Grade 'Brooklyn 'Til I Die'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Feb 3, 2012.

?

How would you grade Brooklyn 'Til I Die?

1. A+

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macandjogirl

macandjogirl Victim

I give it an A. Enjoyed the setup and the son's involvement to basically save himself.

Seriously, Mac is always so damn panic stricken when Jo is visibly fine after stuff -- I never get that.

Christine herself is fine -- the actress is okay (even if I can't get "Ever After" out of my head) and they had an okay vibe, but I personally hate that she's tied to his past with Claire. If she'd only known Mac, I'd be fine with that, but I really, really can't get behind the idea that his possibly happy future is tied to his past with Claire. It's a little too romance novel for me.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I missed Adam in this episode.

Best line of the episode goes to: (drumroll, please): SID! With this:

Sid (to Sheldon): Are you a T-man or an A-man?

(lol at Sheldon's expression)

Sid: Toes or Ankles? :guffaw:

--

Loved Lindsay calling Danny and Sheldon "Cagney and Lacey" LOL.

Don: A friend of mine jogs in her bare feet. She keeps asking me to join her. I don't think so.

The squeaky toy gun made me chuckle.

I knew as soon as they showed that little box that it would be a finger.

The mother of the criminals doesn't wake up when one son yells at her to stop snoring, but she wakes up when the FBI guy turns off the tv? Weird lol.

Christine seems nice and there did seem to be some chemistry between her and Mac.

Not a bad episode. I gave it a B-.

3. Grindigo

Grindigo Dead on Arrival

I quite liked the episode. Some good character moments in there, and not too many which is a great thing. Missing Adam though. :C
    I liked how Lindsay wasn't used as some overdone lab tech.

The case I thought was interesting, quite relatable (not to myself, but I've always found that a good thing) too. I had myself guessing every quite a few of the outcomes around halfway through the episode.
    What they did with the 'game' involved in the case reminded me of an episode from a while back, can't quite remember the name of it though.

The storyline with Mac's love interest didn't really bother me too much. Being a teenage boy love stories have always bored me anyway. It's not really something I'd like to see develop much further, especially between two middle aged folk. I did quite like Christine's character and she had good chemistry with Mac, but the vibe I'm getting about the two seems very mellow and slow. I hope it isn't stretched out like I've seen with some storylines on TV. :/

It was a cleverly put together episode IMO, although some parts of the episode seemed a little empty (probably my need for Adam and background music :p). The overall vibe I got from the episode was a little slow, but it was good nonetheless. Giving the ep. a B. :D

4. PHANTOMERIK

PHANTOMERIK Dead on Arrival

Don't ike or want Christine and I can't see anyy reason for her to be here haven't we had enough stupid every woman who crosses Mac's path must automatically be his love interest stories by now? Unless I'm very much mistaken didn't Stella at least know Claire and know her well take a look at the first series particularly Officer Blue and the final episode and you'll see what I mean. I also think both Danny and Flac knew Claire too didn't they? I'll say this loud and clear for even the dimmest TPTB STELLA GOOD ANYBODY OR ANYTHING ELSE BAD there that should be simple enough shouldn't it? After all Christine pleases no-one the Smacked fans don't want her period (like it or not there are millions of us out here) and everybody else hates all the moaning that accompanies her story line so what on earth is Ms Veasey thinking of?It'sno suprise at all that the ratings have dropped yet again is it and at this rate the only thing left to do is see how low they can go.

5. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Okay so I like the way they have softened Mac in the last few seasons, I put this down to a lot of Sela's influence in the show. I seriously love her, she is amazing. I also like the fact that Mac HAS interests outrside of work and we see them more frequently.

Overall, a realy solid episode, great casting and direction. Shame no Adam, but there's only so many "Word-up" and retro-goofeyness I can take, but he is a great character though.

A - Throughly enjoyed and re-watched.

6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

*headdesk* Not again... seriously, can't you get over this?

