"The Greater Good" Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Faylinn, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Episode Title: "The Greater Good"
    Episode Number: 1513
    Synopsis: "The CSI team learns the main suspect in the gig harbor killings is being released from jail due to lack of evidence."
    Original Airdate: January 4, 2015

Written By: Christopher Barbour
    Directed By: Alec Smight

Guest Stars:
    • Alimi Ballard (Detective Kevin Crawford)
    • Mark Valley (Daniel Shaw)
    • Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Paul Winthrop and Kared Briscoe)
    • Scott Thomas Reynolds (Officer Peyton)
    • Brooke Nevin (Maya)
    • Elise Luthman (Hayley Lowell)

2. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Ugh....I am beyond tired of the Gig Harbor storyline.

3. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

THIS DONT MAKE ANY SENSE! Why the hell Russel would do and Ecklie would allow something that alredy goes really wrong with Morgan one season ago?

Why the hell is Don McGill in charge of CSI? How even he find the way to become that charge? How and Why?

The story is boring and no-sense, Christopher Barbour and Don McGill create another crap story around D.B.Rusell and Finn, but this is shit, Paul Millander story was creepy, cool and really interesting.

The Blue Paint Killer was also a cool and thrilling story, where the final killer and the motives makes sense, even the Miniature Killer was awesome, but later when they begin to put so much personal affairs into every end up of season is like WTF?

The last episode finale that was not related to one CSI was "All In", we later have "Meat Jekill", "In a Dark, Dark house", "Homecoming", "Skin in the Game?", "Dead in His Tracks" because even before that we have "For Gedda" and "Living Doll".

But i am angry, really piss off what the hell is this crap, i wait they regret when they loss the only series where his crap job was allow.

4. Rena

Rena Rookie

So Maya was supposed to leave at, what, 7 pm? They drove all night until 6:27 am, i.e. they were driving through Las Vegas for more than 10 hours? :confused: And the Gig Harbour Killer story is not yet finished?!

5. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

Yes, this episode have so many plot holes, but what really kill me, is all the plot holes, how this serial killer have so many money, how he plans something so stupid, how the twin brother get free, so many questions?

And even the worst is that we alredy know who the killer is, so this dont make any sense is boring and enless.

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

When did Morgan become a bug expert? - Grissom had years worth of education and training. Even Nick has been going to conferences for several years to learn. And here Morgan seems to have just picked it up out of the blue.

Susan

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

It pains me to say this, but I think that was probably the worst CSI episode ever ... and it's had a fair bit of competition lately with the rest of the Gig Harbor episodes. I really couldn't have cared less what happened to D.B.'s daughter, because the whole idea of using her as "bait" was so utterly ridiculous and predictable. There was no dramatic tension whatsoever. As much as I disliked the resolution of the "Miniature Killer" storyline, it was executed so much better than this was. (Don't get me wrong; I loved everything about the "Miniature Killer" storyline except its resolution; the "CSI in peril" plot device got old for me with "Grave Danger" ... so anything that followed just seemed like a repetition of that idea.)

Hubby and I are both shaking our heads at why they keep coming back to this "making it personal with a murderer" theme. Didn't they see how badly that backfired with the Langston/Haskell plotline?

8. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

Now, I'm confused. Either it was because I nearly fell asleep throughout this episode or because I had better things to do than sit for an hour to watch this. What did I miss before that guy had his daughter back? There were mention of some girl's sister, then it's someone's mother, and how does it, or father and daughter, connect with the dead body found on that bed? And who killed her? Sometimes, even though an episode would bore me if the characters would just work on the scene instead of bellowing out freaking hypothesis, whether it's this or Criminal Minds, perhaps there is no other way than for the characters to stand around and yell out what they think they know before actually working to solve the damn case. It makes for such an interesting show, I'm sure!

The whole bug thing should've been reserved for Nick. As I enjoy seeing him with Greg, I would love even more for him to showcase his bug expertise.

And as I enjoy Hodges attempting to play that violin, perhaps I skipped out on how it fits with the case. I must have fallen asleep at the whole violin thing after that.

The creators could have done a better job writing this mess. Now, I dread for the twin that got away to come back again with another tired ass mess of a brand new episode, hopefully a conclusion. Enough with this story already!

9. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

The only thing i can see makes sense about this episode is that they explain how the Killer make the strings, because i was asking me, ¿how the hell a serial killer makes human skin strings?

It was a really cool idea to make a serial killer that care and know about the CSI "thing", but how awfull they make it, they put two creepy and really cliche story about the good brother and the bad brother and later they look just like "Nate Haskell" and later they begin to copy the "The Skin In Game" plot.

Please somebody kill Don McGill, please kill this guy, kill Barbour, kill every one that makes this story lines and came with this crap.

The worst is that they will make Nick get kill or quit the Job, just like in the 10 season finale. I hate CSI writers they kill this series...

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Glad to see I'm not the only one fed up with these ridiculous storylines. They've turned the show into a joke.

