'CSI Unplugged' Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Actually, the medium used to work with the dad and was obsessed and in love with him. She was trying to "become" the wife, all the way to her death.

I thought of "Gumdrops" too. :)

The lack of lights was wearing on me. :lol: Thought it was okay...not great. Didn't care much for the dad. Could have used more Nick. Loved Morgan, Hodges, and Henry. :)

2. IamRed

IamRed Victim

This is my first time posting...so here goes.

I liked this episode. Finn was toned down a lot from the previous two episodes. Her and Brass assuming the father did it and the kid was dead was a little grating.

Poor Henry. Stuck in an elevator with Hodges all night when he didn't even hold the door for him in the beginning. I really want to know Hodges did to Morgan.

When they first showed the table in the father's house with the candles and mortar/pestle I knew some weird "magical" stuff was going to be thrown in. And they didn't notice the pentagram on the knife either. Clearly the CSIs have never seen Charmed.:lol:

Finn: Are you communing with the stars?
    DB: No, my phone is communing with the charger.

Loved Nick and Sara being the ones to find Harper.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Except for more DB, it seemed fairly well balanced for the other characters.
    Finn was a little better. For someone who is suppose to be cynical, she still seems to smile a lot. LOL
    Liked DB's 'Are you in high school remark?'. :lol:
    Liked Super Dave's giant 'lava lamp' invention.
    Greg and Morgan were cute together.
    Hodges and Henry were funny.
    Brass was his adorable snarky self, 'Yeah, I get that a lot.'
    I didn't think of Gumdrops, but I did think of No Humans Involved when Nick and Sara found the boy.
    A decent amount of Sara (yay!); and I loved her smile seeing Harper at the end. :) And, of course the hug. :adore: I wished Sara and Nick were the ones who took him home at the end, but I guess it is the DB/Finn show now.
    I figured it was between the mother-in-law and the medium. I was glad the father wasn't involved; although, I have to say, I didn't think the actor who played him was very good.
    I expected there to be more about the blackout itself, maybe a little widespread panic or looting or something, but I guess there wasn't time.
    Still, a good ep. I give it 8.5/10.

ETA: I have to say I was mildly offended when Greg said 'ancient'; I have a microscope like that! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

No she didn't. The poster in the house was of the medium and red hat man

5. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Def seems like there is a case in Finn's past where she had her hopes up..only to have them dashed at the end.

6. Smokey

I thought the same thing...like, Sara and Nick had the kid and then how and why did he somehow get to Finn? (by the way...not liking that nickname....sounds awkward when they say it...not natural)

Same here...I don't know if it was the acting or if it was the weird character he was playing, but I didn't like him from the beginning. Even at the end I had trouble believing he really cared that much about his wife or son.

What I liked about it was seeing the "old school" methods...how things were done before all of the technology that they have today. Although, I doubt if any of it would have stood up in court today. ;)

7. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

I loved Nick and Sara working together, and wish they were the ones who brought Harper to his father since they were the ones that found him, not Finn. I also loved Nick and Brass working together.

It had some funny moments, which was good. And I liked how we got to see some foresenics work again.

8. Smokey

Oops! Yeah, you're right. She used to work with her partner in crime, Trevor. But then she had the wall covered in TC and Natalie stuff where she was obsessed with him and thought she was the wife.

9. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I had forgotten about Gum Drops, but yeah there are similarities

Also liked Super Dave and the lap, reminded me of Grissom

10. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Thought the episode was alright. Nothing spectacular, but it was interesting seeing them have to resort to the whole "old school" ways in order to solve the case.

Of course Henry and Hodges made me laugh. But then, when they are together it always seems to be comical.

Yeah, that went through my mind as well. :lol:

I also thought the scene with Greg and Morgan running the tests in the lab was kinda neat too. They certainly seem to work well together.

I know they often use certain houses/sets over, but the entrance to the house (when DB and Finn first walked in) reminded me of the house used back in the 'Appendicitment' episode. I could be wrong, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

As for the rest of the episode? Well, the comments that were already made here basically sums up what I thought as well.. No need to repeat them :p

overall....I'd probably give it a 7.5 outta 10.

11. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

So I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with this episode. I guess I had my hopes too high for it. It was still better than the last two episodes but once again it featured a bit too much of DB and Finn only. There was a decent amount of Nick and Sara featured, but once again Greg is relegated to mostly lab work and on only briefly.

