"Dune and Gloom" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Smokey

Nickaholic
Series: 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation'
Episode Title: 'Dune and Gloom'
Episode Number: 1221
Synopsis: "When a bomb kills an off-road race truck driver mid-race, the CSI team is called on the scene to investigate why."
Original Airdate
: May 02, 2012

Written By
: Tom Mularz
Directed By: Jeffrey Hunt

Guest Stars:

• Marc Vann as Conrad Ecklie
  • Alex Carter as Detective Vartann
  • Jon Wellner as Henry Andrews
  • Paula Marshall as Ms. Kathy Veck
  • Zabryna Guevara as Dr. Amy Berkman
  • William Francis McGuire as Bo Martin
  • Jon Collin Barclay as Jimmy Delton
  • Michael Stoyanov as Radio Broadcaster
  • Ryan Ahern as Jack Breslin
  • H. Richard Greene as Art Weber
  • Dustin Seavey as Clive Morris
  • Daryl Crittenden as Lyle Pratt

Little bit of trivia ~

Tweeted from Joe Perry (Aerosmith) on Thursday so it should be the beginning of Dune and Gloom.

Thanks to Phil at CSI LAS VAGAS. Said he wanted tear your face off guitar mayhem to match show opening, he came to right place!

Just got finished writing & tracking opening music for next wed. CSI LAS VAGAS.used dub-step from my DJson @roman_perry for 2nd trk in show

Susan

Here's a little bit more with Joe Perry

LOS ANGELES, April 30, 2012 – Legendary guitarist Joe Perry has composed two exclusive instrumental tracks to air during CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION on Wednesday, May 2 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Perry, co-founding member, principal co-songwriter, lead guitarist and co-producer of rock band Aerosmith, is a multi-Grammy Award-winning musician. Perry has also garnered a Grammy nomination for his solo album, “Mercy.”

“It was really exciting that CSI gave me this opportunity to contribute to the show,” said Perry. “The first piece is pure adrenalin rock ‘n roll. The second gave me a chance to work for my DJ son Roman, who contributed some of his electronic dance music.”

Perry’s music will be heard in the first act of “Dune and Gloom,” in which off-road trucks are engaged in competition when a bomb goes off mid-race. The CSI team then arrives to investigate.

And a preview clip featuring Sara & Greg.

Susan

Good eppy, I give it a B+

Super Dave and mini van :adore:

Lots of Sara :) are they forshadowing something for next week/season? Nice to hear her mom mentioned (is that it? Or Grissom?)

Russell is pushing Greg to get his AIS (not sure if that's correct) to become a criminalist? Is there a difference between a CSI Level 3 and a criminalist or did hear all that correctly? My dad likes to watch in the kitchen and the TV's echo and it's distracting

Nice to see some Sara/Greg scenes, now we need more Finn/Greg ones :)

Continuity on Greg liking bombs :) and Branders

Ecklie has been married at least 3 times?! That surprised me, will there be 4th with him/Olivia?

More continuity with Hodges Italian interest :)

Ugh, can't believe next week is it

The beginning had we weary. Not sure who wrote some of those lines, but for some reason I did not like them. Luckily, it got much better as time went on.

Great team dynamic! Especially the three girls working in the breakroom. Sara had a lot with everyone which was awesome. I think Finn is starting to fit right in.

Funny references of Hodges' mom and Ecklie. Lmao his cologne stunk :D

The connection between DB's cousin and Sara's mom was very touching. I got a little teary eyed :/ but it's good they had each other. This was the 2nd or 3rd mention of Sara's mom in recent years? Sara used to be so adament about bringing up her past and now she's more open. I wonder if Gil has any effect...;)

Ooo and this is another time Sara got played? Recently the kid she was having ice cream with, now the old guy? :/ Those bad guys need to leave her alone lol.

Probably a lot more likes, but I can't recall them now.

Overall a good episode. To me it improved and the end, especially between DB and Sara, sold me the episode.

Yay for continuity, I'll say that. It'd be interesting if Sara's mom could be on the show, but this is good too.

