Grade 'Vigilante'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Feb 18, 2011.

?

How would you grade Vigilante?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That's the song at the very beginning of the episode, so I assumed that's what you meant. I tried to look up the song they played when Hawkes is processing the scene after the opening titles, but I haven't had any luck so far.

2. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Danny is a CSI also, but how often have we seen Danny acting more like a cop than a CSI this season? How often is he inside the lab lately? And his job description is exactly the same as Lindsay's. Isn't Flack the only real "COP" on the show? If your going to find it insulting to the NYPD when one character acts more like a cop than a CSI, shouldn't you find it insulting when another does it?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

Good point, but no I don't find it insulting because in my opinion Belknap is the only one who never pulls off a believable performance. You are right, Danny is a CSI just like Lindsay but his character never broadcasts "being a cop" in such a condescending way. Aside from that, Carmine portrays his character in an authentic way that I consider it rather a wonderful way of paying tribute to NYPD cops whereas Belknap's poor performances always strike me as annoying and not worthy the air time she's been given.

4. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Personally I find it a constant source of annoyance that none of the CSI show seem to know/make the distinction. CSIs don't investigate the case or interview suspects, they analyse the evidence and then pass the results back to the detectives but I guess that would lead to a huge cast and the story wouldn't move on so fast. In the world of TV there are many compromises for the sake of entertainment

5. *NickStone*

*NickStone* Hit and Run

Giving this one an A+

A Fantastic episode that focused on my favourite character. Lindsay was great in this, I loved how had such an obvious conflict between her empathy for Kate and her belief in justice and the law. I really liked the exchange she had with Jo, where she voiced all of these thoughts and had someone to get advice on how to deal with them, her scene with Hawkes was also excellent and Anna and Hill worked really well off each other. But there was no way either Sheldon or Lindsay were going to sway the other to their viewpoint on the vigilante's actions, Sheldon's own experience as the lover of rape-victim gave him an obvious bias that nothing would ever be likely to change. That was why Lindsay needed the talk with Jo, she needed to speak with someone that would be able to see both sides of the argument and understand the conflict she herself was feeling.

I loved the scene where she took down the fleeing suspect, a nice little bit of a kick ass moment that reminded me of earlier scenes of a similar nature, like the tackle in Zoo York and the one where she took down Marcia, the woman wielding a knife at Flack, in "Dead Reckoning" (Season 6 Episode 4) So loved that.

I thought the part with the voice distorter was pretty cool, although, it was easy to see coming. The voice over of both 911 calls was very obviously electronically distorted, I don't know why they couldn't tell just from hearing it, because I could. Still though, the "reveal" scene was cool, especially the way Lindsay used it to call Mac.

I also so the whole "the lawyer did it" twist coming a mile off, so that really was no surprise.

So yeah, really liked this one because Lindsay was in main focus. It gets a definite A+

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The CSIs in CSI: NY are also working detectives. To me it makes sense, but I do wish they focused more on investigating crimes rather than chasing after suspects.

7. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Whether she gave a poor performance is a matter of personal opinion. So is saying Carmine portrays his character in an authentic way. I'm not saying you cant think that way, you are entitled to an opinion. I am just curious as to why you would make a comment like
    if you just didn't like her performance?

8. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

And I gladly discuss it.

Of course, it's always a matter of personal taste no doubt about that. Aside from her performance, I am very sensitive when it comes to how law enforcement officers are presented on TV or in movies. There is only so much I can take and I guess "Vigilante" provoked me too much in that matter. The fact that I am not fond of her as an actress and the particular way it was put together in words (by the writers) just bugged me and left a very bad aftertaste. So my statement was based on several different aspects that just came together at once.

9. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Thanks for replying Joey. The reason for my initial comment was because you seemed to be singling her out in your statement when you said you thought it could be insulting to the NYPD that she was acting like a cop when she wasn't. Like Vegas said The CSI's on this show-- bar Hawkes-- are CSI detectives, so I couldn't understand where you were coming from. Its why I mentioned Danny as being as the same rank as Lindsay. And that the only true "COP" on this show was Flack. So thanks for clarifying why you made that comment. And while I don't agree with you about Anna's acting--I thought she was great last night--I do understand its your right not to like her performances.

Can anyone tell me if Real CSI"s carry guns? Its something I have always wondered about.

10. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

No need to justify your statement/questions as I also understand where you were coming from. I have no problem in discussing such things as long as I am asked in a civil way. I'll remember that for next time to be a bit more specific perhaps. And I am glad you enjoyed Anna's episode. No matter how I feel about her, it must have been a great episode for her fans.

Regarding your question I found out that forensic scientists can carry guns if they have a license but aren't provided one by the police force. I guess it depends on each individual state though.

11. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

Joey,thanks for your reply about CSI's and guns. That is very interesting that they can carry one but the police force doesn't actually issue them.

Also I am glad we were able to be civil with one another. Yeah we don't see eye to eye on some things, but its good we can have a conversation without either of us getting defensive.

12. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I was just following Faylynn's lead so I'm sorry HS that it wasn't the right song
    I didn't even hear it- I missed the first 5 mins of the show, so can anyone give HS some help in finding out what it is? :confused: Thanks! :)

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

well i didn't hate it as much as the last couple. i didn't think it was great tho. i think it helped that i was talking to jade_nolan on skype while watching and we were able to take the piss out of it and/or vent about it at the time, which left me feeling much less angry about it!

i guess my biggest issues were these:

1: this case was basically a copy of commuted sentences with a touch of aiden's rape case thrown in. once again the writers are being original then...

that said the fact it was the lawyer was something i didn't see coming, so that was nice.

