Ted Danson to join the Las Vegas crew *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by mulder42, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread or in a previous one. If Mods think so, please move to the appropriate place.

That said, I caught this reading about another story at this newspaper website. I couldn't believe it. Mr. Danson is a great actor, but will he fit with Catherine and Company on CSI? Good or bad choice? Tell me what you think, CSI-philes...

Ted Danson to join CSI

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Re: Ted Danson to join the Las Vegas crew

It's fine. :) There is a lot of talk about it in the Spoiler Thread, but it can be discussed here as well. I'm going to go ahead and put a spoiler tag on this one tho just in case.

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Thanks, Smokey. I'm still getting the lay of the land around here. :)

4. LionsHeart

LionsHeart Lab Technician

I can't say I've heard of him before. I checked his credits and the only show I've watched from there is Frasier.
    But it looks like he's got tons of experience from a very different types of shows/movies, so he must be a pretty talented actor. And, if I can be shallow for a minute:), he looks like someone who I could imagine being a supervisor so that won't be a problem.
    So, at least now, I'm happy with TPTB's choice. But I'm saving my final judgement until I actually see him playing the part.

5. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

You've never seen him on Cheers? Or Damages?

6. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Okay I like that we'll have a light hearted character

Don't like that he's gonna be supervisor, hopefully this will addressed on the show, like Nick isn't crazy about becoming supervisor or something but yeah at least when he acts like the boss it's cause he is the boss unlike Ray

I've never seen him in anything, Damages isn't my cup of tea, never watched Cheers though I watch Fraiser some but never seen him in it though

AND PTB I KNOW YOU NEED TO BREAK IN THE NEW CHARACTERS BUT I SWEAR IF GREG GETS THE SEASON 9 TREATMENT ALL OVER AGAIN, I WILL LITERALLY FLIP OUT!!!!!!!!! :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

7. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Why can't they just make Nick the full-time supervisor, since Marg's only going to be on half, I believe, of the season? I don't know why TPTB think they have to keep bringing in new people. We'll see how it goes; I liked Fishburne, and I do like Danson as well. I'm just not sure if he's the right "fit" for crime scene investigating, if you know what I mean.

Ted Danson Hired as New Star of CSI

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. LionsHeart

I haven't watched either of them. Cheers ended when I was 5 :lol: ( though I don't know how it aired here in Finland) and Damages hasn't just interested me.

9. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Well, have you at least seen him in the "Three Men and a..." movies?

Cheers ended when you were 5?!? I guess this just proves I'm a OLD lady...:lol:

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Nah, we're not old.. LionsHeart is just young. ;)

I'm eternally optimistic, so I'll hope that TPTB do it right this time. They're off to a good start, making the new star a supervisor as well. I think that was the major complaint of most against Ray, that he was a rookie CSI, but still seemed to know everything. "Fast study" only goes so far. :p With Danson coming in as a supervisor already, at least his character has the background to know how to solve all the cases. :) Danson also has more experience in TV, especially in ensemble shows, so hopefully he won't take too much screen-time (also, he's staying part-time on another show, right? So hopefully that'll help balance time on CSI too :)).

Really hoping the rest of the cast does come back! This is my first summer break with CSI, since I started watching so late, and it's stressful not knowing. :scream:

11. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'll be honest with you; I don't like that 'he knew everything' stuff. Langston was a doctor, and a professor, so, of course, he knew a lot of things. He took some courses on his own time, and his own dime. But, it did seem like he was a part of every case that was worked, plus he did the whole 3-way 'crossover' episodes, that he was featured in quite a bit, leaving everyone else in the background (minus Horatio & Mac, of course ;)). I'll have to agree to disagree with you on that point.

12. LionsHeart

I think it's a little odd that he's going to do two shows at a time. I don't know what kind of role he has on that other show, but I have the impression that tv actors have usually pretty long work days, so where he's going to find the time? I wonder if it's possible that he's not going to be in every episode but rather in..every other episode or something like that?

Hey, I'm not that young. :lol:

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Well, for me at least, the biggest problem was LF. There I said it. Flame me. He never fit, no matter how they wrote his character. Square peg, round hole.
    I'm not saying he's not a good actor, and he certainly is successful, but sometimes it just isn't the right fit. I said from the beginning LF was too imposing an actor to blend into an ensemble show without overpowering the other actors. And that's probably more of a compliment to him personally than a criticism. His first few episodes as a newbie were somewhat charmingly awkward, but that's not LF. He can be light, I guess, but most of his character roles have been dark and intense, like the Ray we ended up with. That's the type of role he does well. And, being a big screen star doesn't necessarily translate well to the small screen. So, for those of you who liked LF on CSI, we will just have to agree to disagree. This will be the last I speak of it.

All that said, this is exactly why I like the choice of Danson. He's a well respected TV star, recognizable to many, and has tried a variety of roles. Although he mostly is remembered for comedy, he certainly has branched out and been successful in several genres. Most importantly, he's had experience being part of an ensemble, as the lead and, more recently, as a supporting character.

Certainly, a surprise casting move; but a pleasant surprise, IMO. It's hard not to be curious as to how he will fit in. But I am optimistic. Now, I just want to know who will be coming back, ASAP!

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Well, obviously I'm old enough to know Ted Danson's work in the comedy movies and on TV. But he can play creepy too....check out "Something About Amelia".

15. LaSquisita

LaSquisita Rookie

cancel - wrong thread

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011