Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by jafox, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

^^^
    I agree. It didn't blow me away, but it is setting up the players and the stage for the season. I'm looking forward to the Arya storyline.
    One of the articles I read said that they had an increased budget this season, so I'm hoping for, and expecting, bigger and better things.

Favorite quote from this episode:
    Tyrion to Cersei: You love your children. It's your one redeeming quality; that and your cheekbones. :lol:
    Pretty much anything Tyrion says will be a favorite.

I can be patient with this show because I know it will build and deliver the goods. And, really, I was just so glad to see these awesome characters back. :)

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yeah, I totally agree. A friend of mine just watched the very first episode (season 1) and she really liked it- I told her just keeps getting better and better from there. I absolutely expect the same of this season.

And agreed- Tyrion has the best lines. LOVE him. :lol: He's just an interesting character all round, and Peter Dinklage has just brought him to life. Outstanding. I think that's the beauty of this show though- everybody just does such justice to their roles. While watching this first season 2 episode, I was reminded of how amazing Lena Headley and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau are in their roles- Cersei and Jaime are much more subtle characters, and yet you feel this background badness with them so easily... both are really well acted.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Wow. This season may have started out a little slow, but this last episode made up for it in spades.
    Most of the key players had some great scenes and a lot happened in this one. I loved the dialogue between the estranged brothers, and the direwolf made an appearance :), Joffrey is thoroughly despicable, Tyrion is still my hero, Arya seems safe for now, and... WTF was that at the end?! :eek:
    A rather dark and sadistic episode, but a great one. The best so far this season. Can't wait for next week to see what that is.

I'm hooked, again.

ETA Best recap ever:
    http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-garden-of-bones/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

This week's episode was amaazing!

Having not read the books, the ending was truly a shocker (what the hell was that thing?!). Sooo looking forward to Sunday's episode even more now, Season 2 looks like it's really kicking off now!

5. BabaOReilly

Yeah, crazy ending! My only concern is that the people who are coming to this show from a lesser "fantasy" type background might start to think it's getting too weird... but personally I am psyched. I can't stand that priestess chick, or whatever she is. She's such a manipulator! :p

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I was sad to see Renly go. :( Especially at the hands of whatever that was. I was hoping we would see more scenes between him and his brother, Stannis. But, I am curious to see what will happen with Margaery and Loras.
    I think Brienne is one of my new favorite characters; I'm looking forward to her alliance with the Starks. I would certainly want her on my side. :)
    Can we please put Joffrey on Arya's death wish list ASAP? It was actually nice to have an episode without him.
    Glad to see things getting better for Dany.
    And, it's always nice to see Jon Snow. :adore:

7. BabaOReilly

Yeah, poor dumb Renley. I did suspect he was not long for this world though. :lol:

I hope nothing happens to Stanis' right hand man guy- he's the only voice of reason on that side.

Loving the Arya stuff! :)

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Although it was especially gory (detached arm, disembowelment, beheading, yikes!), I loved last night's episode. This show works best for me when the focus is on the Stark family. I particularly loved the Arya stuff, and can't wait to see how she reconnects with her family. I was also worried for Sansa last night, and then the ominous, "Trust no one", advice she got from Shae.
    I always love seeing more of Jon Snow and Rob Stark. :adore:

But, of course, my favorite scene was Joffrey getting hit with a pile of poo, and then getting slapped...again!
    Much love and respect for Tyrion, always. :)

And, a question on everyone's lips this morning, "Where are my dragons?" :lol:

I can't believe the season is almost over; only four episodes left, I think. It seems like it just started. :(

ETA Unlikely hero of the hour: Send in 'The Hound'!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. BabaOReilly

I would not mind at all if "Dog" eventually kills Joffrey...

A gal can hope! :lol:

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

An epic penultimate episode last night!

I thought the water scenes were fantastic! And the man-to-man combat was wonderfully staged. A bit morbid, but I actually laughed when Tyrion came up from behind and cut off the man's leg.
    Ever my hero, I seriously hope Tyrion is not dead. :(

The scenes between Sansa and Cersei were some of the best yet. And, I like the weird relationship between Sansa and The Hound. And Joffrey was.....Joffrey. As much as I want him killed off, he is kind of entertaining to watch.
    TNTC (too numerous to count) great quotes; it's hard to pick a favorite, and many are unsuitable for print here. :)
    Great song at the end.

Only one episode left. It would seem they have a lot to cover since many of the featured players were not in this episode. Can't wait!

