Grade 'Near Death'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 11, 2012.

?

How would you grade Near Death?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Oh that's entirely how I interpreted it too :) But I'm also on tumblr where there are A LOT of JAC fans, and yes, they were practically beside themselves over her "confession" of "love" and then insisting that Mac meant Jo when he told Claire he'd met someone :p I think that's cool you have two versions of "I love you" :)

2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

That would be quick if Mac and Christine got married within the time jump. We'll see. And also the finale talked about Adam being a CSI. Maybe he is now.

3. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Well if they're going to be proper according to their timeline (which we know isn't explicitly going to happen :rolleyes:), the end of 8.18 takes place in November of 2012, meaning unless they go back in time come Sept to Mac recovering, there'll be nearly a year and a half time jump by the beginning of s9. Now, if Mac is fully recovered and working cases in the premier of next season, we'll have to assume that the time jump has taken place, making a potential engagement and/or marriage relatively realistic within the season if they put it at the end since Mac and Christine would have been seeing each other for almost 2 years at that point. If they do create another timeline warp and show the current date come Sept as being Sept of 2012 in the show AND have Mac back at work, an engagement is still a realistic possibility by the end of the season.

As for Adam being a CSI, I got the impression that while he isn't one currently he has aspirations to get his badge in the near future and Mac was reassuring him that he'd make a great CSI and get that position.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I finally got to watch the whole thing uninterrupted. I give it a solid B as a grade. It wasn't as good as last season's finale, but the character moments made up for what I wasn't thrilled about.

The fact that by the book Mac knew about Don killing Jess' killer and decided that he wasn't going to do anything about it bugged me. Don't get me wrong, I love Flack, but when TPTB decided to have him pull the trigger it really screwed up the show IMO.

It would have been obvious from the CSIs examining the scene that the dude was shot unarmed when he was down and obvious that it was Flack's gun that fired the shot. It never made any sense to me that the only thing that ever came from it was Flack feeling guilty about it. But because I love Flack and Eddie Cahill I've been able to keep on watching and being glad Flack is still around even though it still bugs the hell out of me. And I guess it wasn't so out of character to have Mac be the one to decide that it wasn't worth it to prosecute Flack. Even in limbo we get the Mactimony. ;) :rolleyes:

I loved what Flack said about Jess and about not telling people how he feels though. Eddie was spot on with his acting and made me tear up a bit and I don't cry at TV shows easily.

Everyone's moments with Mac while he was in limbo were touching in their own ways. My absolute favorite moment was Danny saying, "I love you, Mac," and Mac replying with, "I love you too, Danny." It was so simple but for anyone who has watched from S1 it was powerful. It brought back the father/son dynamic between the two that has been missing for a while.

I liked that Claire said she likes Christine. It was a nice way to make Mac's journey into moving on complete.

One of my other favorite parts was when Mac was telling Jo what he'd miss about each person and he said, "Adam's . . . Adam." :lol: It was perfect. I am a bit surprised they've decided to have Adam be on the CSI track, though.

I think it'll be harder to split up screen time now that he seems to be moving out in the field. But if what they said about focusing more on personal lives in S9 comes true maybe it won't be a problem.

I'm excited that they got another season and I'm curious as to how they're going to do it because I can't see TPTB letting it cheat death three times. I would suspect they're going to announce S9 will be the final season so they can actually wrap things up and do a finale that doesn't have to do double duty, but I guess stranger things have happened. I'd love them to let it get to 200 episodes, too, but I'll be happy with whatever they give us.

ETA: As for the timeline for next season, I have no doubt it will be completely f*cked up. :p :lol: :shifty: Timelines have never been this show's strong suit.

5. Rena

Rena Rookie

Okay, I have to admit that I'm way too slow to get that. Why will there be a year and a half time jump? If they start in Sept '12 as Sept '12 they could show how Mac recovers from his injuries, or they start with Nov '12 as Nov'12. It doesn't have to be another time jump between 8.18 and 9.01. They could just go on and begin with the end of 8.18.

6. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Because at the end of the episode, they had a 6 month time jump and Mac was back at work. It wouldn't make sense for them to show Mac's recovery if they showed him back in the field.

7. Rena

Rena Rookie

I still don't get it. Then they just start like it was Nov '12??? This way they could continue the story line. A time jump of one and a half year would indicate it was 2013, but they just jumped like six months ahead from now. So when the show returns in like what six months, they would be exactly with us in Nov'12. Theoretically. Gosh, I'm so slow thinking :lol:

EDIT: Or do you mean the show will return NEXT year, i.e. taking place NEXT year? 'Cause THAT would make sense to me!:lol:

...dude, I should do some spelling check before clicking the submit button

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I just thought of something, what if this incident happened in February? March? Hell, it could have happened in January.

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i really have nothing bad to say about "Near Death." i thought it was an incredibly well made episode. if this had been the series finale i would have been upset but not as upset because the episode was just great.

the scenes where Mac is in limbo were fantastic and so beautiful. i lost it when Mac was talking with Flack. it was so sad to see that Flack is still grieving for Angell so much after all these years (hell i still am too i miss her a lot).

ever since the first season the writers have been stressing that this team is a family and never has it been more evident. even Jo who has only been with the team for two years is part of this close family.

episodes like "Near Death" where everything from the writing, acting, direction and just everything are fantastic makes me so proud to be a fan of the show.

10. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Something I just thought of concerning Flack.

Didn't he tell Mac that he had shot Simon when he went to visit Mac in his office after he got better?

11. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

Actually we don't know exactly what did happen. When last seen, Cade's gun was on the floor next to him, within his reach. He could have grabbed for it. That's unlikely given Flack's subsequent comments and behavior, but it could have happened.

When he shot Cade, here's how I saw it played out. Flack would make a statement to the effect that, "When I came into the room I saw Cade down on the floor on his back. He had a gun in his hand. As I moved toward him I told him to drop it. He pointed it at me. I shot him." Or he could have said, "When I came into the room I saw Cade down on the floor on his back. He had gun lying next to him. As I moved toward him I told him not to move. He grabbed the gun and I shot him." There would be enough evidence to back up either version.

As for Mac's "knowing", well there's "knowing" and knowing. He "knew" (thought) based on what could have happened, knowing Flack's character, and seeing Flack's obvious guilt. Although the guilt could have been explained away that it was just grief about Jess. The actual, provable, collectible evidence from the scene must have backed up whatever statement Flack gave. I'm sure Mac didn't tamper with it. Unless Flack confessed or an eye-witness showed up, "knowing" wasn't enough. (And Danny wasn't a witness. He didn't arrive until after it was over.) That's why Mac stopped Flack from saying too much in "Cuckoo's Nest". He didn't want what he "knew" (thought) to become knew (provable), and a confession would change that. As for the "limbo" scene, that was just in Mac's imagination. Since it didn't really happen, it doesn't change things.

12. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I think that Flack tried to say something to Mac, but Mac knew what he was going to tell him and cut him off, on the grounds that if he *officially* knew about it, he'd have to do something official like charging Flack.

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We do know what happened, they just didn't show the bullet going into Cade's body. It was very clear that Flack thought about it and then shot him unarmed from the audience's perspective.

In Mac's imagination or not it was obvious from the get go that there was no investigation into Cade's death because it would've been pretty easy to prove from the position of Cade's body, the location of the gun and the trajectory of Flack's shot that he executed him. Having Mac say he knows even in his mind just illustrates to me how having Flack do what he did screwed up the show IMO.

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

It's kinda weird, I mean for some reason what Flack did doesn't really bother me and I didn't really put much thought to it. But what Scotty Valens did to cause the death of an inmate in the last few episodes of Cold Case, did bother me.

Perhaps I wasn't fully into the show as I am now so maybe that's why what Flack did didn't bother me.

15. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I loved the episode and would have been content if it had been the series finale, but I am thrilled it was just the season finale. I enjoyed the moments between Mac and each other the other team members. I also found myself liking Christine more than I ever have before. Now looking to season 9.