"Genetic Disorder" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I don't think tippy was bashing and let's be honest here, I'm sure similar things were said when Gum Drops aired

2. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

I don't remember if anybody said that they didn't notice Grissom was gone. I can't imagine that it would be said because Grissom was all kinds of awesome. I do know that people were glad that it wasn't the GSR episode it was supposed to be, but that's a storyline, not a character.

From what I've read, Catherine wasn't in that much either. That kind of annoys me because she's going to be gone soon and I'm going to miss her. I really hope to see a lot of her before she's gone for good.

3. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

I loved this episode, this is what A Kiss Before Frying should have been, in my opinion. Greg's scenes with the geneologist were great, and his interractions with Hodges were classic! Loved his quip about Hodges' foreplay not counting if he's on his own. :lol:

The fact that this was supposed to be about Nick and was changed at the last minute is a credit to how versatile Eric Szmanda is, he did a great job. And I think it worked better, what with him being a history nerd and all.

The implication about how he's never had a serious relationship (and thus doesn't know the side-of-the-bed rules) just made me go awww too!

A friend did mention that it was funny how Mrs Robbins had the Doc in her phone as "Doc Robbins" and not "Al" which is true enough, it was a bit weird that she calls him "Doc Robbins" don't you think? And I'm a bit disappointed with the direction their taking Brass, though-- he used to have some great lines and now he seems to just be angry and defensive all the time. Bah.

But the only thing I don't like is the character bashing in this thread-- each character has their moments, and nobody should be dissing that fact when they don't see theirs, you know? Swings and roundabouts, people.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

She probably calls him "Doc" as a nickname like Danny on NY calls Sheldon "Doc" because he used to be a coroner.

5. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

That Greg got Nick's part was really clear to see, IMO. It was as if it was Nick in Gregs body :lol:

Greg is much too serious now, IMO. When he was the always smiling labrat he was much more fun to watch... now he is kinda boring and seems to be more like a copy of other characters. I wish he wouldn't have lost his humorous side...it's what made him unique.

I liked the ep, especially the Doc scenes... Robert David Hall did such a great job in this one.

I'm really surprised by the lack of Cath in this one. Everyone is prepared for her exit and wants to see her final episodes, maybe that's why the ratings of this ep were that high...

Damn, now we have to wait so long for the next new ep :(

6. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

*sigh*

7. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

I'm liking that this is a Doc Robbins-centric episode, and I like that his name crediting has been updated, perhaps for this episode?? Hopefully, the other old cast members get an update as well, maybe it's for preparation once Elisabeth Shue steps in.

At first, when I saw Mrs. Robbins, I thought that it was a middle-aged family member or a daughter of Doc's. Man, Bruckheimer's crew has a habit of casting ladies who seem younger than their characters are supposed to be, like in Cold Case episodes. I don't at all know Mrs. Robbins' age. But, it actually worked with her and Doc.

I was a little bothered by how the crime scene turned out, with the victim being in the Robbins' bed like that. Bothered thinking that Mrs. Robbins would do something like that. But, I'm also bothered that they made Doc a cheater, too? Hopefully, they don't make D.B. a cheater as well.

While I applaud Brass for trying to bat for the Doc, he did seemed a bit harsh to Mrs. Robbins and it did screamed out "double standards" to me, especially for Doc's case. It looks like Brass won't be having some of the Robbins' strawberry-rhubarb pie for a long time.

I thought for sure that Doc would somehow lose it throughout this episode, since I've seen him fly off, especially with Super Dave. But, he was really restrained and sweet throughout. And I'm liking the end part with his loving wife.

Not a bad house Doc has. But, I could do without the marble sink since it's too 1990s or something.The eyesore-inducing snakeskin look just doesn't appeal to me. As for the condoms hidden, that was pretty odd.

I hope that this would be the last case of incest storyline since I've stomached enough of it in Vegas, especially one involving Dakota Fanning's character, which I find disappointing when the CSIs don't have any reaction to it, compared to the girl who ran off with her father and son/nephew. Brass did looked like he wanted to eviscerate the father, thinking that he impregnated the daughter. No more incest storylines, please!

