Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

Why would Danny be lonely when its been indicated he dated much.
    Detective Maka and Aiden defined chemistry with Danny, and so has Detective Angell. They look as if they're testing Angel and Flack somewhat on the show. They missed the boat on Danny and Angel since they shined on screen more so than he and Lindsay does.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I also felt they missed the boat with Mac/Lindsay--not that I think it could have worked longterm, since he's her boss, but there was definitely some chemistry between the two of them in season 2, and I don't think it was scripted--I think it just worked. There could have been some sort of unrequited feelings of some sort or whatever it is they do to amp up the drama :vulcan:--instead, they went the tried and true (aka cliche and boring) 'new girl gets the hot bad boy' route. Too bad even such a guaranteed storyline wasn't nearly as successful as they were probably hoping it would be.

(Granted, the 'girl falls for her boss' route is anything but unique, even within this franchise, and there would have been shrieks of NY copying off of Vegas, but you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with this show sometimes, being the second spinoff and all. :rolleyes:)

I'm not the kind of person that 'believes' something just because it's written down in the script and therefore shows up on the screen--you've got to make me believe it. If you can't make me believe that this fictional character is 'real', that his/her thoughts and actions and motivations are 'genuine', it's going to fall flat.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  3. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

I agree about Mac and Lindsay. I posted my appreciation for Melty back when Mac was first tutoring her and on to when they teamed on the work cases. I never thought about the boss and employee nature, because they displayed a natural and charming camaderie with each other, and Mac lighted up some, and the same with her. You barely see her team up with Mac anymore. They do show Danny and Hawkes, Danny/Flack and Danny/Angel somewhat.

4. Faylinn

I really did like the way Mac sort of lightened up around Lindsay early in season 2--the bow and arrow scene from "Stuck on You" is one of those scenes that gets trotted out all of the time for being 'good' for various reasons, but it also illustrates the good interaction between them.

For some reason, that made me think of those little 'demonstrations' Lindsay does that make Mac look like he'd rather shit a brick than wait for her to take her sweet time getting to the point. Those are just...never cute. They probably could be, but they just...aren't. Random, I know, but they just bug me. :censored:

5. privatename

privatename Rookie

I have to say that I really disagree on this one. I can barely tolerate Lindsay and if they had paired her with one of my favorite characters, it really would have been hard for me to watch the show. In addition, I really didn't see any chemistry between them. None.

That to me is one of the dangers of pairing main characters in a show -- there are so many opinions out there you are bound to upset some people. I personally believe Mac and Stella have amazing chemistry and have read some fanfiction about them as a pairing. Do I want them to actually get together on the show -- no. (Well, maybe at the very end of the last episode :) And when you have someone as controversial as Lindsay (if this board is anything to go by) paired with anyone on a show you seem to be looking for dissension. Anyway, just my opinion.

6. Faylinn

*shrug* No doubt. Would I want to see Mac and Lindsay walking around and being schmoopy? Hell no. But I think my preference for one over the other has more to do with the fact that the potential seemed to grow out of what naturally came through on screen rather than trying to force it through dialogue. And I think that could have worked, given time (and the right kind of writing). Does that mean it would have been a good idea? Probably not. :p

I was also generally optimistic about Lindsay in the beginning anyway. :lol:

7. privatename

privatename Rookie

I didn't really feel too much about her either way. It didn't bother me that Aiden was leaving since I hadn't watched many of the season 1 episodes when Season 2 started. Anyway, I thought she was okay in the first few episodes. She didn't stand out to me as someone I would really like where some of the other characters really did stand out right from the start as characters that I could really get interested in. But I didn't dislike her. Now . . . I really wish she would disappear.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  8. Faylinn

At first I was very excited about her arrival and thought, 'It sucks that Aiden's gone, but this will be good too!'

Oh, to recapture that sense of naivety. *wistful sigh* :p

I still don't have the CSI:NY edition of the CSI magazine, so maybe someone who has it can fill me in--did Anna really say something about thinking of her daughter when she was doing the courtroom scene last season? Because, uh, if so...how does one prepare for a depressing scene full of grief and horrible memories by thinking about how happy they are as a parent? :wtf:

9. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

Okay, here it is word for word from the 1st issue of CSI:NY

How difficult was it for you to play the testimony scenes?

"For me, as an actor, that stuff is more challenging, but it's also fun. The court testimony also coincided with me having just had a baby. I think it was three weeks after I'd had my baby that I did those scenes. So I was already raw and over-tired and just a wreck. All I had to do was think about this new baby and how much I loved her, and then in the scene there were all the parents of the friends that I had seen killed. So it was in a way easier, although I was totally exhausted [laughs] and it was hard just physically. I had fun doing it actually."

I hope that when she says that she "was totally exhausted", she is talking about working while taking care of a newborn because I saw nothing in her performance to indicate she was putting forth any effort to try and conjure up some emotion during her testimony.

10. Faylinn

Well, at least she wasn't trying to use happy tears over her baby in place of sad tears over her character's dead friends--that's what I'd feared she might have said.

However, reading the quote, I...saw none of that in the final scene. :confused:

Is she saying that she channeled her feelings as a new mother into understanding the grief of the parents in the courtroom? Cause, uh, she wasn't playing a grieving mother and I don't know where else that was all supposed to go.

Nice theory, though.

11. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

She had fun doing the courtroom scene, that very scene when she had to be depressed, scared, angry and supposedly crying (I believe that she was trying to cry when she scrunched her face to the camera) and a lot of other feelings. Ahaaa...that is why no emotion whatsoever escaped her body. I am not trying to be mean, but if you just gave birth 3 weeks ago you just don't pop up on the screen if you're tired and you know that you might get things confused.

She didn't have anything major since Snow Day, and if it stays that way, she won't be disturbing. She's not in the spotlight in the fourth season, and lately she didn't have to convey any emotions. Just let her babble about evidence and she'll be fine.

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Thank you so much for the excerpt, stormymac! :D It is appreciated. Her answer is ... odd. I think she's trying to say she tried to get into a sad mood by empathizing with the parents of the kids who were killed? What really made the answer weird is that she said in order to do that crying bit (which, ironically, she didn't because there were no tears at all), she 'thought of her baby and how much she loved her'.

I recall Carmine saying in one of his interviews that to do the crying scene in Run Silent, Run Deep, he thought of 'sad things' to get himself going. So, thinking of new baby and how much you love it in order to feel sad and cry is ... rather bizarre.

stormymac, is there a part in the interview asking Anna about why Lindsay turned Danny down in season three and she went to the writers about it? I kinda remember reading about that somewhere ...

By the way, this is the 1001st post. It's time for a new WLMG thread!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  13. Faylinn

I opened the third thread here, so let's scoot on over there to continue this discussion. I'm really interested to compare Anna's thoughts about the character with my own--and with how Lindsay comes across on screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.