple Heart medal. When Danny and Lindsay connect the knife to the New Jersey judge Suspect X murdered, Mac thinks the man's son, a wounded vet named Russ McHenry, could be the killer. Mac and Flack question the young man, but they see three of his limbs have been replaced, and though he insists he'd be capable of killing someone, he tells them he didn't know the killer's identity. Danny finishes the facial reconstruction on the computer and makes a startling discovery: the dead woman wasn't Suspect X. Danny found the woman's real likeness in the missing person's database: her name was Katie Mann. Suspect X attempted to use Katie to fake her own death. <p>The CSIs learn Katie was the assistant to the mayor's criminal justice coordinator, Jordan Gates. Mac and Jordan are friends: he helped her out when her ex-husband was stalking her and in turn she aided him in getting his lab reconstructed after a bomb he set to catch a killer blew up. Jordan is shocked to learn that Katie is dead. She tells Mac and Flack that she reported the girl missing two months ago, and recalls that Katie was going to go to Club Random the night she disappeared. Danny and Flack go to Club Random, the cosplay club where many Second Lifers hang out. When the Second Life interface on the screen at the club is hijacked, the two realize that Suspect X is watching them. Lindsay comes up with another lead: she traces the plastic surgery materials to a Dr. Joseph Kirkbaum, who lost his license after a woman named Lori Hess sued him. Lori was killed execution style two months ago, and Mac surmises Suspect X killed her in exchange for the plastic surgeon operating on Katie. Angell, Flack, Danny and Lindsay go Parkbaum's office. Danny and Lindsay discover Kirkbaum held Katie in his embalming room, and they make another gruesome discovery: Kirkbaum himself has been murdered and left for them to find, a camera in his eye. Danny dislodges it and breaks the cord, realizing they were once again being watched by Suspect X.<p>Adam makes a major break in the case when he goes over Kirkbaum's subpoenaed electronic records and discovers Suspect X contacted him after he sent several heated e-mails to his attorney. Adam surmises Suspect X was using a spider search to find keywords and phrases in people's e-mails identifying them as potential clients. Mac has Adam set up several e-mail addresses hoping to lure the assassin to them. Hawkes identifies a bottle of liquid the killer left behind in a jumpsuit as feral liquid, indicating she was working with sound systems at some point. Mac recalls the big rally Jordan Gates is planning features a large sound system. Mac, Danny and Flack rush to the event and Danny discovers a gun concealed in a speaker. They managed to thwart the assassin this time, but Mac warns Jordan that the mayor or some other official is in danger. Adam has good news for Mac: he's gotten a hit on one of the e-mail addresses. Mac sets up an undercover operation with Angell posing as the woman Suspect X thinks will hire her. Suspect X shows up, but a random cop spooks her and she runs, with Mac hot on her trail. He chases her to a building under construction and the two exchange gunfire. Mac fires a fatal shot, and as she's dying, he asks her what was in it for her. She tells him of the thrill of killing a person as she dies, dropping her gun to the ground. Mac has some frightening news for Jordan: her ex-husband had hired Suspect X to kill her.<p><b>Analysis:</b><p><i>CSI: New York</i> returns with a nail-biting follow-up to last fall's Second Life tie-in episode "Down the Rabbit Hole." Originally slated to air in February and tie in with the Grammy's (and feature a Grammy-nominated artist), the episode doesn't suffer for being pushed back a few months, and really, we're probably better off for the episode not ending with an extended music video anyway. As cool as it can be to see musical artists featured on television shows, it's nice to have the focus remain on storytelling. As it is, there's a lot to fit in the episode, and I wouldn't have wanted the final showdown between Mac and Suspect X--whose name we never learn--to have been shortened at all.<p>It's interesting to contrast that scene with the opener from <i>Miami</i>'s last episode, <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/miami/season6/all_in.shtml">"All In"</a>. Horatio killed ten men in the teaser in what was supposed to be a tense shoot-out and yet, there was far more suspense in watching Mac chase after and exchange shots with one lone female assassin than there was in seeing Horatio take down ten men with ease. Did I seriously worry that either Mac or Horatio would be seriously wounded? No, not for a second. But I bought into the gunfight at the end of this episode in a way I couldn't while watching Horatio mow down ten armed men. Sometimes, less is more, and that was definitely the case here. The showdown made for a thrilling ending.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/doa_in_a_day.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Great review, as always.

