9x13 - 'Last Stand' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Feb 18, 2011.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Ditto Theresa,his time was good, his scenes were great,wonderful high energy from Ryan.Loved the tour bus scene as well as the "eye exam" reading scene with Felix.
    For some reason,I got a laugh out of Horatio thanking "Mr Wolfe" after the scene with the guy against the bus.
    I loved the closing scene too.It felt has if Horatio was now at peace,he could let go of demons.
    That always makes for a great and enjoyable episode.

2. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

It was definitely one of the best of the season (along with "Fallen" and "Happy Birthday", of course)

3. mjszud

mjszud Captain

A decent episode. Not much to comment on, but here goes...

I really like that Ryan's more involved in all the "action" and at the same time still holding down some of the comedy for us -- the tour guide thing was hilarious. Loved every second of him in this episode.

I'm very pleased with the ending, & like most have said, I too hope this is Horatio's closure - let it be done with, please! I was one who actually did enjoy season 4, and I even liked the Mala Noche gang. At the time they seemed very believable (before wardrobe got ahold & "bedazzled" them :wtf:) & it was interesting to see it play out. I also, AT THE TIME, wasn't bothered too awful much about Marisol....I didn't quite buy their "love story" but I didn't dispise her either. It was all the Marisol/Male Noche that came after season 5's premiere that was just far too much for me. I could've done without Memmo's return & the bazillionth Marisol-reference/flashback that had me screaming my bloody head off.

Overall, I had missed the show/characters so much after that dreadful hiatus that just seeing them again made the episode for me. And the closing scene was worth it as well -- I'm all for Horatio finally moving on; hopefully this marks the beginning of that.

4. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I also liked the episode, all except the closing scene. As many have said, all characters were accounted for and in good form. (Aside to DeLynn: the reason you could tolerate Eric is because he lacked, thank god, that puppy dog, wimpy expression, apparently reserved especially for Calleigh).

Regarding the conclusion, don't get me wrong; I also detest the amoral Horatio. Having said that, the sentiment of the closing was anticipated. I never for an instant believed Horatio would kill Fierro deliberately. However, the silence meant to portray deep thought and reminiscences was poorly written. It appeared there was time left and nothing left to say. A very awkward closing scene. These writers have to get their act together. Even though I hold out little hope Adam Rodriguez comes up with an outstanding script, at this point I doubt he could do worse than the staff writers.

5. MelxxWhoLuvsYa

MelxxWhoLuvsYa Rookie

I agree, Ryan was great this episode! Perfect amount of action and energy from him. I also think time-division was good this episode, everyone got something to do - even Frank!!! :)

Me too, I hope that Memmo saying "Be at peace." means Horatio will be and stop abusing every minor suspect that passes by with a sneer. TPTB have picked up on our complaining about MIA characters and unbelievable storylines, so I hope they've heard us when we say dark-H equals an angry audience.

I too enjoyed season 4, but then again, that's when I started watching CSI: Miami.;) Though the episodes were mainly set around gang violence, it was still interesting. Season 5 went down hill and season 6 and 7 had me pulling my hair out!!! :shifty::shifty:

Hopefully, Memmo's put away for good, far away with H's dark side, Ryan's sweatervests and the EC drama ;)

6. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I guess this episode was worth the 5 week wait. I'm glad that they finally put an end to that Memmo storyline ~touch wood~. And can I say I was pleased as punch that Horatio did not shoot Memmo, because that would be just too much. However, the only problem with NOT killing Memmo, is that he can easily escape from prison again and boom his storyline will rear it's ugly head yet again.... :shifty: Hopefully this won't happen and that this really is the closure of the H/Marisol story and all it's subplots and blah blah blah.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Ryan in tonight's epi. I laughed my head off when he came out as the tour bus driver. :lol: I was upset that he didn't join in with Eric on the chase, but he still had quite a bit of action which was great. I hope we can see more of him in the future. :)

Overall great episode, and I'm wondering if there will be a new episode next week even though the Oscars are on. I actually can't deal with another rerun. Enough already! :shifty:

I'd give this episode an A-.

7. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Thought the episode was OK - I'm not one for the "shoot 'em up/testosterone-driven" episodes. I DID like the fact that H didn't kill Memmo, and maybe his little conversation w/Memmo was enough to make him realize he's been pushing things too far w/the police brutality issue. When he said (paraphrasing) that he and H weren't that different, I thought that was the perfect time for H to have a wake-up call, and I really hope he did. :thumbsup:

I'm so sick of the Marisol thing and hope this is the end of that as well. Never bought that storyline, thought it was completely contrived, and if anyone should be angered/outraged and her death it should be DELKO, who grew up w/her and cared for her for the majority of her illness. H knew her for like, what, 5 months (MAYBE)? :rolleyes: It's really Delko's pain - I never bought H's "you killed my wife (of 12 hours) thing. I'm so ready for Marisol to be done with. :rolleyes:

I was happy w/the screen time of the team (although I'm looking forward to Cal being in more than one scene hopefully soon - I do miss her!) Ryan was very good in his "Tour Bus" role, and I loved his line about getting that "Upstanding taxpayer a lawyer" :lol: You could tell he was passionate about the case. Nat was good, too - and I liked the way she interrupted H during his interrogation of that guy in the holding cell (the one w/the son) - it almost seemed to me as if she was saying (w/out saying it), "Hey, H, please don't beat the crap out of this guy - we have a lead. Let's just do our jobs w/out sinking to their level.... PLEASE?"

The shoot-out in the hotel was a bit intense, and I was worried about Frank. Also, Eric being in a situation like that could've triggered some more Post-Tramautic Stress I would think - It was pretty amazing that those guys w/machine guns looked like they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn after they killed the patrol officer :rolleyes:

Overall, it was a passable episode - definitely action-packed and somewhat suspenseful. I kind of liked the "old man" costume - funny to see Memmo like that. Hopefully this is CLOSURE for H and we can all move on from two very poor storylines (H's police brutality and the contrived Marisol debacle...)

8. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I thought this was good with the team working together. It was great to have everybody with equal time. It wasn't all Walter all the time.

I have to agree. Testosterone-based shoot 'em ups are not my thing either.

I'm with you. Lousy shots for professional hit men. Although I admitted Frank was having a bad day, to say the least. When he looked up, he had the same look as the guy in Beverly Hills Cop who said to Rosewood, "You do that again, and I'll shoot you myself!"

Robert LaSardo did a fine job as Memmo. I didn't see the first episode with him; I just read about it. He gives depth to the character. I didn't feel like I was watching a stock idiot.

I too am saying "Thank God, I hope H is off this "I the Jury" kick of his." Maybe for once the writers got a clue and let that end. I personally liked the ending, but it would have been better if some police boats were coming to take Memmo away.

*SIGH* Don't get me started on that.

I for one wish they'd kill the Marisol thing (no pun intended) once and for all. I never got the feeling that H really loved her. Besides, she made him look like a cradle robber.

I'm not sure, but if I'm right, maritime law says if a boat is adrift or aground with the owner dead, the first person who claims that boat owns it. If this is true, H just got himself a nice yacht.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Pretty blah episode, in my opinion.

First, only one Calleigh scene? I hope that, since this episode was written/filmed before Emily had given birth, that they wrote her in a couple more scenes and she was the one who said "I'm sorry, but I'm really, really tired, and I just can't do this much right now." I miss my Calleigh!

Note to wardrobe: don't put Natalia in orange. It blends in too much with her skin! Especially with the saturation filters the show uses.