Got the Once An Episode wife mention by DB lol

Next week makes me nervous.

Nice episode! I didn't expect to see so much Sara. What a pleasant surprise. :) They really should promote her more, IMHO.

I liked the action-packed beginning, and the background music from Joe Perry, especially what was played while Sara and Morgan were marking the crime scene.
I absolutely loved all the Sara in this one, of course :) , and loved that she had scenes with different people. It's always great to have Sara and Greg scenes; love their banter. "Cite your source", definitely a remembrance of Sara and Grissom, and Greg's 'big bang theory'. Thoroughly enjoyed the Sara/Morgan scenes; and absolutely adored the Sara/DB scenes. Sara seems to sense in him someone she can open up to...a little.

And, Whoa! another mention of Sara's mother! I hope that means we might see her next season, providing Jorja re-signs, that is. I thought this and the end scene between DB and Sara were very touching, with such sad undertones. The final scene was so layered with nuance, I have to watch it again to see what it all means. Was DB speaking in personal reflection? Was Sara thinking about her and Grissom? and maybe Natalie, and what she did to them? Or, I may be reading way to much into it. :lol:
Either way, I thought DB and Sara showed a deepened bond in this one, and I loved it.

I didn't guess the killer til closer to the end. I need to realize it's always the quiet ones. I thought the actor playing Clive was great, and I enjoyed seeing Paula Marshall.

No Brass in this one. :( But I did enjoy seeing Vartann. And the jack-of-all-trades Henry.
I liked the Greg/Morgan scenes, and thought her scene with Hodges was funny.
I wasn't crazy about Finn in this one... again; still a little too flippant, which often seems forced and out of place to me.
I suspect GE was busy with the finale filming so he got little screen time, but I liked his opening scene with DB.
And I thought DB was great throughout.

All in all, a very good episode. A 9/10 from me, mostly for all the Jorja goodness. :)

I liked seeing Sara again in more of an active role. But I still have no idea what the case or crime was....got really distracted and bored.

Seems like Ecklie and Hodges mom really are seeing each other. :lol: Good for them! And from Morgan's reaction to being quizzed about dating the guys...I wouldn't be surprised if she and Hodges do end up together. :)

I really liked this one, probably my favourite one since Elisabeth Shue came on board.

Whereas I got bored in the last case, this one was pretty good and kept me interested throughout without overloading the viewers with unnecessary twists and turns. I'm just sad all the forensics and crime scene investigating they were doing at the beginning of the episode turned into profiling and police work. :shifty:

This one had some really awesome character moments as well. Loved Sara/Greg working together, Finn/Morgan's scene was really funny. Loved the Finn/Henry scene. "You love fantasy films?" I really like those two together and I have to say I think I've warmed up to Finn now. I'd still prefer Catherine but it's nice they haven't gone too overboard with her character now.

Sara/DB were really great together! I love how they look out for each other, DB to Sara in "Bittersweet", Sara to DB in "Tressed to Kill" and so it's good to see their working relationship in this one. The scene where DB opened up about his cousin and the final scene with the two in his office were really well done. Big smiles for continuity as well!

Screentime was pretty well balanced, I feel Vartann could have been used for if Brass wasn't to be in it and it seems that Nick's had some time off after his large presence last episode and
he'll probably have a lot next week too.

I know this belongs in the Shipper forum, but I don't think I like Morgan/Hodges as a couple that much, I see them better as bantering co-workers and I found that side-plot in "Malice and Wonderland" was irritating.

ETA: Am I right in thinking SuperDave's wife is expecting? I missed the start of the conversation but that's the first thought which crossed my mind.

Errm... overall a good episode in my opinion. Sad that there's only one more left in the season as it's been really good and a massive improvement of the past four or five. :)

My rating: 8.1/10 (very good)

Last edited:
First off, ship talk is allowed in a thread if it is canon or pertains to the episode, which in this case it does. :)

Secondly, no....Super Dave and Mrs. Super are not expecting...never too early to plan or just in case....something like that is what he said.

Back