2: lindsay. ugh. or more accurately "yawn"

that bit when she said "i don't know how you practice law but your client is in a lot of trouble" managed to be supremely ignorant and extremely patronising all in one go.

3: hawkes: just stop pontificating, you're talking crap and no one cares. it also bugged me that i agreed with lindsay against what he was saying (argh!!!!)

4: mac saying "he's dead" - ha, you think?!

5: "there's a void" - yes, in the writers' heads/talents/imaginations

6: that voice changer thing - wow, well, i had NO idea *holds up ginormous sarcasm sign* - then later when lindsay "discovered" this strange entity called a voice distorter - you can buy them from joke shops and on amazon, how the hell did you need to "discover" it you dozy woman. jesus. although that's just as much down to bad writing - did they really think people would be so shocked by a toy that can change your voice that is widely available for pranks? but putting that line into lindsay's hands didn't help her or their cause.

7: jo & lindsay chatting about the demands on victims to give evidence was *exactly* the same as mac's chat with flack about witness protection a few weeks ago.

so yeah, not a bad ep really but it was brought down by being too lindsay centric (which i realise is really just personal preference so i know certain people will disagree with that and that's fine) and brought down much much more by a total lack of originality on the part of the writers. taking 2 old cases and rehashing them with a little twist (plus quite a bit of recycled dialogue/character interaction) does not constitute doing a good job.

so yeah a B- i guess. last week i graded much more harshly which was maybe a little unfair as the ep itself wasn't so bad, but i'm getting sick of the writers and their total lack of originality, interest and so on, so last week's managed to get all of my annoyance that i'd been building up. now that's been vented i can be a bit more balanced about this week's.

and bring on kidnapped mac next week - woohoo! :D

14. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

^^ Yeah, I figured they used a voice distorter from the beginning. It was like they were saying a woman couldn't have the guts to kill a guy. To me it was kind of patronizing. But all in all the show didn't bother as much as some of the other season 7 shows.

15. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

yes, talking on skype while watching the ep made me waaaaay less frustrated as we could get all our scathing sarcasm out and not get mad afterwards :lol: And as you might have figured out, I do not have the most glowing opinion of this ep.

To start off, it wasn't horrible or anything, just extraordinarily boring and mallet-y. I think it was the latter that ticked me off the most. I understand having to overexplain certain things for the general viewing public, but a) we've had YEARS of law/crime shows, and i think the average person knows far more than tv writers give them credit for, and b) it really is overkill sometimes... :rolleyes: Did Lindsey really have to say "It's Kate Price!" when her name was in huuuuuuge letters under her picture? I can see looking between the picture and Hawkes(?) who showed it to her and saying her name in a sort of shocked voice, but she didn't, and it came across as if we couldn't read.... :shifty:

And i was sooooooooooo happy with Mac's shortness with Adam and Lindsey over the voice changer thing. What with the way they called him and waffled on and on about the obvious, i wanted to smack both of them over the head! And "It's a woman!".....? really? really? who do you think is most likely going to use a voice changer...?!:rolleyes: So YAY for Mac mirroring my irritation sort of! :lol: (which is unusual that i feel that way toward Adam too, as i typically love his interactions regardless of the position he finds himself in, but maybe the whole scene was unsalvageable....)

The philisophical pontificating annoyed me too, and i don't think it's because that they do it, but rather how. It always comes across as one person being all disalusioned/frustrated/depressed/whatever, and the other person being all noble/by-the-book/story-from-my-past/ect.... Which i guess isn't bad in and of itself, but it never gets delivered right. Maybe because as a 7-year Paramedic, i've had those real-life "how do you deal with it?" (on both sides of the conversation might i add) discussions, and the actors just don't know how to portray the emotions involved. Gary doesn't do a bad job (hell, wordless acting is kinda his thing ;) ), but the lines he's given are so preachy it's hard to salvage. And Jo last night... her scripted content was ok, but there was NO emotion involved...nothing... and that really bugged me. You know, maybe that's why too i was soooooooo annoyed with the Lindswy/Hawkes scene. There was simply no conviction to any of it. Hawkes talked about how his girlfriend was raped and how he had thought of killing the guy, but he didn't show any anger, disgust, shame, passion, nothing.

wow, i can't believe i'm indirectly arguing for the writers here.... because good material will never come across as such if it's not acted with conviction and complete dedication. But borderline material is insufferable if not done right, and i think this latter is part of the problem. Which was why i was shocked i was irritated with Adam, because AJ does a brilliant job!

But talking about the writers, i am not writing them a you-are-excused-slip because of sub-par acting. This ep was a complete rehash. But looking at it objectively and with the ratings in mind (i can't believe i'm going to somewhat defend them again....!), i think it was a enough of a compilation rehash to keep most of the general viewers interested. Because face it, there aren't that many who could possibly recall individual eps from s4 back, let alone piece together three of them and recognize it in this one.... we're the vast minority...! ;):lol:

On the positive, Gary/Mac was looking real fine :devil: And I was super excited to see the crime scene jacket/flac vest/gun combo again! :devil: And that dark stripy shirt with the matte black suit..... :drool: *cough* anyway...

Also something that made me laugh was Flack's reaction when they went into the gym and the pole dance class was going on :guffaw::guffaw: Eddie is brilliant, and his parts are typically some of the highlights of nearly every ep :)

Overall it wasn't bad. I just have some lingering frustration, and hopefully that will be blown away with Mac getting himself in trouble and kidnapped next week *bounces excitedly* !!!!! :D :D

B-