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

That was a phenomenal hour of television. Looks like most the budget went to this episode. I enjoyed everything - the battle scenes and Cersei and Sansa. I wanted Sansa to escape with the Hound to Winterfell but it looks they weren't able because the promo for the finale shows them with the Lannisters. Tyrion is very smart as usual. I'm pretty sure he's alive. I'm curious what's going to be the implication of the failed assasination on him by Cersei's man. Tyrion is very complicated. It's hard to figure out what his ultimate plan is. Every episode he plans on how to defend King's Landing but somehow I think he's up to something. He secretly hates Cersei and Jaime and Joffrey but still he's on their side. He's a good man in a ruthless family. I hate all the Lannisters except Tyrion.

But honestly I want Daenerys Targaryn to sit on the Iron Throne in the very end. I want her to be the ultimate winner by series end. Her story from being a Dothraki wife to being the Mother of the Dragons has always been a tease - slowly building up since episode 1. I love it and those little pieces of story makes me want for more. She's like the B-story to the Starks vs Lannisters until she's ready to take over King's Landing. How about you, who do you want to be the ultimate winner of the Iron Throne in the very end?

I'm going to be disappointed if a Lannister sits on the throne till the very end. I'm fine with Tyrion but I don't he's interested to be a King for now. I can't see a Stark a King simply because Jon Snow is a bastard and Robb is boring.

I also love Arya and her adventures all over Westeros. She's my favorite Stark. It's great that she has friends like Gendry, Hot Pie and now Jaqen. I'm curious how she'll be mixed up in the fight for the throne in seasons to come.

Sorry I'm all over the place. I'm talking about the recent episode then immediately some from season 1. It's just that it's been a while since I posted here. Can't wait for the finale.

12. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

Best hour of television ever! :eek:

Perfect would be an understatement, the whole episode was a masterpiece from the calm before the storm to the big battle itself. THIS is what every viewer was waiting for and it did not disappoint. The combat scenes were wonderfully done and highlighted the chaos of it all, the explosion of the wildfire was both mesmerising and harrowing and the Cersei/Sansa scenes were intriguing and broke up the episode nicely.

There were some great lines too, particularly love all the spite Joffrey received. "The worst people always return", "I'll be praying for you as much as I pray for my king." Bronn was wonderfully entertaining, Tyrion was spectacular, Sansa and the Hound were made more likeable and Cersei was just as wicked yet just as captivating to watch.

So, all in all, an amazing episode from an amazing series! Looking forward to next week! The 10-month wait for Season 3? Not so much.

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I love Dany's story, but I'm a Stark fan through and through. None of this show seems to be about fairness, but after what happened to Ned Stark in the first season, it would seem like poetic justice for his family to reign. And, since I despise Joffrey, how great would it be to have Sansa be the ruler? :) I also love Arya. Rob may be boring, but he is definitely nice to look at; and he seems like the GoT version of King Arthur.
    I do agree: anybody but a Lannister.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I would love Sansa to rule. After last week's episode, I even like her more. She's starting to show some hate or disgust to Joffrey. I hope someday she'd totally stand up to him for her and her family.

Surprising is, I don't despise Joffrey as much as Jaime and Cersei. Jaime's an awful person, a backstabber. Since episode 1, I've hated him when he pushed Bran out of the window. Cersei is someone I love to hate. She's evil but she's bringing in a lot of interest in the villains' side. I think the evil side would be boring if she dies so maybe she'll make it far. I don't care about Jaime. I wish Brianne cut his head off. Joffrey is expendable. He already peaked when he ordered killing Ned.

About Rob, maybe on future episodes he'll be more interesting. I think his love interest may bring in some life in his character.

15. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Great finale!
    Although it may not have had the excitement factor of the last episode, it climaxed some important storylines and set the stage for next season. All the Stark children and their journeys were visited in this one.

I am becoming a Sensa fangirl. She was perfect in her scenes when Joffrey was 'freeing' her, and loved when she smiled afterward, if only briefly. I suspect it will not be an easy road for her, but I will most definitely be rooting for her.

It seems Robb rushed into marriage and I suspect there will be some fallout from this; Jon had a life altering event; Tyrion made me tear up; and Dany was reunited with her dragon babies (I loved the 'return' of Drogo. :()

Things are definitely heating up in the North. Loved the final scene: The Walking Dead meets Game of Thrones.
    Awesome show! Wish we didn't have to wait so long for next season.