And what really irks me...DB was brought in from Seattle to clean things up and get the team back on track after the Ray fiasco. And yet look at the mess he's made! He's brought Finn in who is worthless as a CSI and does nothing but flirt and sleep with every guy she meets and also runs off on her own all the time and gets into trouble. And DB's family keeps getting kidnapped and involved with killers.

Ridiculous. I'm glad George is leaving.

11. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

If this were a real life CSI team i will say that Grissom and Mrs. Willows where the best night shift in charge.

Because Ray was not in charge but every one follow him and now with D.B dawn!

With D.B Russell we had every finale and every season almost 3, 4, 9 episodes around the woman he put in charge, Finn and even worst almost every episode we have some CSI in the middle of something or getting too into the case.

But i feel really sorry that George and even Nick character goes out of the show, not because they give him some respeat, hell no! they become Nick, Sara and the old ones in the bitch's of Morgan, but because Stockes was the only thing that makes this show works.

Because Sara character is lost and for me Nick was like a chief even more that D.B. When the writers do at less a crap job

12. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

I saw the print previews and made en effort to avoid this episode. Those two words make me turn away. Which is a shame, because I've been to Gig Harbor, WA. It's a very quaint seaport and very serene. They're giving it a bad name!

As a guy, I can see some merits in this sort of behavior. :guffaw: But I do understand your point.

13. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

I tried to give this storyline a chance and for awhile, I thought it was ok. I wasn’t exactly invested in it, but I didn’t dislike it either....until this episode. A part from it centering on DB and Finn (which still bugs me; come on, they’re not even developing further as characters, if anything, I feel like the writers are just rehashing what we already saw in seasons 12-13), I think the Gig Harbor Killer is an interesting idea and I did want to know where all the build up was going to go. However, I think “The Greater Good”, not only made this story arc mediocre and unwatchable, but I was hoping the writers wouldn’t fall back on their old cliches. First of all, using Russell’s daughter as bait was a terrible idea, even though I felt bad for DB, the entire storyline throughout the episode was too unoriginal and predictable; it was obvious the plan would backfire, it was obvious she was going to be rescued in the end...ugh, did they learn nothing from Morgan’s abduction in “Skin in the Game”? If they want to make a serial killer story personal for one of the characters, can they at least try to do something new?

Mark Paul Gosselar is a decent actor, but somehow, I don’t find his two characters all that interesting or threatening as serial killers. I didn’t care about Russell’s daughter or what was going to happen to her, even the supposedly intense/emotional scenes did nothing for me. There was also not enough Sara, Nick and Greg (heck, I think Sara only had...5 seconds of screentime?), I know this is a DB/Finn storyline, but come on.

Speaking of Nick, while I wish he wasn’t leaving, at the same time, I’m pretty convinced that this is the final season of CSI, so I’m not as sad about it as I would be otherwise....yet.

14. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

There have been episodes in season 15 that have made us hope for another season. This was not one of them. I didn't believe for a second that either D.B.'s daughter or Shaw would be harmed in any way. I didn't care about yet another one of D.B.'s relatives being in danger and neither found all those nods to past episodes amusing (the bugs, the ants, the violin, Hodges' mentor, the daughter leaving marks for CSI's to find... the list is long in this one). It felt like a 45-minute long trailer of a B movie (or a dream) with too many laughable moments.

As for a season renewal, I don't see why they would make a big deal out of Nick's departure if there wasn't going to be a season 16. If season 15 is the end then everyone else has been neglected throughout season 15, and that includes everyone from regular cast members to technicians. They all deserve a 'final day on set' tweet/photo/other. Additionally, there are mentions about Nick along the lines of 'we won't kill him and we're leaving the door open for future appearances instead'. Without a season 16 there's no 'door' to leave open. It doesn't make sense. It's just another trick to get some of its lost viewers back. I don't see it not being renewed.

And as for who is going to die, I'm between Doc and Dave (and that's only because my first guess, officer Mitchell, isn't listed as having been in season 1). Maybe there will be something deadly inside a dead body (something about the strings, a bomb, or poison)? A spoiler on the spoiler thread states: "A cast member who has been a part of the show since Season 1". Assuming there is going to be another season, then why get a major character killed and have fewer backup stories to write about? They can cut down costs by not having them present in every single episode, they don't have to kill them off. And if there isn't going to be another season then the hype over Nick's departure has simply been unfair towards everyone else involved with the show for the past 15 years, especially the character who will get killed, no matter how major or minor that character is.

Besides, CSI cannot have a final episode without Grissom.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  15. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

Maybe the cast and crew thinks that there will be another season, but that doesn't nessecarily mean that CSI will get renewed because that is up to CBS no matter what, not them. We may have to wait and see how the finale plays out-sometimes what the spoilers say and what actually happens in the episode are different things. Maybe it will look like they were trying to wrap up the show (I can't see them pulling it off though considering how the season has been so far and how much they are cramming in to the finale), and after the finale airs, there will be a farewell party for the entire cast and crew, but I'm just speculating.