The. show. has. moved. on.

Get over it.

I wasn't going to bother posting a review, not because I didn't think the episode was good, I really liked it and gave it an 'A', but because I didn't feel like justifying Mac and Christine's meeting and background and interaction. But seriously, " After all Christine pleases no-one"? That is clearly not true if you've read this thread. First off, not everyone even cares if Mac is in a relationship or not, let alone who it's with, let alone those of us who actually liked her.

And, "and everybody else hates all the moaning that accompanies her story line"? What? Really? You thought that her telling Mac she was sorry that Claire died was moaning? Or that obviously her brother was killed somehow that she didn't even talk about is moaning? Referencing a 'music playing and beers flowing' trip to Myrtle Beach is moaning? :rolleyes:

And you can't even spell "Flack" right. Not to mention that no, Danny most certainly did not know Claire as Mac hired him, and Mac did not become head of the crime until after 9/11. And Flack... maybe he did, we're never told when he and Mac became friends. And who cares if Stella knew Claire. And here's a point I wanted to make anyway...
    Claire is not the reason or the catalyst that Mac and Christine know each other. Christine's brother is. He and Mac happened to be partners and went to the academy together. Christine simply happened to know Claire by proxy that her brother worked and was friends with Mac. And I think it's really cool that she is connected to Mac's past but isn't directly connected to Claire. Because I agree, that would be too romancy novel-ish for me...:p So yeah, the fact that Stella knew Claire.... so what.

And that's all I'm going to say about SMACKED IS THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD EVER HAPPEN.

And now for the ep itself. I really liked. Yes, I missed Adam in it :( But the case kept me engaged all the way to the end, which is actually pretty unusual. At first I thought the kid's father had orchestrated his kidnapping just so he could ransom him and somehow "prove" something. But that theory was dashed when he refused to pay the ransom. Then I thought the kid had staged his own kidnapping in order to get back at his father, which I guess turned out partially true in the end. He didn't set the whole thing up, but he told his kidnappers everything they needed to know. I felt so sad for him and his feeling of utter hopelessness with what how his father treated him, and once again, in the worst situation possible, proved him right. :(

I burst out laughing at Sid asking Hawkes if he was a T-man or an A-man :guffaw:

I also loved how much Mac and Flack worked together on this case. And Mac slamming the fat guy into the gambling table before either of them knew the situation was awesome!

And I have to say it, I adored Jo's outfit, and seriously want to steal it :lol:

Once again, I was shocked that I wasn't annoyed by Lindsey! I keep almost trying or at least expecting to be, and of late I can't be. She actually kind of reminds me of s2 Lindsey who could pull off scenes of non-lab stuff.

As for Mac and Christine, as much as I want to see to Mac happy and with someone who makes him happy, I'm intrinsically skeptical of any 'love interest' they bring up for him. In part it's because of all of the hype they've brought to past rumours, and because I don't trust the writers not to make it totally contrived and completely unrealistic. But I ended up really liking her and how she interacted with Mac. Their meeting wasn't laced with obvious romantic overtones, but rather came across as two friends meeting up after years of being out of touch.
    ^ Completely agree with this. Plus, for the first time, because Christine knew them before Claire died, and didn't even know that she had until she read the article about the Wall of Remembrance, for the first time in the show I could picture Mac and Claire together before any concept of her death. It suddenly made their relationship 'real', if you know what I mean. And I liked how Christine simply accepted where both of them were in their lives, unlike with say Peyton.
    This I do have to disagree with. Just because he doesn't come across as needing a woman in a physical sense (although there are multiple scenes where it's so obvious he's a guy :lol:), he does have a deep need for someone to come home to, to understand him, someone to share the burden of everything he carries. I mean, just look at 'Exit Strategy'! Even though he's clearly good friends with Flack and Jo, it's not the same as sharing his life with someone, and that he does have a deep and obvious need for. I see potential for that with Christine, and simply want that weary, haunted look and exhaustion relieved from Mac.

So to reiterate, I gave it an 'A' :)

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Gave it a B. Found it ok and interesting but kind of cliché at times. The severed finger, the bad guy who gets through, the game that goes very wrong, etc. It reminded me a bit of the movie Ransom and somehow kept expecting Gary to be the bad guy lol (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about).

About Christine, meh. I admit I'm not exactly objective cause I like Mac and Jo but I just found them so slooow paaaced. I was even confused at times at what exactly was going on. Anyway, wasn't really impressed with the newest love interest.

8. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

During the flashback when Mac was in the patrol car with Christine's brother, was he digitally altered like he was in episode 6.02 "Blacklist (Featuring Gravedigger)"? He looked different, younger.

9. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Actually, there was a feature on that which is on the 6th season DVD.

Yeah, he was digitally altered in that scene.

10. macandjogirl

macandjogirl Victim

11. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Did she ever actually say that she actually personally knew Claire? If not, isn't is possible that she only knew OF Claire because she knew Mac through her brother and he may have spoken about his wife?

13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Call me hard hearted, but I had little to no sympathy for the son. aww, the poor little rich kid who dislikes his daddy but has no problem spending his cash to impress a date. Meh.

14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

I'd love to rate the episode or even comment on it because I wanted to "meet" Mac's new potential love interest, but, unfortunately, Comcast "forgot" to load this episode into their On Demand menu. When I tried to ask about it, I was told their email comment site was not working and that the person I talked to would let the appropriate people know there was a problem, but, sorry I couldn't contact them directly. I'm still waiting for that "feedback"!!! Guess I made the wrong decision when I chose to watch NBC's Grimm live and wait a few hours (the usual CSI On Demand arrival time frame) for this episode. I guess I know which I'll watch live next week. Good thing we're not a Neilsen family because NBC (now a Comcast subsidiary?) would be in trouble from now on; I'll be watching CBS live next Friday because Grimm was up and running On Demand within 24 hours. The thing that upset me most was that Comcast gave me no way to complain, yet I pay them a great deal of money for cable and internet. Rant over.

I guess I can watch the episode on the internet, but it's just not the same as on a 55" screen... I'll join this discussion whenever I get the chance to see the episode.

15. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

My apologies for being unclear and combining my overall point into one broad application. Basically I was trying to say that the fact that anybody Mac might end up who knew Claire was irrelevant in my opinion, whether you want to use it as a positive or negative thing. I probably should have clarified at the time. :(

I can more see it from your point of view as a negative thing, but I got the impression that Christine and Claire didn't really know each other beyond that their respective husband and brother worked with each other. Rather like I've "known" my husband's partners and their spouses/girlfriends (and I know Christine was Mac's partner's brother, but I got the impression they shared an apartment...?) at work (we're both medics). I'm a bit inclined to agree with GregNickRyanFan:
    While it seems all four of them hung out on occasion and I got the impression that they were all at Myrtle Beach, that pic Christine sent him didn't have Claire in it. I think it was more Mac and her brother who hung out, and sometimes either Claire or Christine or I'm sure occasionally all four got together. Plus, I know a couple people mentioned how the whole thing felt slow, but I think that's in large part because this whole thing has been hyped as "Mac's next love interest", and so the general expectation was 'romance'. But personally, I like the more realistic approach they've taken of two people who used to know each other getting back in touch with no expectations. It doesn't feel as contrived. And I think that also kind of addresses your point of it feeling as if they're setting up an "innate competition". Plus don't forget, Peyton never knew Mac when he was still married, and if there was anybody who came across as 'competing' with Claire and trying to 'fill the role', it was her. To me, the genuine sadness in Christine's voice when she mentioned Claire's passing to Mac made me think that anything she knew about the closeness of their relationship only made her come across as more understanding than someone who didn't know the two of them. But that's just my perspective.