Adam was awesome, Danny and Flack are such nerds (oh Flack, you think you're different than them, but you have your nerdy side :p), and Sheldon continues to be criminally underused. *sigh*

I definitely agree about Mac's scene being better than Horatio's was in "All In"--it wasn't about the hero achieving some magical defeat over a group of faceless baddies without even knocking his Sunglasses of Justice askew--it was about Mac taking down one elusive serial killer that escaped once before. Action!Mac pwns Action!Horatio. :lol:

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I loved Adam :D And his fascination at the killer's method of getting a job :lol:

Mac action definatly beats horatio action! When ever I see H shooting half a dozen men at once on his own to me it never really looks real! But with mac it looked really effective...I don't think H would ever climb up a level using the beams or diving behind objects he usually walks or oves gracefully- Which in my opinion does not make a good chase/action scene :D

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Great review Kristine, and it's fantastic that there are finally new episodes to be reviewed! :D

I personally thought that Jessalyn Gilsig's character had a nice natural rapport with Mac, although the hug at the end was still odd to me considering the rest of their interaction. I think she could be an great character, and I'm interested to see how it will play out in future episodes.

:lol: Ah Adam, he's so adorable. It reminded of the moment in 'The Thing About Heroes' when Adam is seriously impressed with the MP3 player which controlled the subway computer system, he thinks it's awesome and clever, and Danny has to remind him that 'someone died'. I think it's interesting how they show Adam as being different from the CSI's, he really is the scientist, and how by not being used to the death and human aspects of the job, he can sometimes just be impressed by evidence. :) And he's pretending to be a hot 22 year old wanting to have his lover's wife killed! Somehow only a character like Adam, and an actor as great as AJ, could carry that off. :lol:

Aww, I love the thought of them geeking out together. Perfect.

Having read some spoilers for the rest of the season there certainly seems to be a lot of confusing information coming out about Danny and Lindsay, and what the future holds for them as a potential couple. What I'm most concerned about is Peter Lenkov's suggestion that there will be a cliffhanger at the end of the season. I will not be amused if the cliffhanger is Danny/Lindsay relationship related. :rolleyes:

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thanks, guys! I have to say, I really enjoyed that final chase scene, all the more because of having seen the over-the-top Horatio one the night before.

As for Adam, I think he gets very wrapped up in science and technology and forgets about the big picture stuff, that people use this technology for evil. It's kind of cool to see him get so into it, though. I enjoy that a lot about him.

6. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Great review. I think we had a mind meld on the Danny/Lindsay issue.

While I'm disturbed that the CSIs do so much police work, I do agree that Mac's chase was thrilling, more so than the big production numbers that dominate Miami. A lot of it, IMO, is Gary Sinise. He just delivers - was reminded of this last night watching "Ransom."

Love the twist w/ the plastic surgery, agree that it was nice to see all the players come together to solve the mystery. I like that the killer was a woman, nice quirk, but I saw her and all I could think was "Assassin Barbie." Oh well.

7. Ronanx1

Ronanx1 Civilian

Much more beleivable action sequence in NY than Miami, Horatio might be a good shot but honesly can you really take down so many people with such little bullets .

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thanks! And yeah, I saw your post in the grading thread after I finished my review--great minds think alike! I know a few of my friends have that book, and the whole scene between Danny and Lindsay could have been lifted right out of it. It's kind of a weird way to go, but I guess we'll see more next week, and hopefully see why Danny's feeling that way.

Agreed! I can forgive the CSIs getting involved in shootouts now and then if it's not an every week occurrence.

I liked the plastic surgery twist, but I thought her death was faked from the get-go. It was way too easy, but I liked that they figured it out quickly...

It felt like an arcade game where Horatio was taking them out one by one. I miss the days when Miami wasn't so over the top.