I really miss the two case episodes, it gave a chance for everyone to be on more. They started this season off so well with doing that but it seems to have gone back to one case per episode again, which I really don't care for.

Finn was more likeable this week. It was kind of nice to see her proven wrong in a lot of how she figured the case would go.

I'd give this episode a B.

12. Dark CSI

Dark CSI Hit and Run

Not a great episode despite the interesting premise. I did like the lab stuff; Morgan and Greg trying to process the evidence without power (nice interaction between them both), Hodges and Henry in the elevator was too funny and I thought it was nicely highlighted how much Greg has grown as a CSI by his giving advice to Morgan. Also (and this is a big plus), Finn was for more palatable in this episode! I didn't find her half so OTT so I'm willing to give her a chance if they keep her dialled down. For the most part though, I thought this episode was more miss than hit.

13. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I actually really liked the episode, mainly because I loved the "old school" forensics and it was something a little more outside the box. But it was good to get back to an episode dedicated a bit more to the science more than anything.

I'm still a little unsure about Finn, which is now getting a bit worrying because I thought I'd have an opinion by now, but I liked how they toned her down a little this time and that she was wrong. Although why did we have to have yet another blood evidence type case, that seemed a bit like they're trying to force her down our throats a little. Saying that, I feel the screentime on the whole was pretty balanced albeit with a little more DB. Which I can live with, I really like him!

I didn't think the case was too shabby either, I quite liked the interesting supernatural aspect, reminded me of "Spellbound" a little. I was hoping they'd show us a bit more of the effects of a blackout on the city but I guess the writers wanted to put that as a backdrop more than anything. I quite liked the different lighting effect as a one-off episode only. Surreal, but pretty cool too.

Lots of nice moments from this episode as well:

- Super Dave and the lamp was pretty cool, reminded me of one of those quirky little experiments that Grissom would do in the earlier seasons. :)

- Hodges and Henry in the elevator were hilarious. :lol: The two of them really act like schoolchildren together and I reckon Wally and Jon had a great time filming those scenes.

- I liked Greg and Morgan's scenes together, but I'd like them to be working with other people in future episodes.

-Nick and Sara also work really well together but I felt they were a bit underused in this one. Sara finding the boy reminded me strongly of "No Humans Involved".

- Brass was on top-form in the interrogation room, but seemed to be a bit of a Mr Negative throughout the episode. Of all the characters on the show who I think need an upcoming character-centric episode I think it should be him.

The only part I didn't like was Finn giving the child to the father instead of Nick and Sara.

The scene at the end with DB and Finn standing by the car made me think how much of a reboot the show has made this season, sort of like a CSI 2.0, only retaining a lot of the original characters. And you know what, I'm really liking this new show. Whilst I doubt it'll ever be up to the standard of the first five seasons I'm happy that I'm tuning back in to watch "murder of the week" and not just a group of characters I really like. I can understand how people are annoyed that the original characters are getting pushed to the background a bit, but I have to say I've never enjoyed the show as much as I am at the moment and I'll certainly take this CSI 2.0 show over the GSR show or the Ray Langston show any day of the week.

On the whole, I really enjoyed this one and I'm a little surprised I guess at the lukewarm reception for this one seeing as I felt this one has captured the forensics essence of the show more than any episode has for the last few seasons. :)

My rating for CSI Unplugged: 8.3/10 (very good)

14. ~fox~

~fox~ Hit and Run

I agree with so much of what you wrote, especially this. It should have been them...at least Sara.

The more I watch these new episodes since Finn came, the more I see her as a superfluous character. It should have been Jorja who became the female "lead." She's more than capable, plays very well with DB, and sure as heck has earned it.

I love Morgan, love DB, I even like Finn....but it's just too many new characters at the expense of the steadfast, interesting, beloved "old" characters. It's hard to see them playing second fiddle in a way and being almost sidelined just to prop Finn. I just don't need her in the spotlight...maybe she just should have been a recurring character they bring in for the special blood cases.

I want to see more of the characters I already love and get to know them even more. I don't want to see caricatures of them as token appearances.

Sorry....vent over! :(

15. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

I have been wondering what this "Unplugged" means, that they have attached to CSI Vegas. Can somebody expain it to me so I will understand. Ms. Finnley come on new on the team is great. Smart Lady. I like her, go get them bad people!

Peace!