Also, as others have mentioned, this whole HORATIO OUT FOR REVENNNNNGE schtick is really old. Enough already. Mala Noche can go away, please and thanks. I almost wish Horatio did kill Memmo, since that would be the end of his search, plus we know he wouldn't face any consequences for his actions. :rolleyes:

The ending scene was a nice change from GRRR, ANGRY VIOLENT HORATIO, though. Although, honestly, even if H had NO history with Memmo, nobody would've let him catch the guy on his own. Because that's just stupid- an armed an dangerous criminal with nothing to lose? SWAT would be there. And SWAT should've been there when they went to rescue Miguel too.

Another note to wardrobe: why is Ryan the only one who gets to wear muscle-hugging t-shirts? Eric has some nice muscles too! Why can't he show them off once in a while?

10. slower

slower Lab Technician

Loved this episode!!! The best (IMO) of the year. Testosterone driven or not it was exciting from beginning to end. Loved Ryan's funny moments, excellent time for everyone (except Cal), and the ending was appropriate. To me it was symbolic (H letting go). I agree that this whole Mala Noche thing can rear its ugly head again; I really hope it is TBTB's way of putting it to rest or not.:lol:

11. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Decent episode,especially the ending. Perhaps now H will quit going down the dark path he's been on,as if he does, he'll truly be no better than the man who killed his sister.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

An okay episode. Ryan was adorable in the tour guide jacket. Loved him yelling "Let's get this fine upstanding tax payer a lawyer" LOL. The mask thing was kind of neat and reminded me of the tv show "F/X", which I miss so much lol. Otherwise the Memmo stuff was kind of boring.

The last scene... I was a tiny bit worried that Horatio would actually shoot Memmo. I thought for a bit that the camera would pan far away from them, we'd hear a gunshot and that would be the end. Glad it didn't happen that way.

Good use of pretty much everyone (aside from Calleigh, which is understandable given that Emily was pregnant at the time), even Frank.

What the heck was up with the Mala Noche guys' shirts though? They were way too colorful and some were paisley patterns. That one guy whose son was kidnapped by Memmo, his shirt reminded me of Eric's pastel butterfly shirt from a few seasons back lol.

13. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

liked this episode well enough after such a dry spell. Liked seeing Caleigh working that lab stuff. A lot of running around-guess even lab rat cops (CSI) gotta stay in shape? as for the floral stuff I don't know if that's supposed to be a South FL thing ( I lived there 20+yrs and saw a bit of it) or also a Latino guy thing? Liked the ending since actually God knows who's boat that was? guess Memmo got his gang banger buddies to give him directions but even so Horatio's co workers knew where he was going remember he said "time to set our own trap" to Delko so if he had killed Memmo I think he'd have some 'splainin to do about that. I found it interesting that he kicked the guy several times-(resisiting arrest I guess?) since that's supposed to suggest a few years of pent up anger aimed at his wife's killer...wonder if Eric would have some self control had he'd been allowed some private time w/Memmo? hot headed Cuban would've beat him senseless..

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Her top was more magenta/reddish - her skin is mocha. Perhaps an adjustment on your television would be helpful.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

It was nice to finally see a new episode:) This one had good use of the whole team (I am assuming EP was still pregnant and will be in more scenes later).

Random Thoughts:

--I was afraid this was going to be "Revenge of Eric and Horatio" Hour but glad to see the whole team was working together to stop Memmo.

--Loved almost every scene Ryan was in. His yelling "Let's get this fine upstanding citizen a lawyer" after testing his eyesight with a "I'm guilty" sign and his "stint" as a tour bus guide had me laughing out loud.

--Natalia works so well with everyone!!

--Was worried about Frank and Eric during that shootout. Didn't really think that anything would happen to them but was wondering how they... or Horatio would get them out of it.

--I have a question: about 10-11 minutes before the end, there was some sound issues. Why or how did Memmo end up on the boat?

--Was rather concerned that Horatio was going to shoot Memmo and was relieved when he didn't. The dark Horatio make me rather uncomfortable. It doesn't help that his CSIs (in this episode Ryan), seem to be adopting his methods when dealing with suspects. Hopefully we won't be seeing much more of that side of Horatio.

A stoning next week?!!!:confused: