The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Some very sad news on the Canadian Entertainment scene :(

Roger Abbott a founding member of The Royal Canadian Air Farce has passed away after a 14 year battle with Leukemia :( New Years will never be the same now :(

Canadian Actor Roger Abbot dies at the age of 64

and this was posted on The Royal Canadian Air Farce's website. The video is such a classic tribute :guffaw: Brings back some good memories :)

R.I.P Roger. You and John Morgan will keep everyone laughing now.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I wish this guy stuck around...

Super-glue inventor dies at 94

KINGSPORT, Tenn. — Harry Wesley Coover Jr., known as the inventor of Super Glue, has died. He was 94.

Coover was working for Tennessee Eastman Company, a division of Eastman Kodak, when an accident helped lead to the popular adhesive being discovered, according to his grandson, Adam Paul of South Carolina. An assistant was distressed that some brand new refractometer prisms were ruined when they were glued together by the substance.

In 1951, Coover and another researcher recognized the potential for the strong adhesive, and it was first sold in 1958, according to the Super Glue Corp.'s website.

Cyanoacrylate, the chemical name for the glue, was first uncovered in 1942 in a search for materials to make clear plastic gun sights for World War II. But the compound stuck to everything, which is why it was rejected by researchers, the website said.

President Barack Obama honored Coover in 2010 with the National Medal of Science.

Coover died Saturday at his home in Kingsport, Tenn. He was born in Newark, Del., and received a degree in chemistry from Hobart College in New York before getting a master's degree and Ph.D., from Cornell.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1950s screen idol Farley Granger dead at 85

NEW YORK — Farley Granger, the 1950s bobby sox screen idol who starred in the Alfred Hitchcock classics "Rope" and "Strangers on a Train," died Sunday at his Manhattan home of natural causes, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner's office. He was 85.

Granger was an overnight Hollywood success story, a 16-year-old student at North Hollywood High School when he got the notion that he wanted to act and joined a little theater group.

He made his Broadway debut in 1960 in "First Impressions," a musical version of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." He continued to make films over the years, including "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing," "The Serpent," "The Man called Noon," "The Imagemaker" and "The Whoopee Boys." He made several movies in Italy including Luchino Visconti's "Senso."

He also appeared in several daytime soaps, including "As the World Turns," "Edge of Night" and "One Life to Live," for which he received a Daytime Emmy nomination.

But he said he preferred the stage: "I feel I'm much more relaxed in front of an audience than a camera. I feel the response. The live audience really turns me on and I like it.

3. Dynamo1

Country singer-songwriter Mel McDaniel dies at 68
    Fri Apr 1, 11:39 am ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Mel McDaniel, a husky-voiced country music singer-songwriter with hits like "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" and "Louisiana Saturday Night" has died. He was 68.

Darleen Bieber of Schmidt Relations, the publicists for the Grand Ole Opry, confirmed on Friday morning that McDaniel had died, but had no details.

McDaniel's other hits, most in the early and mid-1980s, included "Stand Up," "Big Ole Brew" and "Let It Roll (Let It Rock)."

The native of Checotah, Okla., sang for oil field workers in Alaska in the 1970s before becoming successful in Nashville. He was a regular on the Grand Ole Opry beginning in 1986.

McDaniel said "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" related to average Americans: "The main thing everybody says to me is, `I can picture that in my mind.'"

4. Dynamo1

Lumet, '12 Angry Men' and 'Network' director, dies
    Apr 9, 1:25 PM (ET)
    DAVID B. CARUSO and BOB THOMAS

NEW YORK (AP) - Sidney Lumet, the award-winning director of such acclaimed films as "Network,""Serpico,""Dog Day Afternoon" and "12 Angry Men," has died. He was 86.

Lumet's death was confirmed Saturday by Marc Kusnetz, who is the husband of Lumet's stepdaughter, Leslie Gimbel. He said Lumet died during the night and had suffered from lymphoma.

A Philadelphia native, Lumet moved to New York City as a child, and it became the location of choice for more than 30 of his films. Although he freely admitted to a lifelong love affair with the city, he often showed its grittier side.

Such dramas as "Prince of the City,""Q&A,""Night Falls on Manhattan" and "Serpico" looked at the hard lives and corruptibility of New York police officers. "Dog Day Afternoon" told the true-life story of two social misfits who set in motion a chain of disastrous events when they tried to rob a New York City bank on an oppressively hot summer afternoon.

"It's not an anti-L.A. thing," Lumet said of his New York favoritism in a 1997 interview. "I just don't like to live in a company town."

Although he didn't work in Los Angeles, the director maintained good relations with the Hollywood studios, partly because he finished his pictures under schedule and budget. His television beginnings had schooled him in working fast, and he rarely shot more than four takes of a scene.

He was nominated four times for directing Academy Awards, and although he never won, Lumet did receive an honorary Oscar in 2005 for lifetime achievement. He also received the Directors Guild of America's prestigious D.W. Griffith Award for lifetime achievement in 1993.

Al Pacino, who produced memorable performances for Lumet in both "Dog Day Afternoon" and "Serpico," introduced the director at the 2005 Academy Awards.

"If you prayed to inhabit a character, Sidney was the priest who listened to your prayers, helped make them come true," the actor said.

Accepting the award, Lumet thanked the many directors who had inspired him, then added, "I guess I'd like to thank the movies (too)."

Lumet immediately established himself as an A-list director with his first theatrical film, 1957's "12 Angry Men," which took an early and powerful look at racial prejudice as it depicted 12 jurors trying to reach a verdict in a trial involving a young Hispanic man wrongly accused of murder. It garnered him his first Academy Award nomination.

Other Oscar nominations were for "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975), "Network" (1976) and "The Verdict" (1982).

"Network," a scathing view of the television business, proved to be Lumet's most memorable film and created an enduring catch phrase when crazed newscaster Peter Finch exhorted his audience to raise their windows and shout, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

It won Academy Awards for Paddy Chayefsky for best screenplay, Finch as best actor (presented posthumously) and Faye Dunaway as best actress.

Although best known for his hard-bitten portrayals of urban life, Lumet's resume also included films based on noted plays: Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night," Arthur Miller's "A View from the Bridge," and Tennessee Williams'"Orpheus Descending," which was made into "The Fugitive Kind." He also dealt with such matters as the Holocaust ("The Pawnbroker"), nuclear war ("Fail-Safe") and the convicted Soviet spies Julius and Ethel Rosenberg ("Daniel").

He directed a highly successful Agatha Christie mystery, the all-star "Murder on the Orient Express," as well.

Other popular Lumet films included "Running On Empty,""Equus,""Family Business' and "The Wiz."

The director was born June 25, 1924, in Philadelphia to a pair of Yiddish stage performers, and he began his show business career as a child actor, appearing on radio at age 4.

He made his Broadway debut in 1934 with a small role in Sidney Kingsley's acclaimed "Dead End," and he twice played Jesus, in Max Reinhardt's production of "The Eternal Road" and Maxwell Anderson's "Journey to Jerusalem."

After serving as a radar repairman in India and Burma during World War II, Lumet returned to New York and formed an acting company. In 1950, Yul Brynner, a friend and a director at CBS-TV, invited him to join the network as an assistant director. Soon he rose to director, working on 150 episodes of the "Danger" thriller as well as other series.

The advent of live TV dramas boosted Lumet's reputation. Like Arthur Penn, John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann and other directors of television drama's Golden Age, he smoothly made the transition to movies.

Lumet continued directing features into his 80s, and in 2001 he returned to his television roots, creating, writing, directing and executive producing a cable series, "100 Centre Street." It was filmed in his beloved New York.

In 2006, he brought out "Find Me Guilty," starring Vin Diesel and based on a true story about a mob trial in New Jersey. His final film was 2007's "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead," starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke and Marisa Tomei.

Lumet once claimed he didn't seek out New York-based projects.

"But any script that starts in New York has got a head start," he said in 1999. "It's a fact the city can become anything you want it to be."

His first three marriages ended in divorce: to actress Rita Gam, heiress Gloria Vanderbilt and Lena Horne's daughter, Gail Jones. In 1980, he married journalist Mary Gimbel.

5. Dynamo1

Nobel laureate William Lipscomb dies at 91

BOSTON — William Nunn Lipscomb Jr., a Harvard University professor who won the Nobel chemistry prize in 1976 for his work on man-made compounds consisting of boron and hydrogen and the problems of chemical bonding, has died, his son said Friday. He was 91.

Lipscomb died Thursday night at Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, Mass., of pneumonia and complications from a fall, said his son, James Lipscomb.

Two of Lipscomb's graduate students and a third who spent time at his lab have won Nobels. Yale University professor Thomas Steitz, who shared the 2009 chemistry prize, said Lipscomb was an inspiring teacher who encouraged creative thinking.

"He was a great mentor, letting us work freely, yet continually putting before us puzzles to be explained," said Lipscomb's first graduate student at Harvard, Roald Hoffman, who was awarded the chemistry prize in 1981.

"From him I learned of the importance of paying attention to experiment for a theoretician (as I was). And not to be afraid of the complexity of the real world," Hoffman, who now teaches at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., told the Associated Press by email.

Lipscomb was born in Ohio and grew up in Lexington, Ky. He graduated from the University of Kentucky and served for four years in the U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development during WWII. He got a doctorate at the California Institute of Technology under the direction of Linus Pauling, the only person to win two individual Nobels (chemistry in 1954 and peace in 1962).

Lipscomb taught at the University of Minnesota for about 13 years before moving to Harvard, where he taught until he reached the school's mandatory retirement age of 70.

Students affectionately referred to him as "Colonel," in part a reference to his upbringing.

"The other reason he was called the Colonel was because at Harvard that time all the faculty were referred to as Dr. So-and-So or Prof. So-and-So ... and I think he didn't want to be called that and nobody called them by their first names _ so we couldn't call him Bill _ but the Colonel was sort of different, and so he could have this informal name," Steitz said.

Then-Kentucky Gov. Wendell Ford granted Lipscomb a commission of a Kentucky Colonel in 1973.

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

CSI:NYfan posted in the CSI LV thread about this. Can't find no articles on it, but found an obit.

Skip O'Brien who played Det. O'Riley on CSI LV died on April 6, 2011

I've left the funeral information out as it already happened.

Skip O'Brien AGE: 60 • formerly of Hazlet Skip O'Brien, 60, of Glendora, Calif., passed away Wednesday, April 6, 2011. Born Bernard Francis O'Brien in Jersey City, Skip moved to Union Beach as a young boy, and lived there until he entered the U.S. Marine Corps in 1968. After graduating from Brookdale College in 1980, he moved to California to pursue his dream of becoming an actor. During his 30 year career, Skip appeared in many commercials, TV series and movies. In 1981, he married Susanne Bordeaux of Aberdeen; they lived in California, where they raised two children, Erin, 23 and Russell, 20. He relocated to Hazlet in 2010 to be close to his family. Skip was predeceased by his parents, Bernard and Margaret O'Brien. He is survived by his wife, Susanne; a daughter, Erin; a son, Russell; a sister, Kathleen O'Brien; a brother, Thomas O'Brien; and numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law.

He will be missed. :(

7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  8. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

RIP Skip you will be missed

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

R.I.P. Skip :( I did like Det. O'Riley.

I don't think I every saw the movie but it is a classic. R.I.P. Michael :(

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Elisabeth Sladen, Classic Doctor Who/The Sarah Jane Smith actress has died. Very sad news. She'll be missed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

12. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

A lovely drawing from Dork Tower

Very sad news about Skip.

13. ricker23

ricker23 Victim

14. Dynamo1

Pastor / Author Rev. David Wilkerson Killed In Texas Car Accident

Rev. David Wilkerson, founding pastor of Times Square Church in New York City and author of the well-known book The Cross and the Switchblade, was killed Wednesday in a head-on collision in Texas. He was 79.

"It is with deepest of sadness that we have to inform you of the sudden passing of Reverend David Wilkerson, our founding pastor," Times Square Church Senior Pastor Carter Conlon said in a statement on the church website.

Wilkerson was driving east on U.S. 175 in Texas Wednesday afternoon, and moved into the opposite lane where a tractor trailer was driving westbound. The truck driver saw the car and tried to move out of the way, but still collided with the pastor's car head on, according to Public Safety Trooper Eric Long.

It's unclear what caused Wilkerson to veer into the other lane. His wife Gwen was also involved in the crash and rushed to the hospital, along with the truck driver. Wilkerson was pronounced dead on the scene.

Wilkerson posted a blog dated April 27 -- the day of his death. In the post, titled "When All Means Fail," he encouraged those facing difficulty to "hold fast" and stand strong in faith.

"To those going through the valley and shadow of death, hear this word: Weeping will last through some dark, awful nights, and in that darkness you will soon hear the Father whisper, "I am with you,'" Wilkerson wrote. "Beloved, God has never failed to act but in goodness and love. When all means fail-his love prevails. Hold fast to your faith. Stand fast in his Word. There is no other hope in this world."

Rev. Wilkerson spent the early part of his ministry reaching out to gang members and drug addicts in New York, as told in his bestselling book "The Cross and the Switchblade".

"The term LEGEND is often used to describe a person of extreme influence but what about a man that supersedes superlatives..david wilkerson," his cousin tweeted right after confirming his death.

In 1971, he started World Challenge, Inc. as an umbrella for his crusades, conferences, evangelism and other ministry. The Times Square Church was founded under the group in 1987.

The church is now led by Pastor Carter Conlon and has more than 8,000 members.

Wilkerson also founded Teen Challenge, a Christian outreach program for troubled young people.

"Please remember the Wilkerson family in your prayers as our founder, Rev. David Wilkerson, went to be with the Lord this evening," Teen Challenge told Twitter followers.

He is survived by his wife, four children and 11 grandchildren.

15. okey7467

okey7467 Civilian

*SPAM*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011