Grade 'Cavallino Rampante'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 8, 2011.

?

How would you grade 'Cavallino Rampante'?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

A strong episode, loved Jo & Adam's interaction, as always. I think Danny was being a little hard on the rookie, I mean, she did arrest somebody who was committing a crime, she was doing her job.

None of this seasons episodes have been brilliant in every aspect, this was great with the banter, the story-line didn't engross me though, so I'm only giving it a B+

2. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I had really low expectations for this episode because fancy car thieves bore me to tears, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I think that the creepy bad guy (not in person but in pics) and how bad he was gave it a little twist I was not expecting. I was actually thinking he wasn't gonna get caught because those types of baddies are usually used for longer story arcs.

Mac and Jo were adorable in this episode. They have a very natural, familiar, and comfortable air about them. The scene were he kicked her leg followed by Adam throwing away the key was really enjoyable.

Yeah I didn't quite get why he got so mad.

That was definitely an eye rolling moment for me :lol:

Gave it an A-.

3. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Very good episode overall, especially the second half when they revealed about this notorious Janos.

I was just annoyed by all the Mac-has-all the-answers. Examine closely the dialogue/conversation, not only this episode. Poor Flack, always the dumb one when with Mac. :wtf:. Always comes to something like this:

Flack: Why do you think he took her? :confused:
    Mac: To become his hostage...

OR

Flack: Why do you think he killed X's brother?
    Mac: To avenge his girlfriend's death...
    Flack: Who do you think he's going after next?
    Mac: (dramatic music) X's only remaining family. His youngest brother! (cut to commercial)

WTF? Why can't they make it about two smart officers discussing the situation. Ugh.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

I thought it was okay. Nothing spectacular. Kind of reminded me a little of You Only Die Once from season 4.

I loved Adam in all of his scenes. His one with Hawkes in particular cracked me up.

I enjoyed seeing Danny in a leadership role. Loved the conversation between him and Mac. And while I thought the scenes with Danny and the Rookie were okay. To me there just seemed to be something off about Cooper. Maybe she was just eager to please. Not sure. But she gave me a creepy vibe.

I didn't find it anymore silly than having Jo also a CSI go under cover as a car thief.
    It's a TV show. It's always been about entertainment.

5. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I'm not sure in Real Life, but in season one "The Fall" when Flack wanted Sergeant Moran's memo book, Moran asked, "Is that an order, Detective?" and Flack replied, "If you need it to be." So in that case a detective outranked a sergeant.

6. LoveSela

LoveSela Dead on Arrival

I really like it. I think I'm partial because of all the Jo scenes we got. I adore her.

Not sure I'm liking Danny as a Sergent.

7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

The part about Jo going undercover as a car thief, do you really think they would have let the real car thief do the work?

I thought that part was fine.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

erm, difficult one this - on one hand i quite liked it. the case was interesting enough, the interactions were fun etc etc. but i found the really blatant homage (or just plagiarism) of keyser soze really really hard to handle without laughing. now, mr sinise, you're ace and everything, but no matter how much you want it csiny will *never* be the usual suspects....:lol::lol:

ok so... i made notes! again!

opening: oh look. another shot of woman in skimpy clothes. like we needed more of that....

"wild stallions" - reference to bill & ted deliberate?

liked the music, that was cool.

danny as a teacher - in fact the whole danny shebang:

the deputy looked really familiar.... some of the scenes seemed really (well, more than usual) contrived, some of the acting was pretty rubbish.

it also crossed my mind - could this whole "put danny back in as a cop" thing be an attempt on the producers' part to slightly alter the show's dynamic? a few years ago cop procedurals like csi were all the rage - but now it's the cop shows that are more about beat work and less about procedure that are popular (blue bloods, the sadly short lived chicago code etc) - are csiny aware of this and trying to just ever so slightly shift their dynamic so they can attract that audience too? i mean, good if they are, it's a clever idea, but it does seem a tad... er... blunt.

it also crossed my mind that since the titles still have danny in the lab maybe he'll be going back there - then again they had a titles change when jo arrived so maybe it's too soon for another.

i liked jo's line about ferraris and whether it was stock or modified ones - i always enjoy when she surprises mac.

i also liked mac disturbing jo under the car, that was fun. and the way he tapped her legs with his foot was very reminiscent of when gary as george tapped john malkovich as lennie in the pond scene in OMAM.

adam and jo and mac interact brilliantly together. honestly, they could get rid of all the others (apart from sid) and i'd just watch those three. i liked adam's demo, especially the throwing of the keys. i also liked how mac told him to go get them back after, as a "oh by the way" kind of line.

i quite liked the idea of a genuinely remorseful criminal.

quite liked the scene where we saw danny in mac's role from s1, learning how to be the boss etc.