And Hojem-Sanders being in charge = NICE! With Super Dave, Henry, and Hodges. If Hojem-Sanders keeps up that way and not have any distraction, he could very well be promoted. D.B. yelling = LMAO! And Henry grabbing Hojem-Sanders like that = Crazy! I'm liking that Greg Hojem-Sanders gets a big part here, too. Especially when it's much-needed without Gil telling Greg not to continue on about Olaf. I wonder if Bill Petersen still produces CSI, with D.B. Russell (Cousins co-star Ted Danson) being in charge.

Overall, this gets a B-.

8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I think it was very much Greg acting like Greg. Greg is not that 25 year old lab rat anymore. He is a grown, mature 36 year old man.

And I am not sure we are watching the same show, he still very much has his humorous side but he keeps it more in check now. When he was a lab rat he would sometimes joke around during inappropriate moments. I don't think I would like Greg as much if he had not matured the way he has.

9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I didn't mean he lost his humour completely but it's gotten rare. It's kinda sad because his joking scenes were fun to watch but the CSI Greg is not so much, IMO. Sad though. He was special back then but now he is just one of the CSI's with no special side or character trait... in my opinion. I'm sure no Greg fan on this side here agrees with me which is fine ;)

10. CgrGrl

CgrGrl Witness

I think people are misunderstanding what is irritating me about this whole thing. I'm not upset in the least that Nick wasn't in this episode. I'm not upset that Greg took Nick's part. They needed to change the episode overnight and that had to be a very tough job. Kudos to them all for pulling it off. It shows the high quality of this show and everybody involved.

What set me off was the line in this thread that was made by a poster that he/she said that Nick and Sara being gone can only be good for Greg. If Nick wasn't going to be in it anyway, it wouldn't have mattered. But, knowing that he wasn't in it because of a family tragedy and then somebody gleefully posting about it seemed very insensitive to me. It could be because my emotions are already raw because I lost a very close friend suddenly the day before George lost his father. Had those two events not happened so close to each other, I probably would have stayed quiet like I usually do. But, I snapped. Being overly excited that a fictional character will benefit from the personal loss of a real life person is in bad taste. I'm truly hoping that those who were excited didn't know the circumstances that led to Greg taking the lead.

11. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

After reading the interview I have to say I was surprised to learn that the genealogy lines were originally written for Nick. I kept thinking throughout the episode that the genealogy stuff was perfect for Greg because it went with how much he liked history. So I thought that at least those parts had been originally meant for Greg and the case related stuff for Nick.

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm sorry for your loss, as well as for GE's, but I think you are taking this way too personal. If I've learned anything on fan sites it's that you have to separate RL from fiction; what happens behind the scenes from what happens on the show. And, believe me, that's been a hard lesson for me to learn, and I still don't always practice what I preach. :) Whether you like a character or not, I don't think anyone here would diss any of the actors personally; at least I haven't seen that recently. And I don't think anyone here is insensitive to George's situation.
    GE stepped in for WP when Billy lost his nephew back during Gumdrops and Nick fans celebrate that as one of Nick's preeminent episodes. It's easy to see the parallels in that situation to this one. And, I think it's okay for Greg fans to applaud this as one of Greg's finest.

IMO the success of this episode, and CSI as a whole, lies with the writers. Liz made it work, as did Sarah Goldfinger back on Gumdrops. We all know that any one of the actors can step up; it's why they are successful and why we, their fans, are here.

As for Greg, I'm enjoying the more mature side of him. With the nature of the job and the fact that he is 12 years older than when he started, I can't imagine he could realistically not evolve to some degree. Kudos to Eric for pulling it off. He delivers the humor when needed, but he also sees first hand the grizzly details of his job and reacts appropriately. The 'old' Greg was cute, but silly; the 'new' more mature Greg is not only cute, but pretty darn irresistable. A balance of fun, geekiness, and seriousness.
    Besides, Henry and Hodges have taken on the more 'silly' lab rat roles; and they have stepped up to the plate admirably. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  13. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

This was really good, definitely one of my faves this season. I didn't expect Greg to lead the case in this episode, even when they hinted how much screen time he would get in the previews, and he did a fantastic job :bolian:! I'm glad he stayed neutral on the case; and I also enjoyed seeing his more mature and serious side when it came to investigating (really showed how much he's grown as a character for the past 12 years) but at the same time, even though it was subtle and only in a couple scenes, we got to see his light-hearted geeky side as well, which is always fun to watch, when it came to the geneology stuff :). I especially enjoyed his scenes with the geneologist, the whole history thing suits his character, and it was great to learn more about his family :) that was definitely another nice surprise :hugegrin:. His scenes with Henry were great too :lol:, and seeing him intimidated by D.B. made me go "awwww".

We got to look into Doc's personal life, which was awesome, not to mention they have a nice house :)! awww I loved that hug scene between Super Dave and Doc, they have such a great relationship;
    "Dave has been asking me every 5 minutes". :lol:
    that was such a cute, sweet scene at the end between him and Judy, when she gave him that family tree and all; and of course how could you forget the kissing scene :):)! Doc Robbin's had an affair :eek:? that was unexpected, I really didn't know how to feel about that.

Morgan had a decent amount of screen time and she was also open minded about the case, which was nice:). I wish we had more Catherine, but at least she had some good scenes with Greg and Doc Robbins especially, sharing her experience of being cheated on; she would definitely understand that of all people. Brass knows what it's like too, but I still thought he was being unfair to Judy Robbins, and when he tried to convince Doc that she was possibly having an affair......I don't know, somehow he sounded a little more harsh than supportive towards Al. Well, at least he admitted his mistake and apologized at the end.

wow, the outcome was kinda twisted in a sick way; the mother looked creepy, and the killer, despite what he went through, had no good reason to take his anger out on the geneologist guy (can't remember his name), the poor man was just doing his job.

I did miss Sara (even though I knew she wasn't going to be in this episode ) and Nick, but they still made it a solid episode nonetheless:D!.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  14. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I felt the same way - I was surprised to learn that it was originally meant for Nick. That's not to say that Nick couldn't have an interest in his family history, but with Greg we've already been shown that he does know some of the stories - and we as viewers have already "met" his family, so it gives us more to connect to, hearing more about where "Papa Olaf" came from.

It does indeed seem like a very similar situation (from what I know, given that I wasn't actually watching back when Gum Drops first aired). I know that when I watched Gum Drops, a few of the lines sounded more like Grissom - but it was still a great episode. They both are - the writers/actors make it work, despite unforeseen circumstances, and that's part of what makes it a great show, I think. :)

15. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

I really liked this one. This is the third time I've said this so far this year, but I think this is my new favourite episode of the season.

We finally get to see the elusive Mrs Robbins and it was really great to see Al Robbins: husband as opposed to Doc Robbins: coroner for a change. Robert did a fantastic job and it's about time he got an episode dedicated to him after all these years! Loved that we got to see a bit of his prosthetics again and I thought the relationship he and Judy have is adorable and I really liked the last scene. I was surprised about the revelation that Doc had an affair though, I'm not too sure what to think of that.

Another point I liked about the episode was that although it involved a family member or personal connection to someone on the team, they didn't actually have anything to do with it and it turned out to a 'wrong place, wrong time' situation.

Also it was a fantastic episode for Greg and in my opinion, it really shows how much the character has developed since the beginning. I too was surprised when it appeared that Nick was supposed to be having the genealogy lesson in this episode, but I'm pleased that it looked like Greg was going to be the 'doubting Tom' anyway which would have advanced his character more. It's just a shame we didn't get to see some family information on Nick in the end, as that hasn't really been explored much yet.

On the other hand I didn't really like how Brass was portrayed in this one. Whilst I guess there needs to be the alternative view, I think he went a little too far. Is it just me or has Brass been acting a bit more of an asshole more in this season? Could they be setting up for something later? At least he apologised to Doc Robbins at the end, although I'd have liked to have seen one given to Mrs Robbins.

I have to say Hodges REALLY irritated me in this one. Sure enough it was in jest, but there were several moments I really wanted to jump into the screen and give him a smack. Making some of those remarks in an 'average joe's' affair seems pretty crude itself, but I was shocked he was saying stuff like that towards someone he personally knew!

Not a lot of Catherine in this one, but that was kind of expected and I liked the small scenes she had. Similarly I'm glad DB took a backseat in this episode. However some more Sara, Morgan and Nick would be nice sometime in the future please!

This one gets a solid A from me. I look forward to watching it a second time. The only disappointing thing now is having to wait until January 19th (I get it a day later) for a new episode. :(