Elements of Style: Grammar Errata and Other Resources

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by midnight_tiptoes, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

daisymay - The term is sort of familiar, but I don't think it's everyday usage here (Canada, so we're a weird mix of American and British English). I think the more likely alternative would just be "smothered with care."

GNRFan - yes, -ise (vs -ize) is a valid British English spelling (so used in most of the Commonwealth countries, and probably others). We also spell a lot of -or words with -our (colour, neighbour, favourite, etc).

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Thanks, Raynn. :)

3. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Ok I'm here first time ever. Usually I try to deal with grammatic stuff on my own like I used to do during my school years.
    I'm not using any kind of English in my everyday use (except forums and overall web). My native language is completely different. I was taught British English (according to teacher and books) but I'm more liking American kind (mostly because of speech and accent. thankfully they used cd on exam because on cassette it'd be horrible and I wouldn't get the text (my hearing sometimes has problem to understand speech))

So now I'm kinda wondering about few things I'm trying to sort out.

First thing is word 'tyre/tyres' I'm not sure how is the correct spelling in plural. I've seen some people writing 'tire/tires' I'm using my phone's t9 for typing anything so I can use what's given (both variants are aviable on my t9 version).

Other thing I'm wondering is the correct spelling of 'realise/realize' Which one's right, or both? T9 takes both but I'm kinda confused by which is the adequate usage.

Ok I'm just wondering since I'm writing a lot and I want everything correct

4. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

BlueDiamondStar - Tyre (I believe the plural is tyres) is British spelling; Tire/tires is American (and Canadian, in this case).

Realise is chiefly British, while realize is more American, but if I understand correctly, there are people who spell it both ways in most countries.

If you are writing fanfics for American shows like CSI, it's best to stick to American spelling (and phrasing) as much as possible - many readers, even if they understand and accept British/international spelling and colloquialisms, find them jarring in a story set in the US.

5. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Thank you very much Raynn:) I do write CSI related fics. Though not much had read them (at least haven't reviewed).

In my country everyone sticks to British English (learning books definately). So I'm taking books in English from library to at least catch up what I didn't manage at school.
    My phone t9 has both versions but most specific words needs to be added.
    My teacher though said that I'd handling pretty well and I'd be able to travel to English speaking countries.
    I wish I could turn back time though, I'd start writing fics and reading English, because I feel I'm much knowledgeable now then I was during school.
    And finally I start understand phrases and some other grammar stuff I couldn't get. I guess reading tons of fanfictions has helped me (even if writers weren't native in English). For me, not having English as my native language, it makes me very grammaticly-careful. I always try write correct.

6. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Thank you those who have advised on my American English v English English question - it came up in a story set in California, so I don't like overtly English expressions creeping in. (Although in this case, it's a 'for my eyes only' story.)

7. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

As a reader, I definitely appreciate when writers take the trouble to consider localized language. Although I understand quite a bit of British and Aussie expressions, they're definitely jarring to find in a story set in the US. So thank you, even if we'll never see this particular story. :)

8. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

American usage query

Engish person's query again - like to try to get terminology right...

What do you call the guy who parks your car for you at a hotel? Is he a valet?

Do you refer in general terms to poor countries as 'Third World'?

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Re: American usage query

yes he would be a 'Valet'

and yup I think we do refer to the poor countries as the 'Third World'. Others may have a different opinion but that is mine :)

10. GregNickRyanFan

I moved the two posts above to this thread here. I forgot to leave a redirect. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  11. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Apology for posting in the wrong place...
    And thanks for the answer - I'm well aware that 'English-isms' will creep into my writing, but I try to keep them to a minimum, and you folk help me a lot.

12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Although I don't read that much fan fiction anymore I do enjoy stories that have 'English-isms' in them. I do realize that when your dealing with a US based story it can be difficult though.

13. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Um.. A totally stupid question language related but I just want to know the right word.
    So, I want to know what is the term/name of "crossed" stripes graphic (actually the ornament on Ryan's jacket in Special Delivery and on his shirt in s9 finale/s10 premiere).
    I hope you caught the drift. Kinda dunno how to describe what I want to know.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Do you have a screencap? Cause I don't remember what the emblem on his jacket was.

15. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Um not at hand but I'll find one tomorrow maybe when I'll be seeking new caps and have access to pc.