i think i worked out what annoys me about hawkes - and it's really weird - it's the way he waves his hands about. ok, i know, just call me nuts. i don't mind.

i did quite like adam's demo tho, all the exaggerated pained noises were funny.

also lots of people helping each other up - mac helped jo up and hawkes helped adam up.

lindsay with the gun. bleh.

mac telling nicole to "siddown!!" was totally channeling austin and it was ace

at the end when mac and jo were in the car looking for the drugs or ids or whatever, the light made their lab coats look shiny and grey. mac had on a black shirt and the light made that look shiny too - basically the lighting made mac look like some kind of pimp/pusher. bonkers.

danny in the bar - ok, cheesy as hell and poorly acted but also veeeery reminiscent of... i think it was in s2 when mac was asked to the bar and refused after aiden died but went anyway? i forget exactly - jade nolan will probably know...

ok so back to this keyser soze thing:

1: the guy is some kind of urban legend because of his ferocity
    2: he's impossible to catch
    3: they had an exploding boat - ok so KS wasn't burnt in his boat but his eye witness was, and he was in a fire earlier in the movie.

so yeah, it just felt horribly like a pastiche of the usual suspects (which is one of my favourite films of all time) in parts. that said it was quite entertaining. enjoyed it more than last week's but was baffled too so it's a: B

9. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

That makes sense. However quite frankly I don't enjoy the beat cop shows. Cops, in my experience, have huge egos and I dislike that in reality. Show generally portray it as well. Just watching the ads for blue bloods makes me want to punch Selleck and his cronies.

CSI focuses less on the annoying cop banter, though Flack is a typical obnoxious cop. Whenever he gets pissy with someone on the show I call it, 'Flack's, flacking someone" He gives everyone lip and it is annoying. Danny has quickly picked it up and I didn't like that way he hassled the rookie. I take the approach that law breakers should get cited so bitching at her for writing a ticket seemed wrong to me.

Sorry went on a tangent but it irks me. Overall I liked the episode. Thought it was implausible that there would be that many stolen Ferraris but minor issue. I am a car gal but they aren't my fav.

A-

10. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

I really liked this episode. The story kept me interested all the way through! :)

Here's some notes that I made.

-I think Danny's doing pretty good with being a "boss" so the speak and the nice chatting moment with Mac brought me back s1 where Danny himself was getting lectures from Mac! :lol:

- Jo and Mac scenes were brilliant again! Loved'em! :D

I totally agree with you. Especially that 'omam' reference! ;)

Haha Adam's demontrations! Awesome throwing Mac's keys just like that ! :lol: The look on Mac's face while that...prizeless! :D And I so knew he would make Adam to get the keys back! :D

The end with Mac's line "we would be out of job" was great one. Really made me grin and give a laugh! :)

I think Mac is indeed much more relaxed and he smiles more and all...I gotta admit like that side of him a lot. :) :) :)

So to this episode my grade is A+ :)

11. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

People seem to forget that Jo isn't just a "Lab Rat", she's a senior NYPD Detective, and Second in Command of the NYPD's Crime Lab.

12. grneyes

grneyes Victim

With the exception of Adam, none of them are just "lab rats" as you put it. They've all got their detectives badge--Hawkes and Lindsay included. Which brings us back to the original comments of Lindsay being out of place with the big gun. Sure, the gun was half the size she was and maybe a bit overstated, but she belonged there just as much as Jo belonged undercover as the car thief.

13. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Not sure about Hawkes, but Lindsay is definitely an NYPD detective.

Which takes me back to my original post. If you are going to criticize the fact that Lindsay is a lab rat and shouldn't have been there, then the same must apply to Jo. The fact that she was an FBI agent and is second in command of the Crime Lab means nothing. Remember in Not What It Looks Like when Lindsay went undercover? She only did that because Flack couldn't get an undercover there in time. So that suggests to me there are detectives that specialize in that kind of thing. And as far as we know Jo's specialty is psychology not undercover work.

14. ioanhoratio

ioanhoratio Victim

^The writers tend to take the "easy" way out when it comes to certain plot points. They have a history of sticking the CSIs in situations that they wouldn't normally be in. I don't know a great deal about law enforcement procedures but I've always assumed the CSI team isn't actually as involved in interrogations as they are portrayed on the show. It seems Mac tends to run an investigation of a case much more than I believe the actual head of the crime lab would. I watch a show like Law and Order and the detectives are the ones knee deep in an investigation and the CSU team helps with the evidence.

Ultimately this is a dramatization of reality. It can all get ridiculous. Lindsay with a big-o gun or Jo undercover--it all seemed as equally unlikely to me, but at this point I just consider it par for the course. :lol:

15. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Exactly. Which was kind of the point I was trying to make--that the Jo and Lindsay scenes were both just as equally unrealistic as each other.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011